Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Slightly elevated levels

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:00 AM
  • 11 Replies
So my glucose test came back 2 points higher then the max and my iron levels are at 10.3 and they need to be at 12. I'm on iron pills along with my prenatals. Should I be worried if I can't get my iron up but it stays around 10? The pills just kill my stomach and make me feel sick. Has anyone gone into labor with low iron?
by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DKH722
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Having low iron can cause iron deficiency anemia and you should not try to go through labor without trying to combat that. If your blood cannot clot or replenish itself, you can die. I have iron deficiency anemia in every pregnancy, and the amount of blood lost in delivery is always more than the typical woman and it is terrifying. With my 2nd son, i had to have a transfusion. If you think you could correct it through diet alone, you can always talk to a dietician. But you could do a complete lifestyle change and still need the pills. I eat a very iron rich diet and take prenantals with extra iron, and i still got put on an extra supplement by my midwife yesterday.
Rlmori2010
by Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 1:04 PM
I'm just going to change not us taking the pills, I have added more iron to my diet but I don't think it's enough. Hopefully my blood tests will start showing improvement before I go into labor

Quoting DKH722: Having low iron can cause iron deficiency anemia and you should not try to go through labor without trying to combat that. If your blood cannot clot or replenish itself, you can die. I have iron deficiency anemia in every pregnancy, and the amount of blood lost in delivery is always more than the typical woman and it is terrifying. With my 2nd son, i had to have a transfusion. If you think you could correct it through diet alone, you can always talk to a dietician. But you could do a complete lifestyle change and still need the pills. I eat a very iron rich diet and take prenantals with extra iron, and i still got put on an extra supplement by my midwife yesterday.
lovemylife_15
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 2:32 PM
Mine was close to that with my son. I do hope they explained all the things that can cancel out the iron pill if you eat or drink the wrong thing when you take it.
Rlmori2010
by Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 2:36 PM
Yeah they told me to ea and drink citrus stuff when I take it and to wait 2 hours before and after taking it if I eat any kind of dairy.

Quoting lovemylife_15: Mine was close to that with my son. I do hope they explained all the things that can cancel out the iron pill if you eat or drink the wrong thing when you take it.
lovemylife_15
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 2:38 PM
I'm glad they covered that. I wasn't informed until I went back the following month and they questioned if I had been taking my iron supplement or not.

Quoting Rlmori2010: Yeah they told me to ea and drink citrus stuff when I take it and to wait 2 hours before and after taking it if I eat any kind of dairy.

Quoting lovemylife_15: Mine was close to that with my son. I do hope they explained all the things that can cancel out the iron pill if you eat or drink the wrong thing when you take it.
modmommabear
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 8:19 PM
My midwife said if mine dropped below 10, no homebirth. I believe it was 10 when I had the homebirth and everything was perfectry fine. I'm also always anemic so it doesn't worry me at all, I'm use to it.

All that said, you do need to either eat red meat, take the pill, or get the liquid iron. It's not okay to do nothing.
Rlmori2010
by Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 8:21 PM
Yeah I'm taking the iron pills I just hate how they make my stomach hurt. I'm also trying to eat more stuff with iron in it. I just hope my next blood draw my iron shows improvement and I can stop taking the pills

Quoting modmommabear: My midwife said if mine dropped below 10, no homebirth. I believe it was 10 when I had the homebirth and everything was perfectry fine. I'm also always anemic so it doesn't worry me at all, I'm use to it.

All that said, you do need to either eat red meat, take the pill, or get the liquid iron. It's not okay to do nothing.
modmommabear
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 8:27 PM

Mobile Photo

What pills? I have a sensitive stomach and take iron too. Mine don't bother me right now. The prenatal is the ALIVE brand.

Quoting Rlmori2010: Yeah I'm taking the iron pills I just hate how they make my stomach hurt. I'm also trying to eat more stuff with iron in it. I just hope my next blood draw my iron shows improvement and I can stop taking the pills
Quoting modmommabear: My midwife said if mine dropped below 10, no homebirth. I believe it was 10 when I had the homebirth and everything was perfectry fine. I'm also always anemic so it doesn't worry me at all, I'm use to it.

Rlmori2010
by Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:55 PM
My iron pills are what gives me heart burn and make my stomach hurt

Quoting modmommabear:

Mobile Photo

What pills? I have a sensitive stomach and take iron too. Mine don't bother me right now. The prenatal is the ALIVE brand.

Quoting Rlmori2010: Yeah I'm taking the iron pills I just hate how they make my stomach hurt. I'm also trying to eat more stuff with iron in it. I just hope my next blood draw my iron shows improvement and I can stop taking the pills

modmommabear
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 9:57 PM
I forget mines name. It's a little green triangle, I'll have to look later.

Quoting Rlmori2010: My iron pills are what gives me heart burn and make my stomach hurt

Quoting modmommabear:

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)