Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

A "good" cyst on my ovary?

Posted by on May. 16, 2007 at 6:50 PM
  • 3 Replies
I went for my first ultrasound today to determine my due date more exactly and to make sure we could see a heartbeat.  Turns out my baby is fine and had a very strong heartbeat.  The tech said something strange to me though. She showed me on the screen that I had a cyst on my ovary and she said that was a very good thing.  She said something about they can show up at the beginning of a pregnancy and help the baby to attach correctly in the uterus.  She said they usually disappear around 12 weeks, but that they are a very healthy sign in pregnancy.  I had never heard of this.  This is my second pregnancy and I didn't get told this before and prior to today I had never heard the term "cyst" and the word "good" in the same sentence before.  Has anyone else heard of this?  Does anyone have a better definition of this condition?
by on May. 16, 2007 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
collinsdoxies
by on May. 17, 2007 at 5:21 AM
I went in to the emergency room because of cramps and thats where i found out i was pregnant, some cists are painful...some arent, but they told me the same thing, they also told me that every month a woman grows a cist on their ovaries, and they just disappear, some go away and some dont. I also heard that if you have a cist on your ovarie, and your not pregnant, and its a painful one, a way to get rid of them is to get pregnant, because it will slowly disappear, i know its weird. but thats what they said. its not a big deal, it should go away in time.
Alexsangel07
by on May. 18, 2007 at 4:16 AM
I went to the er because of cramps and found i had one and it was just making me "unconfortable" but it was ok so dont worry to much
funnymom32
by on May. 19, 2007 at 2:21 AM
It's called a corpus luteum cyst.  I went online and copied this from a website. 

"After an egg is released from the ovary, the corpus luteum is responsible for making the hormone progesterone. It is this hormone that prepares the uterus for pregnancy."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)