Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Progesterone 200mg!?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2018 at 8:36 AM
  • 13 Replies
So my ins has finally been worked out. I go to the pharmacy to pick up the meds my Dr prescribed a week ago for my low progesterone. They said most people take it just fine with no problems other then it making them tired. Take 1 before bed. Ok no big deal. Well. Me being me, I had to research the crap out of it as soon as I got home. I'm honestly scared of medicine. It takes a lot for me to take Tylenol. Anyways for the most part it seems like it'll be ok. Other then making me tired I read that it can cause pms like symptoms. Boy oh boy when I woke up for work today was I an emotional wreck. My DH didn't know what was going on. I really haven't been emotional or hormonal this pregnancy so it really caught him off guard. I'm glad I only have to take this for the first trimester!
by on Jan. 17, 2018 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sciencelady
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 11:31 AM

I was on progesterone starting from 3 days after ovulation until I either got my period or until 7 weeks pregnant. I was on it for 3 months before we conceived.

Yup, I was also a raging lunatic. 

Momsoftwo93
by Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:03 PM
I went to the ER at 7 weeks thinking I had a miscarriage. Turned oit to be a SCH and baby was there and doing good. So I seen my OB and he said he suspected my progesterone was low, did blood work. Sure enough it was. So he called it in to my pharmacy. It took over a week to get my ins figured out to get it. I was worried that whole time about my baby and if not taking it right away would cause me to lose my baby. I've had 4 bleeds and clots now. I really dont know how a SCH and low progesterone relate but I'm hoping that now it will get better. Every time I bleed I get scared! Ill be 11 weeks this Saturday. I just cant wait to get to the 2nd trimester.

Quoting sciencelady:

I was on progesterone starting from 3 days after ovulation until I either got my period or until 7 weeks pregnant. I was on it for 3 months before we conceived.

Yup, I was also a raging lunatic. 

newmelly2009
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 12:45 PM
You waited a week to start on the progesterone? Did you doctor inform you that waiting to take progesterone if you are low is not a good idea? I have to take it every pregnancy and the side effects were aweful so I now just insert the pill and wala! No more mood swings 😂 I took it twice a day
Momsoftwo93
by Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 1:16 PM
Ya dr knew my ins was being a pain in the butt. But there wasnt anything anyone could do about it. The medicine was over $100 and I could afford it so I just spent a week on hold with my ins company until they gave me the info I needed to give the pharmacy. I'm just hoping everything will get better now. Ive never heard of any of this and this is my 4th pregnancy, hopefully 3rd baby as I had a loss between my 2 kiddos. Allthese complications are new and scary. Ive read so many things on SCH where women have a massive billed thinking they had a miscarriage but turned out to be a SCH and then had light spotting until it healed. Mine? No. Ive had 4 big bleeds, the last one being last night a few hours before I took my pregestrone. I had completely stopped bleeding or spotting any blood or dark brown discharge for 2 whole days for the first time since Dec 27th and then bam! Went pee and just gushed blood and passed a clot. No reason for it! So hopingwith every night I take my progesterone it'll get better and better. Not sure what SCH and low progestrone have in common buthopi g if my progesterone goes up then the SCH will finally heal.

Quoting newmelly2009: You waited a week to start on the progesterone? Did you doctor inform you that waiting to take progesterone if you are low is not a good idea? I have to take it every pregnancy and the side effects were aweful so I now just insert the pill and wala! No more mood swings 😂 I took it twice a day
newmelly2009
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 2:48 PM
I know prog is annoying and expensive. I don't know the correlation between the two but I did hear sch heals on its own. I never had one it must be awful.

Quoting Momsoftwo93: Ya dr knew my ins was being a pain in the butt. But there wasnt anything anyone could do about it. The medicine was over $100 and I could afford it so I just spent a week on hold with my ins company until they gave me the info I needed to give the pharmacy. I'm just hoping everything will get better now. Ive never heard of any of this and this is my 4th pregnancy, hopefully 3rd baby as I had a loss between my 2 kiddos. Allthese complications are new and scary. Ive read so many things on SCH where women have a massive billed thinking they had a miscarriage but turned out to be a SCH and then had light spotting until it healed. Mine? No. Ive had 4 big bleeds, the last one being last night a few hours before I took my pregestrone. I had completely stopped bleeding or spotting any blood or dark brown discharge for 2 whole days for the first time since Dec 27th and then bam! Went pee and just gushed blood and passed a clot. No reason for it! So hopingwith every night I take my progesterone it'll get better and better. Not sure what SCH and low progestrone have in common buthopi g if my progesterone goes up then the SCH will finally heal.

Quoting newmelly2009: You waited a week to start on the progesterone? Did you doctor inform you that waiting to take progesterone if you are low is not a good idea? I have to take it every pregnancy and the side effects were aweful so I now just insert the pill and wala! No more mood swings 😂 I took it twice a day
Angela4boys
by Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 2:52 PM

I took progesterone 2x per day, once in the morning, once before bed, from 4 weeks, until about 20 weeks.  I honestly didn't notice any mood issues.  I was tired, but I'm not sure I wouldn't have had that anyways from just being pregnant.  I also would get dizzy spells.  That's about it.  I didn't even have vaginal irritation, which I was worried about.

Momsoftwo93
by Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 2:53 PM
My biggest problem withthe SCH is not knowing if the bleed is the SCH or if ive miscarried. Every time I bleed I wonder if the clot I passed was my baby. I dont have a heart doppler. And I just have to wait for my next apt to see if I still have my baby. I dont have any pain with it it. But it just doesnt seem to be healing up. And thats what worries me

Quoting newmelly2009: I know prog is annoying and expensive. I don't know the correlation between the two but I did hear sch heals on its own. I never had one it must be awful.

Quoting Momsoftwo93: Ya dr knew my ins was being a pain in the butt. But there wasnt anything anyone could do about it. The medicine was over $100 and I could afford it so I just spent a week on hold with my ins company until they gave me the info I needed to give the pharmacy. I'm just hoping everything will get better now. Ive never heard of any of this and this is my 4th pregnancy, hopefully 3rd baby as I had a loss between my 2 kiddos. Allthese complications are new and scary. Ive read so many things on SCH where women have a massive billed thinking they had a miscarriage but turned out to be a SCH and then had light spotting until it healed. Mine? No. Ive had 4 big bleeds, the last one being last night a few hours before I took my pregestrone. I had completely stopped bleeding or spotting any blood or dark brown discharge for 2 whole days for the first time since Dec 27th and then bam! Went pee and just gushed blood and passed a clot. No reason for it! So hopingwith every night I take my progesterone it'll get better and better. Not sure what SCH and low progestrone have in common buthopi g if my progesterone goes up then the SCH will finally heal.

Momsoftwo93
by Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 2:56 PM
Did you have a SCH? That was my first problem. And my OB said he suspected my progesterone was low after seeing I had a SCH so I'm wondering if being low on my progesterone caused the SCH and if it will heal up faster now that I'm taking it. He didnt really give a lot of info and assured me that in the 40 years hes been an OB hes seen this situation and it almost always ends in delivering a healthy baby amd not to worry.

Quoting Angela4boys:

I took progesterone 2x per day, once in the morning, once before bed, from 4 weeks, until about 20 weeks.  I honestly didn't notice any mood issues.  I was tired, but I'm not sure I wouldn't have had that anyways from just being pregnant.  I also would get dizzy spells.  That's about it.  I didn't even have vaginal irritation, which I was worried about.

Angela4boys
by Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 3:02 PM
No, but I’ve had a stillborn, and many miscarriages in the past 5 years. I’m almost 41...I didn’t have my progesterone checked but us older ladies tend to have low progesterone.

Quoting Momsoftwo93: Did you have a SCH? That was my first problem. And my OB said he suspected my progesterone was low after seeing I had a SCH so I'm wondering if being low on my progesterone caused the SCH and if it will heal up faster now that I'm taking it. He didnt really give a lot of info and assured me that in the 40 years hes been an OB hes seen this situation and it almost always ends in delivering a healthy baby amd not to worry.

Quoting Angela4boys:

Momsoftwo93
by Member on Jan. 17, 2018 at 3:25 PM
Awe I'm sorry. My aunt had cancer when she was 12. Drs told ger that her eggs were pickled and shes never concive. So when she did get pregnant it was a big deal. She had her son early at 6 months and he didnt make it. Then she had 4 or 5 miscarriages and a still born. They finally found that she needed a cercloge (sp?) And the dr stitched her cervixs closed and she was able to carry not 1 but 2 babys to full term. I was with her every step of the way and it was hard! I couldn't imagine. I decided to call my Dr a few min ago. The nurse said she would leave him a note and hed be able to call me about 430pm to 5pm today. I can ask all the questions and do all kinds of google searches but at the end of the day I might as well just ask my Dr lol

Quoting Angela4boys: No, but I’ve had a stillborn, and many miscarriages in the past 5 years. I’m almost 41...I didn’t have my progesterone checked but us older ladies tend to have low progesterone.

Quoting Momsoftwo93: Did you have a SCH? That was my first problem. And my OB said he suspected my progesterone was low after seeing I had a SCH so I'm wondering if being low on my progesterone caused the SCH and if it will heal up faster now that I'm taking it. He didnt really give a lot of info and assured me that in the 40 years hes been an OB hes seen this situation and it almost always ends in delivering a healthy baby amd not to worry.

Quoting Angela4boys:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)