Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seeing a dietitian/nutritionist? *update

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 12:59 PM
  • 14 Replies

I had another prenatal appointment today, and am now officially 6 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight, at almost 21 weeks. I've been watching my exercise more closely, and I do have the occasional day where I binge or have that extra piece of cake, so I'm not sure what's happening. My doctor is not pleased, and has put in a referral for me to see a dietitian/nutritionist person to help me adjust my diet appropriately to at least prevent further weight loss. I'm healthy overall, and she knows I eat a healthy diet, lots of fruits and vegetables and protein (chicken, turkey, beef) and seafood, though I have been cutting back on the fish. I just don't eat a lot of carbs. I can go days without eating anything but that. Anyway, has anyone else ever had to do this? Or have any tips for at least preventing weight loss? And not exercising is not an option. I tried that one day, just to see, and I just felt awful and icky and just off all day. 

Update

**Update

It had nothing to do with my exercise, which I have been cleared to continue. Apparently, pregnancy did cause one major change to my body, it kicked my thyroid into overdrive. I ended up in the ER on 1/28, feel awful, shaky, dizzy, palpitations. I was in what they call a thyroid storm, an acute, potentially life threatening situation when someone has hyperthyroidism.  I was admitted to the ICU, they tried to treat it with medications, but that didn't work so February 1st I ended up in surgery to have part of my thyroid removed since my body wasn't responding to any of the medications, and obviously radiation isn't an option while pregnant. I'm still in the hospital, but in a regular medical unit now and should be able to go home tomorrow or the day after. That's why I was losing weight though, everything was increased, including my metabolism. My doctor said it's rare for it to hit so hard to quickly, but pregnancy can do wacky things. 

Baby boy still appears perfectly healthy. I'm 23 weeks and 3 days now. 

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabrandy03
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM
I've never had problems gaining weight during pregnancy but tend to have a hard time keeping weight on while breastfeeding. I just sort of waste away if I'm not diligent about making sure I take in enough. I'm not a big carb eater either so I try to make up for it by eating a lot of healthy fats and protein. I eat tons of avocados, peanut butter, almonds, cashews, yogurt, cheese, I drink a lot of smoothies with full fat yogurt or even a little coconut oil in them.
-Phoebe-
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:18 AM

Quoting cabrandy03: I've never had problems gaining weight during pregnancy but tend to have a hard time keeping weight on while breastfeeding. I just sort of waste away if I'm not diligent about making sure I take in enough. I'm not a big carb eater either so I try to make up for it by eating a lot of healthy fats and protein. I eat tons of avocados, peanut butter, almonds, cashews, yogurt, cheese, I drink a lot of smoothies with full fat yogurt or even a little coconut oil in them.

I love almonds, avocados, cashews, and cheese. I don't like yogurt that much, but eat a cup every day for GI health. I've spent a lot of time looking over what I've eaten the last few weeks, and even if I'm not meeting the required 300 extra calories every day, there isn't really a reason that I'm dropping this much weight. My doctor did have more blood drawn yesterday, so maybe that'll show something. 

Azure
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:21 AM

Maybe a thyroid issue?

I don't usually gain much weight due to my morning sickness, but I'm overweight so it's not usually an issue during my pregnancies.

I also really love my carbs. ;)

Are there any carbs you do really love?

-Phoebe-
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:44 AM

Quoting Azure:

Maybe a thyroid issue?

I don't usually gain much weight due to my morning sickness, but I'm overweight so it's not usually an issue during my pregnancies.

I also really love my carbs. ;)

Are there any carbs you do really love?

I"ve never had any kind of issues like that before, but she did have more blood work drawn yesterday, so maybe that'll show something. 

I like cupcakes and pies, but only sometimes. I've pigged out a few times, but it's not a regular thing at all. RIght now, they just don't sound appealing at all. I will have some sushi today, and that'll have rice in it. 

amf0909
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 4:34 PM
Im down 14 ponds and 15 weeks. I have an appt in 2 weeks. I was down 8 at last appt and no concern...but i am already on the larger side...i lost 20 with my daughter until 7 months then gained it plus 20 pounds by the end... I cut out all sugary drinks and candy so i think thats what contributed to me weight loss
-Phoebe-
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 6:36 PM

bump for the update

newmelly2009
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow! I'm so sorry glad that's over for you

Quoting -Phoebe-:

bump for the update

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 9:03 PM
I'm so glad he is healthy and they found this! My sister had her thyroid removed. Thankfully for you it was only partially!
-Phoebe-
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2017 at 9:09 AM

Quoting Precious333: I'm so glad he is healthy and they found this! My sister had her thyroid removed. Thankfully for you it was only partially!

Me too. I'm just glad we finally figured out what was going. I just knew it wasn't because of what I was doing, but something was obviously going on. 

Luke8212013
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2017 at 9:47 AM
Glad to hear you're ok! How scary!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)