Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Longer to TTC?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2017 at 7:21 PM
  • 22 Replies

I woke up this morning to my period. And just to make sure I really get that I'm not pregnant, it's also a lot heavier than normal :(

This will be our 8th cycle to ttc, which I'm well aware is not that long, I know it can take up to a year for a healthy couple, but all 4 of my previous pregnancies (3 deliveries, 1 loss) have happened in less than 2 months, so for us, this is a lot longer. I'm 26, so age really shouldn't be a factor. 

My mother had something similar happen, she had no trouble getting pregnant with my oldest brother, but then couldn't get pregnant again, they adopted my second brother, and then, 27 years after her first pregnancy, got pregnant with me. 

I'm thankful for the children I have, but we do want more, and it just makes me very nervous that it's taking so long this time. If we hit 1 year of trying, we'll go to a doctor, but for now, anyone have any tips or tricks to aid in conceiving? Anyone go through something similar with an eventual happy and healthy baby?

by on Aug. 20, 2017 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meghs82285
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:26 PM
I had a surprise baby, then I had one that took 2 cycles, followed by a surprise baby followed by 18 months of trying!!! And now I'm pregnant again without trying! Who knows what that was about but those 18 months were hellish!
B3autifulCha0s
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:48 PM
I had 5 pregnancies in a 5yr span. 2 MCs and 3 beautiful girls who are 18 months and 16 months apart. DH and I decided to TTC #4 and the last. It took me a year to get pregnant and I lost it. Then another year of TTC and am currently almost 7wks pregnant.

#1 MC in Jan 2009
#2 dd1 born Apr 2010
#3 dd2 born Aug 2011 (almost lost her because of a subchorionic hemorrhage)
#4 MC Mar 2012
#5 dd3 born Feb 2013
#6 MC in July 2016
#7 currently due in Apr 2018

I had no trouble getting pregnant those first 4yrs. But after my youngest, it seemed I didn't ovulate every month. Could be my cystic ovaries or my thyroid. Not sure.
momofnatalie
by on Aug. 20, 2017 at 11:01 PM

I had my ups and downs.  I got pregnant after two months of trying, had a miscarriage a week later.  Then we couldn't get pregnant for almost a year.  Had a second miscarriage and then after a year of trying went to my OB/Gyn and we went on Clomid.  After three cycles, we decided to go to a fertilty clinic and we ended up doing IVF because of my age.  We got pregnant after my second IVF.  Then after my daughter was born, we tried the naturally way and two months of trying we got pregnant but had another miscarriage.  We got pregnant naturally four months later and had my second healthy baby girl.  

Good luck, its a tough journey but so worth it.

heart_n_soul
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 3:25 AM

Our loss was devastating, but I conceived very quickly after. I do ovulate (I started using OPKs after four months), my cycle is regular, so I'm not sure fertility meds would even really help. And like I said, my age shouldn't really be a factor yet, at this point. 

Thank you. 

Quoting momofnatalie:

I had my ups and downs.  I got pregnant after two months of trying, had a miscarriage a week later.  Then we couldn't get pregnant for almost a year.  Had a second miscarriage and then after a year of trying went to my OB/Gyn and we went on Clomid.  After three cycles, we decided to go to a fertilty clinic and we ended up doing IVF because of my age.  We got pregnant after my second IVF.  Then after my daughter was born, we tried the naturally way and two months of trying we got pregnant but had another miscarriage.  We got pregnant naturally four months later and had my second healthy baby girl.  

Good luck, its a tough journey but so worth it.

heart_n_soul
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 3:28 AM

Quoting meghs82285: I had a surprise baby, then I had one that took 2 cycles, followed by a surprise baby followed by 18 months of trying!!! And now I'm pregnant again without trying! Who knows what that was about but those 18 months were hellish!

Did you do anything different during those 18 months that helped you? Did you use any medications or just keep trying the old fashioned way?

Azure
by Group Admin on Aug. 21, 2017 at 8:05 AM

What have you done so far?

meghs82285
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 8:34 AM
We used opks and tried to time it. My husband didn't think we should do anything else because it was "unnatural" and "if it was meant to happen it would happen" ๐Ÿ™„

Quoting heart_n_soul:

Quoting meghs82285: I had a surprise baby, then I had one that took 2 cycles, followed by a surprise baby followed by 18 months of trying!!! And now I'm pregnant again without trying! Who knows what that was about but those 18 months were hellish!

Did you do anything different during those 18 months that helped you? Did you use any medications or just keep trying the old fashioned way?

heart_n_soul
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 10:40 AM

Yeah, that's about all we've done so far.

Quoting meghs82285: We used opks and tried to time it. My husband didn't think we should do anything else because it was "unnatural" and "if it was meant to happen it would happen" ๐Ÿ™„
Quoting heart_n_soul:

heart_n_soul
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 10:41 AM

Quoting Azure:

What have you done so far?

I've always tracked my cycle, and we've now started to use OPKs, just to verify that I am ovulating, and I am. 

kman88
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 10:51 AM

DD was concieved the first month trying. We are now on 18 months trying for #2 and have already seen the doctor and been told its "highly unlikely" to happen naturally. They have suggested IUI, but DH said no. He said if it happens, it happens. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)