Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waiting to see Ob?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2018 at 1:55 PM
  • 54 Replies
I'm almost 11weeks and haven't made an appt yet. I was going to have one at 13weeks but for insurance reasons I may not be able to until 17+weeks.
Have any of y'all waited until later into your pregnancy to see an Ob or midwife?
It just feels odd. I'm so used to going in at about 7weeks.
by on Mar. 20, 2018 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 2:38 PM
17 wks seems excessive. Insurance in this country is the absolute WORST. By 17 wks, you've missed the window for the NIPT and other early detections.
mrs_mckay
by Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM
No way I’d wait that long. I was in for blood work at 4, viability scan at 6, then the normal appointment at 8. I know not everyone needs all that but 17wks seems risky.
tuckermum
by Crysta on Mar. 20, 2018 at 3:32 PM
It's awful. : /
But those test aren't always right. Would that be all I was missing? I'm not thrilled about waiting so long but we just can't afford it until my insurance changes in May.

Quoting anotherandree: 17 wks seems excessive. Insurance in this country is the absolute WORST. By 17 wks, you've missed the window for the NIPT and other early detections.
tuckermum
by Crysta on Mar. 20, 2018 at 3:33 PM
That was the same for my last 2.
What is risky about it?

Quoting mrs_mckay: No way I’d wait that long. I was in for blood work at 4, viability scan at 6, then the normal appointment at 8. I know not everyone needs all that but 17wks seems risky.
nanasue31204
by Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 4:15 PM
I was 15 weeks with my last due to insurance. I was a nervous wreck but thankfully she was healthy and is now cruising the furniture at almost 8 months old.
tuckermum
by Crysta on Mar. 20, 2018 at 4:32 PM
Insurance sucks!! Thank you :) and congrats on your now 8 month old :)

Quoting nanasue31204: I was 15 weeks with my last due to insurance. I was a nervous wreck but thankfully she was healthy and is now cruising the furniture at almost 8 months old.
Beautifulmom513
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 4:36 PM
I can’t. I have history of ectopic pregnancies. I have to be seen immediately as soon as I find out and be watched closely to make sure it’s not another ectopic. My last pregnancy I was in there at 3 weeks.
anotherandree
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
The NIPT is over 99% accurate for detecting chromosomal abnormalities Trisomy 13, 21, and 18. The quad screening is what is notorious for their false positives.

Quoting tuckermum: It's awful. : /
But those test aren't always right. Would that be all I was missing? I'm not thrilled about waiting so long but we just can't afford it until my insurance changes in May.

Quoting anotherandree: 17 wks seems excessive. Insurance in this country is the absolute WORST. By 17 wks, you've missed the window for the NIPT and other early detections.
B3autifulCha0s
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2018 at 6:04 PM
I wouldn’t wait that long but I had a 50-50 chance of losing my pregnancies so I was always seen as soon as I got a BFP.
tuckermum
by Crysta on Mar. 20, 2018 at 6:06 PM
Oh ok. But can't they detect those at the 18-20week ultrasound?

Quoting anotherandree: The NIPT is over 99% accurate for detecting chromosomal abnormalities Trisomy 13, 21, and 18. The quad screening is what is notorious for their false positives.

Quoting tuckermum: It's awful. : /

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)