Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

black line?

Posted by on May. 15, 2007 at 5:36 PM
  • 7 Replies
how long did it take everone to get the black line from their pelvic area to their belly button?  And does anyone know why it does that?  I'm a possible three weeks and i am starting to get it already.
by on May. 15, 2007 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sexylilmamaof3
by on May. 15, 2007 at 7:04 PM
I'm not sure how long it takes to get it but I heard its because your body is low on folic acid but i'm not totally sure but i have a very light one its kinda hard to see and i'm 38 weeks
DillonsMommy
by on May. 15, 2007 at 7:53 PM
Mine didn't appear until several months into my pregnancy, but you get it because your body increases the amount of melanin (I think that is the term), or the stuff that causes pigmentation of you skin, that it produces. That is why your nipples also get darker.
jlminer82
by on May. 15, 2007 at 7:54 PM
I am 20 weeks and I havn't noticed that line! I've heard of it! I been taking prenatals and if it's lack of folic acid that's prolly why I don't see it.
Now Im gonna go look again! hahaha
telecomgirl
by on May. 15, 2007 at 7:57 PM
It's called the linea negra, and it's NORMAL to have it - it doesn't mean you're sick or lacking anything at all. I took folic acid supplements with my son, and I had one. It went away after I gave birth.

Most women get it in their 2nd trimester, some don't get it at all, and some get it immediately.

Pregnancy hormones cause your body to produce more melanin, which temporarily darkens the skin and that area. The line is always there, but only tends to come out in pregnancy.

Your doctor can tell you more about it, or "google" it! Don't worry though - it's totally normal! :)
newmom03
by on May. 15, 2007 at 8:20 PM
i am 28 weeks and i still dont have the line. im glad i dont. i would be very self concious with it. some people get it and some dont. i have no clue wut its for tho
helpless_kitten
by on May. 15, 2007 at 10:38 PM

I got mine in the begining of my second trimester and since i never had a urine test come out positive that's how i got people to believe i'm pregnant, but everyone has one it's just white that you can't see it , some get it when pregnant some don't but don't worry it will go away about two weeks after you give birth.
KeanynSymon
by on May. 15, 2007 at 10:49 PM

Quoting telecomgirl:

It's called the linea negra, and it's NORMAL to have it - it doesn't mean you're sick or lacking anything at all. I took folic acid supplements with my son, and I had one. It went away after I gave birth.

Most women get it in their 2nd trimester, some don't get it at all, and some get it immediately.

Pregnancy hormones cause your body to produce more melanin, which temporarily darkens the skin and that area. The line is always there, but only tends to come out in pregnancy.

Your doctor can tell you more about it, or "google" it! Don't worry though - it's totally normal! :)
It depends on your skin coloring too.  I am pregnant with my third and have never gotten one.  So it's very possible that you already see it... uncommon but possible!! No worries :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured