Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding while out and about

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:25 PM
  • 27 Replies
My son is one month old today!! We've been ebf, it's been going well so far!
My question is, when we go out I don't mind breastfeeding in public but I do try to be a little discreet. Is this something that gets easier? I have tried the double shirt method, I hate nursing covers. I feel like I'm fumbling once my baby unlatches to get my bra back up and hooked and cover myself. And right now my baby latches and unlatches a lot because I think I have a heavy let down and over supply right now.
I've never noticed anyone else while out in public struggling how I do. I just don't want to be flashing it everywhere, you know? Any suggestions? Or is practice the only thing I need?
by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luke8212013
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 4:26 PM
Oh, I meant to say also- I've been wearing him quite a bit and have tried to feed him while wearing him at home and that was a big fail..I guess I need to work on that too.
mommyof7921
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:03 PM

My only help was the nursing covers and I would just go without a bra. Lol

thats nice that you wear you baby.

i have always wanted to wear my kiddos but I never suffer from body pain but I found myself 8 years ago wearing my baby for three days and my back started to ache:( maybe it was the type of carrier I had?  Does it give you back pain?

mommyof171274
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 5:42 PM
Following because I would like to know too. I'm always worried to nurse out in public because my son would always unlatch too and I was always afraid my boob would show. I'm not comfortable. I couldn't wear him and nurse either it was hard! I don't know how some women can.
Oh also did you end up buying the breast pad milk collecter things? I don't remember what they are called?
lovemylife_15
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I had the same issue,heavy let downs,hated nursing covers. I ultimately stopped trying to nurse in public. I'd feed baby before we left home and fed him as soon as we got home
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I always used the two shirt method,if they popped off oh well. It does get easier because you get more confident and comfortable.
Rlmori2010
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 6:17 PM
I either wear my baby and feed or I have a shirt and a spaghetti strap on that way the spaghetti strap can get pulled under my boob and the baby can eat. I do cover sometimes with a small thin blanket or burp bib.
scoopneck99
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The easiest thing I found was wearing a tank top under and a shirt that is easy to lift up. I didn't use a cover and if it was a busy place I would just make sure the side baby was nursing on was the side my dh was on so there wasn't any side boob. Lol. I never got any weird looks, I even nursed while walking around the fair and you couldn't even tell...

Stetsons-mommy
by Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
It gets easier. I didn't wear a bra for like a year and half. I would wear the tank tops with the bra built in and just pip a boob out. Made it less to double around with! It gets alot easier!
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
If I'm not going to be gone long, I would nurse before leaving the house. If I anticipate nursing in public, I do the two shirts method. Things are fine while nursing, it's always the latching and unlatching that gets me nervous. I just try to be as quick and discreet as possible. While my son is nursing, I keep one hand on my shirt so I can quickly cover up if he unlatches suddenly.
tina08mommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:47 PM
I always wore a naursing cover with my youngest when I nursed him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)