Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How are you buying for baby on a budget?

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:20 AM
  • 23 Replies

There is SO much i need to buy for this baby but have very little money!  We have a huge kid consignment thing going on next week near me that I will try to get some cheap stuff at.  But how are you getting things mega cheap?  I'm obviously totally fine with used (except bottles, not sure about used bottles, think those are ok?).  Like I need a ton of burp cloths, but I want/need the really good thick ones and those are not cheap new!  Being our last baby likely, I hate spending a ton of money on stuff baby will only use for a short period of time.  I'm good on most of my big items, it's more the middle of the road stuff-monitor, bottles, bath tub, nursing supplies, pacifiers, etc.

by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
janessa27
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Definitely the consignment sale, yard sales, FB yard sale sites, etc. A lot of people will even post what they are looking for and get tons of responses. If you were to get used bottles, you could boil them really good before they are used. They even have the sanitizing microwaveable bags at Babys R Us that help sanitize things quicker:)

nanasue31204
by Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:12 AM
I use the cloth diapers from Walmart as burp cloths. They are thick and a good size but only cost like $6-7 for 10 I think. I would think used bottles would be fine as long as you boil them and buy new nipples. I haven't dealt with bottles for my last 2 babies, I breastfeed and my daughters refuse to take them. Other stuff I got I shopped online and tried finding it for cheap/clearanced. My newborn is my 5th and she wasn't planned, we were done after my 4th and had sold or donated all her baby stuff so we had to start over and I don't want to spend a fortune on stuff either.
modmommabear
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:06 PM
Try asking, many times people just want to get baby stuff gone. I know in the past I've both given and got a ton of stuff for free! Ask on Facebook yard sales, your church, friends who are on their last child. Also hunt yard sales, thrift stores, and sometimes even the welfare office will know of some resources.
goddess99
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 3:12 PM
I used many used items. Things can be bleached or boiled.
_ethansmommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 3:18 PM
Burp rags are pointless when you can use a hand towel. I never used them after my first, and I have 4 kiddos lol. I have saved my baby clothes and have lots of hand me downs and I use craigslist and what no to get other things. Trading is great too
Stevensmomma
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:10 PM
I use cloth diapers for burp cloths just gerber brand ones they are thick and cheap.
Bath tub you can get new for cheap at Walmart like $15
Other items hit up yard sales and trade with friends and Craigslist.
DixonBabies
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:33 PM
The fb market in my area always have a ton of baby stuff
momofnatalie
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:01 PM

I found great things at consignment sales.  I use coupons for diapers and when you sign up for registries you will get a nice coupon for signing up.  I agree, cloth diapers make great burp cloths.  I talked to everyone I knew and people had stuff they didn't use anymore so I got a lot of hand me downs.  

scoopneck99
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:18 PM

Babies don't need a lot. Basic clothes. Don't overbuy because honestly they probably won't wear it. Also don't buy diapers too far in advance, you don't know how long they will stay in a size, I'd buy a big pack of each if it's a great deal because eventually they will wear them and you won't be stuck with 5 cases of size ones for a baby that blew past them in two weeks. Lol. All you need is a car seat and a bassinet in the beginning. Strollers are great but not necessary, you can find a baby carrier for around $30. Breastfeed. If you can't, sign up for wic if you qualify. Receiving blankets work great as burp cloths, they're cheaper too and you can cut them into 4. 

Eta. A baby monitor isn't necessary, you can use the sink if you don't have a baby tub(they really only need a wash cloth bath in the beginning anyway), you can get a pump from insurance, buy cloth nursing pads. They are about 10 for a pack of 8 I think. Then you can wash them and not waste money. Cloth diapers are great but messy especially with breastfed babies, that yellow poop gets everywhere. Lol. A lot of stuff is overrated and just takes up space for being used once or twice. A boppy is great if you're breastfeeding but if you don't want to spend 50 on one you can buy a cover for 10 and roll up a thick plush towel or blanket to put inside of it. 

virginiamama71
by on Aug. 9, 2017 at 6:41 PM

Ask family and friends if they have any items no longer in use.

Also freeycle or facebook yardsales in your area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)