Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will you give your baby the vitamin K shot?

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:02 PM
  • 33 Replies

Shortly after birth this is what they gave all of my babies.  I've noticed when talking to some of my mommy friends in my neighborhood this subject had a lot of different opinions and controversy.

will you ladies be giving this to your newborn why and why not?

another thing I wanted to ask if you ladies will allow them to put those eye drops in your baby's eyes shortly after birth even though you do not have std's?

i do not have any std's so I am wondering what is the point. Lol

cannot believe how fast this pregnancy is going I will be 32 weeks the upcoming Wednesday:)

if you are not pregnant please let me know your input and what you did with your current kids when they were born?

by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyzzefrago
by Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:21 PM
That makes no sense that they give eye drops made for stds when there isn’t an std lol I’ve never had an std either so I wonder if they’re gonna try to slip those in when I’m not looking for my twins. I plan to do anything preventative honestly like shots asap etc but that’s just me, but then I don’t want them to have a bath for a few days I want the vernix to seep in or whatever it does lol.
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:23 PM
Our hospital doesn't do the eye drops unless the doctor prescribed it, and she only does if there's a good reason for it.

And I allow the vitamin K shot because I never really saw the harm.
novachick
by Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:26 PM
2 moms liked this
I didn't allow any of it.
sciencelady
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 8:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Absolutely. Evidence very firmly supports the use both. Mass use of the eye drops prevents infections in people who don't realize they have stds. Testing isn't always accurate.

And the vitamin K shot prevents bleeding, especially in exclusively breastfed infants The injection works better than oral vitamin K.
shaiorta
by Member on Jan. 19, 2018 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't vac at all so no to both. Our kids are all incredibly healthy as are hubby and I so I am not worried about it. Just about 37 wks now and so excited!
browncoat
by on Jan. 19, 2018 at 11:36 PM
3 moms liked this
This.

We are an evidence-based family!

Quoting sciencelady: Absolutely. Evidence very firmly supports the use both. Mass use of the eye drops prevents infections in people who don't realize they have stds. Testing isn't always accurate.

And the vitamin K shot prevents bleeding, especially in exclusively breastfed infants The injection works better than oral vitamin K.
DixonBabies
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 8:03 AM

Yes to both. 

wiccanlove92
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 9:43 AM
Yes to both
HisUsmcWifey
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Again, this, 1000%.

Quoting browncoat: This.

We are an evidence-based family!

Quoting sciencelady: Absolutely. Evidence very firmly supports the use both. Mass use of the eye drops prevents infections in people who don't realize they have stds. Testing isn't always accurate.

S.M.ile
by Member on Jan. 20, 2018 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I did it European way - gave vitamin K oral drops, as the hospital could not provide preservative-free shot. I read a lot of international information and most of it was saying that the oral vitamin k is better.
In terms of the antibiotic.... for me this is poinless, as you are tested for chlamydia anyway. But I did it, as I believe that it was not too bad for the baby. However for c-section babay, it is completely poinless.
I also refused the Hep B vaccine, as it's a disease that is blood -tranasmitted or STD. The earliest risk for the child is when he goes to daycare and toddlers bite each other. So we will delay for a while.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)