Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on Hospital tour -- Am I missing anything?

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM
  • 13 Replies

So, our hospital tour went well, I can live with most of the stuff they do, and their flexibility. The things I have an issue with, is their high circ rate. I will need to be on top of them to make sure they don't retract foreskin, because they have lika 90% circ rate, and will need to be on top of that to remind nurses not to touch his penis basically.

They room in - but if baby needs observed, they won't do it in room, baby will go to a special nursery, where parents aren't allowed. When I asked what if baby is breastfeeding, how do parents get access to their child, they didn't have an answer on how baby would be brought back for feedings if they needed closer observation. I need to talk to my OB and nursing staff about this. If he needs observed for more then 30-45 minutes, I'd want him admitted to a nicu or some place where I have access to my child, so I can handle his medical care and feed him as long as he can eat.

While they are pro breastfeeding, if they don't bring my baby back to me for nursing, then how will he eat? What will he eat? Are they going to give him formula with out my consent instead of bringing him back to me, or letting me go to him?

My doula said they could feed him via a medicine dropper, but how would they have access to my milk if they don't warn me I can't nurse him, or bring me a pump in time to not miss any feeding(s)

I'm just slightly concerned. When I had my last baby, we got checked out at the hospital though she wasn't born inside hospital grounds because we didn't make it there in time, and they would do closer observation if needed, in the room, and when I threw a fit about them taking her out of my sight, they allowed me to go to their nursery for the exams, hearing tests, etc. (same with my hospital birth in 2004.)

I'm not sure if this hospital would budge on my desires not to be separated from my baby, as the tour guide basically said if baby was taken, parents had no options. so, I need to clarify with my OB what my options are, since I'm not sure how many parents actually think about this stuff, or just "go along" with hospital policy.

Other than that, I got the impression since I Travel so far, they'll get me a room earlier than most people with out formally forcing me into monitoring/heplocks, so I can labor on hospital grounds where/how I want.

They will allow all my children once I'm out of triage, will allow pictures - although video cameras are a no go - however, if someone snaps 30 second video of a cell phone video of baby coming out, I know my OB is already fine with that, so I doubt they'll say anything. Better to ask forgiveness, then permission LOL

They'll allow laboring in water, and charge nurse made sure to talk to me for a few minutes about how the admitting process would work with someone traveling so far, and my labor history. She'd like me to write down detailed accounts of how previous labors went, because nurses need to adapt to my body and not standard hospital protocols for laboring especially with my travel time and unpredictable labor patterns.

So, short of the no-parent/nursery thing, and the intact factor, most of the other stuff, I can live with.

I do need to bring my own yoga ball, and if I do end up with IVs, and full on monitoring, while I Can't leave the L and D hallways, they will allow me to walk my loops in the floor, instead of out in the regular hospital hallways.

I can live with that as long as I'm not trapped to a room. They did say that some OB's don't allow mothers to leave the bed, or have options, so need to make sure your OB signs off on your birth plan you bring so nurses know to follow it, despite what the on-call physician says, type of a deal.

As a vbac, they'll call my doctor, as she handles all her vbac patients herself to avoid complications from other doctors.

List of things I need to go over with my husband/doula and OB.... :

Yoga Ball for labor. Light snacks for mom during labor. I travel so far, I cannot justify not having access to anything from the moment I step foot in the hospital. I need some flexibility on this if we are going to labor around the hospital setting.

Discussing heplock permissions with OB to sign off on.

Discussing no baby leaving room with OB

Discussing extra family/support people and signed off to ensure we have enough hands around for pictures/video + helping with younger kids if needed.

Labor plan to avoid being trapped in a room since we drive so far.

No sugar water or formula, nursery time. If baby needs observation, it needs to be done in-room, or in the nicu where parents are allowed to have access to baby. I'm not comfortable with not having access to my baby, we need to find a compromise on this.

Discussing labor plan with ob for getting a room since we travel so far, but not being on monitors/waiting for OB to check me out, kind of a deal.

Need to have a detailed labor thing written down to go over with nurses about history to make sure they know what labor is like - so they don't accidentally send me home.

Ensuring if baby needs supervision after birth, we only breastfeed, and have access immediately to pump(s) for colostrum.

Getting doctor to sign off quick admittance if needed, to avoid long triage stay with a large family so we don't disturb other people in the lobby.

Labor plan for checking in, so hubby can arrange hotel stay, drop oldest off, and watch younger 3 until we are settled in a room.

We can take turns watching/playing with kids to keep them busy, and who walks with me - but we definitely should talk about this. (I have 2 other people I can call for help with child care, or labor support in an emergency/weird situation, but I need to discuss the picture/video thing with everyone, I am kind of sad, Z's birth didn't have any labor pictures and only had like a couple pictures immediately after birth, I would like as many pictures of this birth, and whatever videos we can sneak on cell phones of him being born.)

I don't think I need the family suite, hubby most likely will just go home after baby if everything is stable, to take care of animals and house to get ready to bring baby home. He'll pick me up when they discharge me.
Discuss 24 hour discharge with OB and get her to possibly sign off on it if baby and I are stable early. I don't mind following up with local OB down here, if needed a few days after birth to check on us, vs. spending extra time in the hospital.

Need to make sure history of labors is gone over, so we can avoid unneeded cervical exam and go off other signs for labor progression and transition and only check before we need to push (if there's even time once we hit that stage.)

No-Circ sign, and breastfeeding only sign made for the PP door.

ENT - available on short notice before going home if baby needs a tongue/lip tie clipped.

by on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 17, 2017 at 1:50 PM

In our situation, the charge nurse requested I write down my history of labor and signs, and transition warning signs so the nurses can try to adapt to my individual body. I travel 3 hours and they dont' want to accidentally send me home because they are basing it off hospital policies, when my body doesn't have typical symptoms. They do see enough women with atypical symptoms for labor/pushing that they need to know who those women are, when they come in. An easy to read list in my file will make it easier for shift change - and the charge nurse said to write a 1 page list down for easy reference of the three stages and my behavior to make assessing me easier since i'm a vbac and won't be doing cervical checks until right before I push.

Azure
by Group Admin on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely some cause for concern there but it sounds like you're getting it handled. And it sounds like you've got everything covered... maybe on if you're ok with cutting the cord right away if baby is healthy? I don't remember seeing that. Doesn't mean it's not there. I'm exhausted. I really hope this birth goes the way you want it to.

kajira
by Emma on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

This hospital automatically practices golden hour skin to skin after birth and delayed cord clamping. I'm changing my birth plan to remove everything that's normal protocol at this hospital, since my OB will know my wishes and it pretty much is in line with their standard golden hour rules now.

IF you want baby to have a bath, it has to be requested before birth, otherwise, they do immediate skin to skin.

I'm a natural birthing momma, so as long as I go in and tell nurses that, they'll follow the golden hour protocol, which is great. No fighting on the delayed cord clamping, skin to skin, no bath, etc.

It's  more the "after labor" things that seem like they might be an issue.

Quoting Azure:

Definitely some cause for concern there but it sounds like you're getting it handled. And it sounds like you've got everything covered... maybe on if you're ok with cutting the cord right away if baby is healthy? I don't remember seeing that. Doesn't mean it's not there. I'm exhausted. I really hope this birth goes the way you want it to.

newmelly2009
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 11:03 PM
Why would they mess with his penis? I never heard of that! Only for circumcision and that's it! I hope everything goes well for you just insist baby does t leave your sight, if they can help it they won't take him. I remember my hospital being like that and the last time they completely changed their policy, baby NEVER leaves room not even for a bath or if you beg them lol. They got rid of their nursery
newmelly2009
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 11:03 PM
Why would they mess with his penis? I never heard of that! Only for circumcision and that's it! I hope everything goes well for you just insist baby does t leave your sight, if they can help it they won't take him. I remember my hospital being like that and the last time they completely changed their policy, baby NEVER leaves room not even for a bath or if you beg them lol. They got rid of their nursery
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:49 AM

Some nurses and people don't know not to retract intact penis's in babies, especially in hospitals with high circ-rates.

Quoting newmelly2009: Why would they mess with his penis? I never heard of that! Only for circumcision and that's it! I hope everything goes well for you just insist baby does t leave your sight, if they can help it they won't take him. I remember my hospital being like that and the last time they completely changed their policy, baby NEVER leaves room not even for a bath or if you beg them lol. They got rid of their nursery

boymommyphx
by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:10 PM
If you want the baby in room 24 7 tell them even with testing observation etc they can bring everything in the room to do so. My husband went with our son IF he needed to and he wasn't out of our sight or my mom and dad. Feed right after testing or observation. If they can't or won't accommodate to you or do what you wish either find a new hospital that will or a family birthing center
. 💜

Quoting kajira:

So, our hospital tour went well, I can live with most of the stuff they do, and their flexibility. The things I have an issue with, is their high circ rate. I will need to be on top of them to make sure they don't retract foreskin, because they have lika 90% circ rate, and will need to be on top of that to remind nurses not to touch his penis basically.

They room in - but if baby needs observed, they won't do it in room, baby will go to a special nursery, where parents aren't allowed. When I asked what if baby is breastfeeding, how do parents get access to their child, they didn't have an answer on how baby would be brought back for feedings if they needed closer observation. I need to talk to my OB and nursing staff about this. If he needs observed for more then 30-45 minutes, I'd want him admitted to a nicu or some place where I have access to my child, so I can handle his medical care and feed him as long as he can eat.

While they are pro breastfeeding, if they don't bring my baby back to me for nursing, then how will he eat? What will he eat? Are they going to give him formula with out my consent instead of bringing him back to me, or letting me go to him?

My doula said they could feed him via a medicine dropper, but how would they have access to my milk if they don't warn me I can't nurse him, or bring me a pump in time to not miss any feeding(s)

I'm just slightly concerned. When I had my last baby, we got checked out at the hospital though she wasn't born inside hospital grounds because we didn't make it there in time, and they would do closer observation if needed, in the room, and when I threw a fit about them taking her out of my sight, they allowed me to go to their nursery for the exams, hearing tests, etc. (same with my hospital birth in 2004.)

I'm not sure if this hospital would budge on my desires not to be separated from my baby, as the tour guide basically said if baby was taken, parents had no options. so, I need to clarify with my OB what my options are, since I'm not sure how many parents actually think about this stuff, or just "go along" with hospital policy.

Other than that, I got the impression since I Travel so far, they'll get me a room earlier than most people with out formally forcing me into monitoring/heplocks, so I can labor on hospital grounds where/how I want.

They will allow all my children once I'm out of triage, will allow pictures - although video cameras are a no go - however, if someone snaps 30 second video of a cell phone video of baby coming out, I know my OB is already fine with that, so I doubt they'll say anything. Better to ask forgiveness, then permission LOL

They'll allow laboring in water, and charge nurse made sure to talk to me for a few minutes about how the admitting process would work with someone traveling so far, and my labor history. She'd like me to write down detailed accounts of how previous labors went, because nurses need to adapt to my body and not standard hospital protocols for laboring especially with my travel time and unpredictable labor patterns.

So, short of the no-parent/nursery thing, and the intact factor, most of the other stuff, I can live with.

I do need to bring my own yoga ball, and if I do end up with IVs, and full on monitoring, while I Can't leave the L and D hallways, they will allow me to walk my loops in the floor, instead of out in the regular hospital hallways.

I can live with that as long as I'm not trapped to a room. They did say that some OB's don't allow mothers to leave the bed, or have options, so need to make sure your OB signs off on your birth plan you bring so nurses know to follow it, despite what the on-call physician says, type of a deal.

As a vbac, they'll call my doctor, as she handles all her vbac patients herself to avoid complications from other doctors.

Yoga Ball for labor. Light snacks for mom during labor. I travel so far, I cannot justify not having access to anything from the moment I step foot in the hospital. I need some flexibility on this if we are going to labor around the hospital setting.

Discussing extra family/support people and signed off to ensure we have enough hands around for pictures/video + helping with younger kids if needed.

No sugar water or formula, nursery time. If baby needs observation, it needs to be done in-room, or in the nicu where parents are allowed to have access to baby. I'm not comfortable with not having access to my baby, we need to find a compromise on this.

Discussing labor plan with ob for getting a room since we travel so far, but not being on monitors/waiting for OB to check me out, kind of a deal.

Need to have a detailed labor thing written down to go over with nurses about history to make sure they know what labor is like - so they don't accidentally send me home.

Ensuring if baby needs supervision after birth, we only breastfeed, and have access immediately to pump(s) for colostrum.

Getting doctor to sign off quick admittance if needed, to avoid long triage stay with a large family so we don't disturb other people in the lobby.

Labor plan for checking in, so hubby can arrange hotel stay, drop oldest off, and watch younger 3 until we are settled in a room.

We can take turns watching/playing with kids to keep them busy, and who walks with me - but we definitely should talk about this. (I have 2 other people I can call for help with child care, or labor support in an emergency/weird situation, but I need to discuss the picture/video thing with everyone, I am kind of sad, Z's birth didn't have any labor pictures and only had like a couple pictures immediately after birth, I would like as many pictures of this birth, and whatever videos we can sneak on cell phones of him being born.)

I don't think I need the family suite, hubby most likely will just go home after baby if everything is stable, to take care of animals and house to get ready to bring baby home. He'll pick me up when they discharge me.
Discuss 24 hour discharge with OB and get her to possibly sign off on it if baby and I are stable early. I don't mind following up with local OB down here, if needed a few days after birth to check on us, vs. spending extra time in the hospital.

Need to make sure history of labors is gone over, so we can avoid unneeded cervical exam and go off other signs for labor progression and transition and only check before we need to push (if there's even time once we hit that stage.)

ENT - available on short notice before going home if baby needs a tongue/lip tie clipped.

boymommyphx
by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:12 PM
Also even if they don't allow a parent in there has to or should be some kind of viewing room or window. Also tell them you have a good lawyer if you need one

Quoting kajira:

boymommyphx
by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:16 PM
Also just pump if the baby HAS to be away from you. That's all my advice. Usually most hospitals do as wished but they are a business and have rules and guidelines. We did circumcision I want to say 1 or 2 months at his pediatrician office.in the end all that matters is a healthy baby not your demands that can be thrown out the window in case of an emergency

Quoting boymommyphx: Also even if they don't allow a parent in there has to or should be some kind of viewing room or window. Also tell them you have a good lawyer if you need one

Quoting kajira:

kajira
by Emma on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:22 PM

I don't believe in the "the only thing that matters is a healthy baby"

Protocols can sometimes harm babies - it's how my baby in the nicu was killed. They followed protocol when they shouldn't, and it caused heart failure.

So - I don't blindly trust, or follow protocols, period. ;) and yes, I know my parental rights, and I know how to call a lawyer, if needed. I was jsut writing out a list of my concerns, so I could properly communicate this with my husband, family and friends support system, and make sure to verify with my OB what their protocols in regards to this, actually *are* since the tour guide didn't have an answer.

That's all ;)

Quoting boymommyphx: Also just pump if the baby HAS to be away from you. That's all my advice. Usually most hospitals do as wished but they are a business and have rules and guidelines. We did circumcision I want to say 1 or 2 months at his pediatrician office.in the end all that matters is a healthy baby not your demands that can be thrown out the window in case of an emergency
Quoting boymommyphx: Also even if they don't allow a parent in there has to or should be some kind of viewing room or window. Also tell them you have a good lawyer if you need one
Quoting kajira:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)