Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Outer cervix open, inner cervix closed? WTH?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:33 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm 32 weeks with my 4th baby and was having back pain/cramping and abdominal pain so they did an internal today and my OB said my outer cervix was open a little bit and my inner cervix was closed and tight. What the heck does that mean? 

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmelly2009
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:56 PM
I never heard that one! Lol did you google?
Azure
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2017 at 7:50 AM

I've never heard that said, but my guess is he was wanting to give you hope, but ultimately your cervix is still closed.

-Phoebe-
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 9:43 AM

It sounds like your cervix is long and thick, and the external oz has opened, while the internal hasn't. The cervix looks kind of like a tunnel, when it isn't effaced. 

lifeofmarissa_
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah but I found different answers. So confusing! Haha

Quoting newmelly2009: I never heard that one! Lol did you google?

Mandy270429
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 4:57 PM
You know how when you get a cervical check and they tell you something like your 2cm dilated and 20% effaced ??? It's like that ... your cervix is open and the inside is closed where you would efface if that makes any sense
lifeofmarissa_
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 7:38 PM

So I'm dilating already? I wouldnt be mad lol this has been a ROUGH pregnancy. 

Quoting Mandy270429: You know how when you get a cervical check and they tell you something like your 2cm dilated and 20% effaced ??? It's like that ... your cervix is open and the inside is closed where you would efface if that makes any sense

StaciF
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:45 PM
It's called funneling and is really common in subsequent pregnancies. It's not that big of a deal for the outer cervix to dilate some earlier - mine always does. Doesn't mean you're close to labor.
Precious333
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:10 PM
I'm curious why they are checking you at 32 weeks? Did they suspect could go into preterm labor?
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 10:18 PM

I guess the baby wants to sleep in, lol!

lifeofmarissa_
by Member on Jan. 28, 2017 at 10:56 AM

I was contracting and cramping/terrible back pain so they wanted to make sure it wasnt the real deal. 

Quoting Precious333: I'm curious why they are checking you at 32 weeks? Did they suspect could go into preterm labor?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)