Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ultrasound Question

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:24 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hey Hey!

so at the ER Monday my husband saw they located the fetal pole and dated me 5 weeks 3 days.

On an April babies 2018 Facebook group A LOT of women are sharing their 5 week ultrasounds with no fetal poles. I've only seen 6 week shares with them.

Why do I feel like I've been miss dated by the ER or something odd is happening?

It would have put me to have conceived the 21st of July which kind of adds up since I got my positive PPL the morning of the 19th.

There was only one and my levels were high (16,120).

Thoughts? is it normal to see the fetal pole that early? Everyone I look into it, it says you don't see a fetal pole until possibly between 5.5 and 6.5 weeks.
by on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
modmommabear
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:26 PM
Due dates are a guess.
BMead1695
by Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:29 PM
so them measuring and dating me 5 weeks almost 6 weeks now, a guess??

Quoting modmommabear: Due dates are a guess.
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Seeing the fetal pole has more to do with your levels than how far along you are. Most women have lower hcg at 5 weeks, which is why they can't see the fetal pole until later when their levels are higher. I had an ultrasound at 5w3d and saw the fetal pole. My levels were on the higher side too at 12,000. So it is possible that early. Not as common but not unusual either.
BMead1695
by Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM
oh wow really? I thought at or above 1500 hcg was the starting point of being able to locate the fetal pole?

is high hcg in the teens like I am and you were bad?

Quoting C.H.E.L.S.E.A: Seeing the fetal pole has more to do with your levels than how far along you are. Most women have lower hcg at 5 weeks, which is why they can't see the fetal pole until later when their levels are higher. I had an ultrasound at 5w3d and saw the fetal pole. My levels were on the higher side too at 12,000. So it is possible that early. Not as common but not unusual either.
modmommabear
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM
I have no clue but seeing a fetal pole at that point doesn't seem like a big deal. What does your doctor say?

Quoting BMead1695: so them measuring and dating me 5 weeks almost 6 weeks now, a guess??

browncoat
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:34 PM
Estimating due dates based on an ultrasound in the first trimester is the most accurate way to do it. Most women don't really know exactly when they ovulated, and implantation occurs over the span of several days as well, so there's variation in what you will see in the 5th and 6th week. It also can depend on the anatomy of the uterus, quality of the machine, etc. and pregnancies do develop differently as well, so even though every blastocyst/embryo/fetus follows a fairly similar pattern, growth rate will be slightly different.

So it's not unsurprising to see a fetal pole sometimes at 5.5 weeks and sometimes not until 6/6.5. One of my pregnancies I saw a fetal pole and heartbeat in the 5th week (very positive on dates because he was an IVF baby).

Quoting BMead1695: so them measuring and dating me 5 weeks almost 6 weeks now, a guess??
BMead1695
by Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:34 PM
Well my doc didn't say anything about the ultrasound taken at the ER but was pleased with the progress in only 9 days with my levels and how high they've gotten.

Quoting modmommabear: I have no clue but seeing a fetal pole at that point doesn't seem like a big deal. What does your doctor say?

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 8:57 PM
Yes but some women don't have hcg levels of 1,500 until closer to 6 weeks. It can really vary by each woman and each pregnancy. Nothing wrong with having a higher hcg. For some reason my hcg levels just rise and double quickly. Probably the same for you too.

Quoting BMead1695: oh wow really? I thought at or above 1500 hcg was the starting point of being able to locate the fetal pole?

Quoting C.H.E.L.S.E.A: Seeing the fetal pole has more to do with your levels than how far along you are. Most women have lower hcg at 5 weeks, which is why they can't see the fetal pole until later when their levels are higher. I had an ultrasound at 5w3d and saw the fetal pole. My levels were on the higher side too at 12,000. So it is possible that early. Not as common but not unusual either.
BMead1695
by Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 9:02 PM
that's good to hear though.

my first pregnancy which ended in a missed miscarriage, I had a 30 something level at 4 weeks, went 5 days later they rose to 200 something then at 12 weeks when I began to miscarry, they checked my levels and they were at 2380. baby stopped at 6+5.

so seeing these high levels so fast is very new and surprising, especially seeing the fetal pole when they saw nothing in the sac of my miscarried pregnancy.

Quoting C.H.E.L.S.E.A: Yes but some women don't have hcg levels of 1,500 until closer to 6 weeks. It can really vary by each woman and each pregnancy. Nothing wrong with having a higher hcg. For some reason my hcg levels just rise and double quickly. Probably the same for you too.

Quoting BMead1695: oh wow really? I thought at or above 1500 hcg was the starting point of being able to locate the fetal pole?

B3autifulCha0s
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 9:05 PM
I had my first u/s at 5wks 2days. No fetal pole and my HCG was 6998. I have another one tomorrow. I'll be 6wks 2days based on the last measurement. They said they should see a fetal pole then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)