Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thyroid antibodies - worried

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2017 at 9:58 PM
  • 14 Replies
Had to put a message in to my OB. I already have hypothyroidism and am on medicine for it. Before I got pregnant the antibodies were already 99H in the red zone...now at 11 weeks 2 days pregnant I saw my results for my test at my 9+6 week appointment and the antibodies are now at 243H in red.

Ive got so much crap going on with my health I'm worried things will get worse.
I see my new high risk doc the 5th of Oct. So that's good thank god and hopefully they'll keep an eye on everything for me. But for now I'm worried.

Does anyone else have a thyroid issue with antibodies rising? Whats normal and what's not?...if you know.
by on Sep. 24, 2017 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sciencelady
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos back in February (when we were TTC). I was positive for antibodies then. My antibody levels have not been tested since at all, and I'm currently 11w4d pregnant. I've had my TSH tested twice and my T4 once since finding out I was pregnant (4 weeks and 9 weeks). I didn't think it was normal to keep testing antibodies. 

BMead1695
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 10:20 PM
My OB wanred to check it to make sure its functioning properly because my endo upped my dose of levo the minure he saw there were antibodies. I worry :/

What a hashimotos?

Quoting sciencelady:

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos back in February (when we were TTC). I was positive for antibodies then. My antibody levels have not been tested since at all, and I'm currently 11w4d pregnant. I've had my TSH tested twice and my T4 once since finding out I was pregnant (4 weeks and 9 weeks). I didn't think it was normal to keep testing antibodies. 

sciencelady
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 10:27 PM

Hashimoto's is when thyroid antibodies start attacking your thyroid. It can cause hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism (I have hypo). 

The level of antibodies doesn't really measure how your thyroid itself is functioning. Measure of thyroid hormones does (TSH, T3, T4, etc). Did they measure your TSH?

It's normal to need higher doses of levo during pregnancy. Pregnancy increases your thyroid demands. My endo said that they usually increase the dose automatically. Mine was not increased because my TSH was 0.1 when I was 4 weeks pregnant (borderline low). It was 0.9 at 9 weeks, so I imagine I'm going to need a higher dose at some point. 

Quoting BMead1695: My OB wanred to check it to make sure its functioning properly because my endo upped my dose of levo the minure he saw there were antibodies. I worry :/ What a hashimotos?
Quoting sciencelady:

BMead1695
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 10:30 PM
From what I know my levels are in the normal ranges but leaning towards the high side. My antibodies are what are in the red. Mine hasnt upped my dose again yet. I only take 50mg so far.

Quoting sciencelady:

Hashimoto's is when thyroid antibodies start attacking your thyroid. It can cause hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism (I have hypo). 

The level of antibodies doesn't really measure how your thyroid itself is functioning. Measure of thyroid hormones does (TSH, T3, T4, etc). Did they measure your TSH?

It's normal to need higher doses of levo during pregnancy. Pregnancy increases your thyroid demands. My endo said that they usually increase the dose automatically. Mine was not increased because my TSH was 0.1 when I was 4 weeks pregnant (borderline low). It was 0.9 at 9 weeks, so I imagine I'm going to need a higher dose at some point. 

Quoting BMead1695: My OB wanred to check it to make sure its functioning properly because my endo upped my dose of levo the minure he saw there were antibodies. I worry :/

What a hashimotos?

Quoting sciencelady:

sciencelady
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Yea, you're positive for antibodies. They'll probably be high your whole life. The levo doesn't fix that.

Quoting BMead1695: From what I know my levels are in the normal ranges but leaning towards the high side. My antibodies are what are in the red. Mine hasnt upped my dose again yet. I only take 50mg so far.

Quoting sciencelady:

Quoting BMead1695: My OB wanred to check it to make sure its functioning properly because my endo upped my dose of levo the minure he saw there were antibodies. I worry :/

What a hashimotos?

Quoting sciencelady:

BMead1695
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Just helps it I'm assuming?

Between this and my cholesterol I feel like I'm going to go crazy. Especialkt where I can't take my cholesterol meds while pregnant.

Quoting sciencelady: Yea, you're positive for antibodies. They'll probably be high your whole life. The levo doesn't fix that.

Quoting BMead1695: From what I know my levels are in the normal ranges but leaning towards the high side. My antibodies are what are in the red. Mine hasnt upped my dose again yet. I only take 50mg so far.

Quoting sciencelady:

What a hashimotos?

Quoting sciencelady:

sciencelady
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
No. The antibodies cause hypothyroidism. The levo just fixes that. It does nothing to the antibodies. Your endo didn't explain all this to you? What was your TSH? That's the more important number.

And babies need cholesterol to develop properly. You def don't want to take cholesterol medication while pregnant.

Quoting BMead1695: Just helps it I'm assuming?

Between this and my cholesterol I feel like I'm going to go crazy. Especialkt where I can't take my cholesterol meds while pregnant.

Quoting sciencelady: Yea, you're positive for antibodies. They'll probably be high your whole life. The levo doesn't fix that.

Quoting sciencelady:

What a hashimotos?

Quoting sciencelady:

BMead1695
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 10:46 PM
I honestly have no idea what it was at the time I got the increased dosage back in June. And no the only thing explained to me was why I have the dark lines around my neck.

I'm hoping my high risk doctor can answer these questions and help me. Especially since my endow signed me off and over to my ob and primary for all of my issues until after baby.

Quoting sciencelady: No. The antibodies cause hypothyroidism. The levo just fixes that. It does nothing to the antibodies. Your endo didn't explain all this to you? What was your TSH? That's the more important number.

And babies need cholesterol to develop properly. You def don't want to take cholesterol medication while pregnant.

Quoting sciencelady:

What a hashimotos?

Quoting sciencelady:

sciencelady
by Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Yikes. You need a new endo!

What's your tsh now?

Quoting BMead1695: I honestly have no idea what it was at the time I got the increased dosage back in June. And no the only thing explained to me was why I have the dark lines around my neck.

I'm hoping my high risk doctor can answer these questions and help me. Especially since my endow signed me off and over to my ob and primary for all of my issues until after baby.

Quoting sciencelady: No. The antibodies cause hypothyroidism. The levo just fixes that. It does nothing to the antibodies. Your endo didn't explain all this to you? What was your TSH? That's the more important number.

Quoting sciencelady:

What a hashimotos?

Quoting sciencelady:

B3autifulCha0s
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2017 at 10:57 PM
I too have hashimotos. It's an autoimmune disorder. It won't go away. I bounce between hypo and hyper thyroidism. Currently my levels are in the normal range but I am taking 175mgs of levothyroxin. I've had it since 2008 and through all my pregnancies. It's also contributed to my miscarriages they believe.

As long as you're being monitored regularly by your OB and an endocrinologist (you really should find a new one if he won't see you when you're pregnant) would be good, you should be ok. They'd let you know otherwise.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)