Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smelly umbilical cord stump, is that normal??

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 1:42 PM
  • 4 Replies

Soo before I continue, I did call the doc today and ill explain what she said. Our first appointment is 3/22 and he's 6days old. There is no redness around it, no fever, no blood etc. but it smells HORRIBLE and is got a slight oozing of what looks like puss and the stump is loose, if I were to pull on it lightly it would come right off.(baby is great other than this)

the nurse at the doc office told me that if there's fever, redness, or any physical issues with my son, go to ER. She said to clean it real good 1 time with alcohol and if the oozing continues go to ER.

I cleaned it with alcohol and it still smells, maybe even worse. And it looked like it was going to fall off during cleaning so I was being extra gentle. I don't remember this with my last two, so is this smell normal or what? I really don't want to go to ER especially with how bad the flu has been.

by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Luke8212013
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
The smell is not normal and it shouldn't be oozing. Can the office fit you in to see the baby there? I'd rather a pediatrician look at baby rather then a busy er doc who will probably refer you back to your doctor anyway.
nanasue31204
by Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't remember any smell or oozing really, maybe a tiny bit right when it fell off. With my daughter it took almost 3 weeks to fall off, it didn't dry like my boys did but still no smell. I'd try getting into the pediatrician
GlitterInTheAir
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like an infection. I wouldn't go to the ER, but would go to the pedi
Mammacra
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I would put a bandage on it and go in the morning. The bandage will just help his clothes from pulling on it further irritating it. Yes I know airing it out is best but to get through the night until you see the pediatrician slap a bandaid on it so the stump isn't getting rubbed around under clothes or during diaper changes. I have put bandaids in my babies stumps that were half way off but not completely ready to fall off and we were headed to the pediatrician within a day or 2.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)