Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

ANYONE HEARD OF THIS ONE????!!!

Posted by on May. 15, 2007 at 9:43 AM
  • 4 Replies
hi,
so my friend told me something that she said she wishes someone had told her prior to birth.  She said that after birth, you get really constipated and then when you finally can go to the bathroom, it really hurts. she said that I should take a laxative.  so what do you all think?  have you heard this? 
by on May. 15, 2007 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Sarahem
by on May. 15, 2007 at 9:49 AM
I personally had diarrhea so bad immediately after birth and for the next day.  After that, I didn't have to go for a few days, because I was all "cleaned out".  Then, I was so terrified to go, I was holding it, even though I knew this was bad.  I had gotten hemorrhoids from pushing (birth).  I would just try to eat plenty of fruit, maybe take a fiber supplement and drink plenty of water to be on the safe side.  A laxative might add to all of the discomfort you will already be experiencing.

*Just realized I forgot to say that as a result of holding it, it was painful.  I mean, obviously I don't think this is a good idea, I was just saying how scared I was.  And when you do go, it's not like another childbirth or anything!
mommacat
by on May. 15, 2007 at 10:40 AM
Yes it can happen but that doesn't mean it will. After having my first they gave me stool softeners and a prescription for them as well, although I bought the OTC instead. I can't remember if they did after my 2nd or not but I didn't have any trouble. Don't do like the pp said she did and hold it in that's where you have problems. Ask your dr what is best for you to take after giving birth!
riotgrrl
by on May. 15, 2007 at 11:14 AM

I was also offered the stool softeners but didn't need them. Everything down there is a little tender for a couple weeks afterwards, including passing a BM, but I didn't find it to be actually painful or anything. If you do find it to be so, your OB can help you out. Don't be afraid to call the Dr with any concerns or pains in the weeks following childbirth, for you or for the the baby. They'll help you out.

LisaH2007
by on May. 15, 2007 at 12:46 PM
After giving birth to my my daughter I was given some stool softener pills.  So it didn't hurt a bit.  But, was told I should take one a day for about 2 weeks.  Until your body kinda goes back to normal.  It really was no big deal, and didn't hurt a bit.  Wishing you much luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)