Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am new to this whole experience

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi, I am a pregnant mother who is single and going to be raising my child without the father.

I will however have the help of my mom, brother and father, shortly after the baby is born i will be 22 years old.

I am looking for some guidance on how to cope with the single parenting lifestyle, how to stay positve on a day to day basis and any parenting tips would be forever welcomed.

Thank you :)
by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luke8212013
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:13 PM
I don't have any personal advice. I'm glad to hear you have a support system with your family.
Maybe look into wic, see if you can get into that program? Best of luck to you!
FIRSTTIMEMOMXO
by Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM
I will not be needing wic
But thank you!
newmelly2009
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:23 PM
Wic is good to help financially, stay close to positive people in your life. Preferably ones with kids! Everything will work out, congratulations
FIRSTTIMEMOMXO
by Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:31 PM
Because I'm still on my moms insurance and living with them wic will not be necessary but I appreciate that! Thank you!
SSMama0209
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Really, just take it one day at a time. I was a single mom with my eldest. I was 21 and lived with my grandfather. There will be rough days, days you feel like you're failing (that's true single or not), but just remember you are doing your best for your little one. That's all that matters.

FIRSTTIMEMOMXO
by Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:30 PM
Thank you!!!
Lollypeg9896
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this
Ha I'm not sure why everyone is recommending WIC. Is that like a single mom's support group??

Anyway, congratulations and take it one day at a time. It's really no different than if the father were there day to day, except you need to perfect your time management skills a little more. You will find your own rhythm pretty quickly after baby arrives. My top tip is: Accept help from people you trust and enjoy motherhood!
FIRSTTIMEMOMXO
by Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 5:43 PM
Thank you! And it's a program to help women and infants and children get what they need
Mammacra
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Get the book the baby whisperer and the book on becoming baby wise those are really great to read while pregnant and give amazing tips that can help you become in tune with your baby. They also give great tips on time management and trying to get baby on a schedule. All very important when going solo. Have your mom read them too so she is on the same page. Consistency is key! Do you work or attend school?

If you plan on nursing scope out private places to pump when you return to work/school and looking up laws in your state about breastfeeding can be helpful to know ahead of time.

To save money try to get baby gear second hand and use coupons for things like diapers. Just because you HAVE money doesn't mean you should waste it by overpriced stuff. I'm on number 5 and I don't buy new baby gear or clothes unless it's an incredible deal. Just because I can afford to go to BabiesRUs and buy a new mamaroo doesn't mean I will not in 100 years I scored on second hand today for $100 and I know I can sell it for that when I'm done using it. Just planning ahead and being smart financially will be helpful. Make sure you shop a year ahead in clearance sections that way your child will always have whatever they need without you having to scramble last minute. My dd is 2.5 I'm working on her 4t/5t wardrobe right now organized in bins. I have boys 6, 7, & 10 if I get a gift card for one of the younger boys I buy clothes for the older one because I save them and hand them down.

You will do fine. As soon as you get your baby's social security card and birth certificate you can open up a savings account for them. All cash checks or money given to my kids even as a "baby gift" I deposit into their savings account it's amazing how fast it accumulates.

Parenting a baby is easy it's when they start talking and walking things change and sassy toddlers and difficult school age battles then the dreaded teen years. You will figure it out fast! Congratulations and welcome to the group!
FIRSTTIMEMOMXO
by Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 6:48 PM
I appreciate all that advice thank you so much!!!❤️❤️❤️

Quoting Mammacra: Get the book the baby whisperer and the book on becoming baby wise those are really great to read while pregnant and give amazing tips that can help you become in tune with your baby. They also give great tips on time management and trying to get baby on a schedule. All very important when going solo. Have your mom read them too so she is on the same page. Consistency is key! Do you work or attend school?

If you plan on nursing scope out private places to pump when you return to work/school and looking up laws in your state about breastfeeding can be helpful to know ahead of time.

To save money try to get baby gear second hand and use coupons for things like diapers. Just because you HAVE money doesn't mean you should waste it by overpriced stuff. I'm on number 5 and I don't buy new baby gear or clothes unless it's an incredible deal. Just because I can afford to go to BabiesRUs and buy a new mamaroo doesn't mean I will not in 100 years I scored on second hand today for $100 and I know I can sell it for that when I'm done using it. Just planning ahead and being smart financially will be helpful. Make sure you shop a year ahead in clearance sections that way your child will always have whatever they need without you having to scramble last minute. My dd is 2.5 I'm working on her 4t/5t wardrobe right now organized in bins. I have boys 6, 7, & 10 if I get a gift card for one of the younger boys I buy clothes for the older one because I save them and hand them down.

You will do fine. As soon as you get your baby's social security card and birth certificate you can open up a savings account for them. All cash checks or money given to my kids even as a "baby gift" I deposit into their savings account it's amazing how fast it accumulates.

Parenting a baby is easy it's when they start talking and walking things change and sassy toddlers and difficult school age battles then the dreaded teen years. You will figure it out fast! Congratulations and welcome to the group!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)