Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am so frustrated! Sorry, long!

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 9:26 AM
  • 10 Replies
I exclusively pumped for our twins for a couple months after they were born. One had a severe tongue tie that couldn't be clipped till he was a month old. The other was only 4 pounds & her mouth was too small to latch. So I pumped every 2 hours for months, till they could latch on their own. I continued to pump daily to have enough milk for them while I was at work. My pump went everywhere with me for over a year. It was beyond falling apart.

On to this pregnancy, I've been so excited to get a new pump because my old one was an absolute lifesaver & allowed me to give my babies breastmilk through all the challenges we faced. And after the massive amount of stress & exhaustion it caused me, i think i deserve a new one & it will hopefully keep me motivated. Then I found out my insurance only provides one pump per lifetime. No exceptions. So I call WIC because they provide them as well. They don't give them out till baby is at least a month old "to ensure the mom is truly commited to breastfeeding." I explained my previous situation & asked what to do if baby can't latch or I return to work prior to being one month post partum (I went back when my twins were 3.5 weeks old). She said they would recommend feeding formula or hand express milk until baby is a month old, then i could get a pump. Ummm, ok. Thanks for nothing. I need the reassurance of having a pump immediately if needed. Those first days are so important to getting milk supply established. I know that first-hand.

So we decided to just buy one with some savings bond money I have. (This is a big expense we were not planning for). But my husband knows how important breastfeeding is to me, so hes very supportive of finding a way to buy a new one. Amazon has it & I could get a 10% discount since I have a baby registry with them. I go to order it this morning & its no longer included in the registry discount.

I'm so frustrated. Baby is due in 2 weeks.
by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Sep. 21, 2017 at 9:29 AM

I am so sorry - I buy medela double pumps out of pocket.

What kind of pump do you respond too? 

peachyisthelife
by Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 9:31 AM

Ah I'm so sorry!  So frustrating!!  I exclusively pumped with my 2nd child and I plan to do so with this one.  In fact I just ordered my pump a few minutes ago.  This is my first time getting one through insurance, though.  The only one they covered was the pump in style which I kept hearing hurt people's nipples so I paid for the upgrade to the freestyle, which I used last time and loved.  What kind of pump are you wanting to get?  I have two insurances at the moment, temporarily, and with my 2nd insurance I'm going to rent a medela hospital grade.

Are you comfy buying a used pump?

DixonBabies
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 9:37 AM
So sorry! How frustrating! Yeah, pumps can be quite expensive and even more so if the cheaper ones doesn't work for you.
Dani1009
by Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 10:19 AM
The only pump I've ever used was a medela pump in style (insurance issued, so I had no choice). It took me 40 minutes to pump per session and I had blisters, no matter which size flange I tried (I have all the sizes!). So I'm wanting to buy a spectra s1. I've read so many reviews that say it's more comfortable to use. That would be a welcome change!

Quoting kajira:

DKH722
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm really sorry that happened! That does sound frustraiting. I always end up splurging on one big item each pregnancy, and i dont think a pump is a waste..i know they are really expensive, but it is awesome that you are so committed!
kajira
by Emma on Sep. 21, 2017 at 11:48 PM
3 moms liked this

Check your pm - I'm getting an insurance provided Ameda I can't use, brand new. I'd be happy to send it to you - the suction for me, I just don't respond to it, it's not hard enough - but if the pump you used caused blisters, a more gentle pump might work for you? I just can't get anything to come out with the Ameda :( 

Quoting Dani1009: The only pump I've ever used was a medela pump in style (insurance issued, so I had no choice). It took me 40 minutes to pump per session and I had blisters, no matter which size flange I tried (I have all the sizes!). So I'm wanting to buy a spectra s1. I've read so many reviews that say it's more comfortable to use. That would be a welcome change!
Quoting kajira:

Mom.2.Many
by New Member on Sep. 22, 2017 at 12:28 AM
I have the spectra I sterilized but never used I would sell for cheap. Pm me if you'd like 😊

Quoting Dani1009: The only pump I've ever used was a medela pump in style (insurance issued, so I had no choice). It took me 40 minutes to pump per session and I had blisters, no matter which size flange I tried (I have all the sizes!). So I'm wanting to buy a spectra s1. I've read so many reviews that say it's more comfortable to use. That would be a welcome change!

Quoting kajira:

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2017 at 11:29 AM

Wow that is frustrating! Who waits and entire month and how does that guarantee anything?? I'd be lost without my pump, I had to use it right away with my 2nd and the twins to suppliment with my own milk and then to build a stash and now at work. I never claimed mine from insurance because I knew I had one still but I can and maybe have them ship it to you? IDK how that all works but willing to try if you don't get Emmas.

On a side note, just a week?? How are you feeling?

Dani1009
by Member on Sep. 28, 2017 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I ended up just ordering the spectra pump from Amazon, it came this week and today I got all the parts sanitized & ready to go. I'm taking it with me to the hospital in case I need it (I really hope not but I know to be prepared!) I hated spending the money on it, knowing im not getting paid while im off work after baby is born. But i just cant imagine not having a reliable pump.

I'll find out tomorrow when the induction will be. It could be as early as Monday! Ahhhhhh! I just can't believe it! We've been through a lot to get this far & I'm just a ball of nerves! I'm finishing up some cleaning & a few small projects, then i can take a deep breath & feel ready.

How are your little cuties doing? Did you find out if they are identical or fraternal? They sure do look alike!

Quoting Careeka22:

Wow that is frustrating! Who waits and entire month and how does that guarantee anything?? I'd be lost without my pump, I had to use it right away with my 2nd and the twins to suppliment with my own milk and then to build a stash and now at work. I never claimed mine from insurance because I knew I had one still but I can and maybe have them ship it to you? IDK how that all works but willing to try if you don't get Emmas.

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2017 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Glad you got one, I completely understand. My hospital gave me a pump to use so I'd just leave it at home and use theirs if needed, hopefully not!

Omg so close!!! I can't wait to see if it's a boy or girl. Still going with girl 🙂 I get it, I had so many ups and downs with the twins that making it to 37 weeks felt like a lifetime and a miracle lol.

They are great! They are 4 months now and I'm off work tomorrow to take them to their appt. They are so sweet and easy, even easier than their older sisters were! I haven't got the test done yet but I'm going to ask for it for my bday next month. DH says it's unnecessary because well he mixes them up all the time but I want it!

The one is teal is Brady and the blue is JJ.

Quoting Dani1009: I ended up just ordering the spectra pump from Amazon, it came this week and today I got all the parts sanitized & ready to go. I'm taking it with me to the hospital in case I need it (I really hope not but I know to be prepared!) I hated spending the money on it, knowing im not getting paid while im off work after baby is born. But i just cant imagine not having a reliable pump.

I'll find out tomorrow when the induction will be. It could be as early as Monday! Ahhhhhh! I just can't believe it! We've been through a lot to get this far & I'm just a ball of nerves! I'm finishing up some cleaning & a few small projects, then i can take a deep breath & feel ready.

How are your little cuties doing? Did you find out if they are identical or fraternal? They sure do look alike!

Quoting Careeka22:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)