Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Off topic.. About my 10 yr old

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2017 at 12:57 PM
  • 9 Replies
My daughter's school nurse just called. Said my daughter came to her office complaining of tummy pains 😞 said she had no fever or nothing. But did look tired in the eyes. Said she seems to be maturing faster that she could may be trying to start her period.
I have talked to my daughter about it before. Should i maybe put pads in her backpack incase she needs them ? I don't want her to be embarrased if she does start at school.
I started young to at church!! I was so embarrassed.
Maybe a few opinions please ?
by on Oct. 12, 2017 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 12, 2017 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Make a "woman kit" for her, pads, and clean panties. Tell her how to use them and what it feels like (like a lot of cramping and pain, then wet between the legs, or a gush.) type of a deal. Let her know to be watching out for that so she doesn't bleed through her clothes.

Tell her she's not dying and pack a tylonel for the cramps.

Luke8212013
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2017 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I would for sure. I would talk to her more about it like pp said. I started mine when I was 9, I had no clue why was going on and I almost passed out when I went to the bathroom and saw all the blood, lol
Sophie1106
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2017 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes definitely. My dd is also 10. She has pads in her backpack and we've talked about what to do if she starts at school. I was 11 when I started mine and my mom hadn't talked to me about it. I started at school and I had no idea what to do.
HollyLM26
by Member on Oct. 12, 2017 at 1:43 PM
Thank you all very much !
I will make her a bag with some things.
What kinda pads should i get her. The ticker ones ?
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 12, 2017 at 2:04 PM

I would get ones with wings, they work better with panties and don't slide around or leak as much.

The other option, is get her depends, the ones like panties, that 100% don't leak. I use them after childbirth and honestly, I may offer those to my daughter when she starts her period, especially if she's really active. As long as her clothes aren't skin tight, no one will notice if she's wearing the active-panty Depends for leaks/bleeding.

Those are nice because they are 100% disposable and less likely to leak on clothes.

Quoting HollyLM26: Thank you all very much ! I will make her a bag with some things. What kinda pads should i get her. The ticker ones ?

DixonBabies
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM
This exactly. Many hugs!

Quoting kajira:

Make a "woman kit" for her, pads, and clean panties. Tell her how to use them and what it feels like (like a lot of cramping and pain, then wet between the legs, or a gush.) type of a deal. Let her know to be watching out for that so she doesn't bleed through her clothes.

Tell her she's not dying and pack a tylonel for the cramps.

Sparklingsparks
by Member on Oct. 12, 2017 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to her again, make sure she fully understands what it is and what might/will happen, explain clearly how to use pads, and make sure she has some with her at school and really at all times. A spare change of underwear in her backpack might not be a bad idea either. 

Azure
by Group Admin on Oct. 13, 2017 at 10:31 AM

I like kajira's idea of a woman kit.

My daughter tracks her temps so we'll know when her period is coming. i want her to be prepared and ready for it.

sunnyface
by on Oct. 14, 2017 at 1:51 PM

I believe, as parents, we need to prepare our children for life as they grow and become adults. You have done just that by explaining what will happen when her cycle starts...high five to you! It is difficult to watch our children grow up and face life. I think it is a great idea to have a few supplies packed just in case. Does she have a small zippered bag that she can hide in her backpack? Maybe sharing some of your stories will help her feel comfortable and not so alone when the moment does arrive. Best of luck to you both!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)