Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Results

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 1:21 PM
  • 27 Replies

My doctor called this morning. We're having a girl. There is a 1 in 8 chance that she has Down syndrome. Blood work came back high risk for it. NT scan had a thickness of 13.8mm, they did not see a nasal bone, and she has ductus venosus a-wave reverse flow, all of which are markers for DS. There is also only a 2 vessl cord and marginal cord insertion, though those apparently don't relate to DS. My doctor had already scheduled an appointment for me with the high risk doctor regarding the results, and their genetic counselor, I go on tuesday. It's too late for a CVS, I'm 14w1d, so it'll be an amnio, and they'll discuss that with me then. I asked my doctor what she thought, if she thought there was any chance that these were false positives, and she said in her experience, with results like this, I should be prepared for the amino to come back positive.

I called my mom and told her, and she came and got the kids, so it's just me alone right now, so I can tell my husband when he comes home. I don't even know what to think right now. I don't know if I'm numb and in shock, or if part of me already kind of knew and that's why I've been freaking out about the results. This whole pregnancy has been so strange, and when she was telling me, it just didn't feel wrong. I don't know. I don't plan to tell anyone else until we do get the amnio results back, and I'm not telling my husband over the phone, so for now, this is it.

by on Sep. 21, 2017 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stetsons-mommy
by Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 2:05 PM
I'm so sorry hun :( hugs. I will be praying for you. Please let me know if you need to talk. I am a good listener.
heart_n_soul
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 2:10 PM
Thanks.

At this point I don't even know what to talk about. I know what our options are, the next step is telling my husband and then going to the doctor. I'm trying not to think past that at the moment, once we know absolutely what is going on, then we can figure out what to do. One step at a time. And thank you.

Quoting Stetsons-mommy: I'm so sorry hun :( hugs. I will be praying for you. Please let me know if you need to talk. I am a good listener.
hurst0three
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 2:30 PM
I'm so sorry hun! Big hugs and positive thoughts for your family ♡
heart_n_soul
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 2:53 PM

Quoting hurst0three: I'm so sorry hun! Big hugs and positive thoughts for your family ♡

Thanks. I'm trying to hope she'll be ok, but it just seems so unlikely with these results.

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 5:11 PM
I'm so sorry. There's still a chance she'll be okay. With my third baby, there was a chance she had Trisomy 18 due to a cyst on her brain they saw in an ultrasound, but she is now a happy, healthy two year old. I hope things work out well for you.
Alismommy
by Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 7:54 PM
I'm so sorry you are going through this. My last baby had trisomy 18 and we found out through the blood test and then amnio confirmed it. I'm here if you need someone to talk to or have questions
lovemylife_15
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 9:40 PM
I'm so sorry hun. Your in my prayer's.
meghs82285
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 9:48 PM
Hugs momma
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2017 at 10:00 PM
I'm so sorry. It's so hard getting bad news like that. Hugs!
heart_n_soul
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2017 at 3:21 AM
That's what I'm hoping and praying for. I just want to get the next appointment over with, and maybe they'll have good news for us. It's just, there are so many markers, and they're pretty significant. Still, it's not definitive.

Quoting mrsniebo: I'm so sorry. There's still a chance she'll be okay. With my third baby, there was a chance she had Trisomy 18 due to a cyst on her brain they saw in an ultrasound, but she is now a happy, healthy two year old. I hope things work out well for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)