Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

placenta previa

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 5:49 PM
  • 19 Replies
Hello everyone, my name is Sonya. I am 18 weeks along. I just found out that I have a complete placenta previa. I have never been so scared in my life. For those of you that don't know what that is, it is when the placenta covers the cervix. This can be very dangerous. The chances of it moving when it is complete are very small. There are many complications that could happen. I am trying not to think about any of the bad things. Right now I am just trying to concentrate on the things my dr. told me.  I have not been put on bed-rest, but if I start to bleed I will be. I have a 2 year old daughter and I can't pick her up at all. This makes life tough.  No intercourse(poor hubby). and I have to just take it easy.  The probability of me going on bed-rest towards the end of my pregnancy is really high. To top it all off I just got a really bad cough. As you can imagine, this scares me even more, because every-time I cough I think "oh my god this is going to make me lose the baby, I am going to cough to hard and start to bleed!" I am just really scared. There are so many things that can go wrong. I can deal with not being able to pick up daughter, I can deal with the no sex, I can deal with bed rest and a c-section. I can not deal with the possibility of losing this baby or with having it way to early, or with a hysterectomy.  or worse I could even die from bleeding. Does anyone have any advice? Anyone been through this before? Even if it is a bad story I still want to hear it. I need all the information I can get. Thank you.
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mbmomof3
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 6:00 PM
Well, I offer a good story, actually a very good story, so I hope this helps make you feel better...My cousin was 7 mos pregnant and she too had complete placenta previa throughout her pregnancy.  Her dr. told her to prepare for the c-section as well as all the other things.  I saw her when she was 7 mos preg. and though she new it was very serious, she was very hopeful.  The last thing in the world she wanted was for anything bad to happen and she was terrified of a c-section.  when she went in at around 8 mos they did an ultrasound which I guess they do more often when a patient has placenta previa, and it had moved!  She was overjoyed.  They did another ultrasound closer to her due date and it was still moved away from her cervix.  What I have heard is that it is very normal for the placenta to move and even more normal for it to be near or covering the cervix early in pregnancy, which you are still fairly early in your pregnancy.  So, just keep your hopes up.   It is hard not to worry, but do your best to stay positive and keep this in your mind.  Best of luck!
gacgbaker
by on Feb. 25, 2007 at 6:07 PM
I don't have any experience with this... but just wanted you to know you will be in my prayers!
sonyarizzo
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Quoting mbmomof3:

Thank you so much for that story, I love hearing success stories of people with my condition. I pray that I have the same outcome.

Well, I offer a good story, actually a very good story, so I hope this helps make you feel better...My cousin was 7 mos pregnant and she too had complete placenta previa throughout her pregnancy.  Her dr. told her to prepare for the c-section as well as all the other things.  I saw her when she was 7 mos preg. and though she new it was very serious, she was very hopeful.  The last thing in the world she wanted was for anything bad to happen and she was terrified of a c-section.  when she went in at around 8 mos they did an ultrasound which I guess they do more often when a patient has placenta previa, and it had moved!  She was overjoyed.  They did another ultrasound closer to her due date and it was still moved away from her cervix.  What I have heard is that it is very normal for the placenta to move and even more normal for it to be near or covering the cervix early in pregnancy, which you are still fairly early in your pregnancy.  So, just keep your hopes up.   It is hard not to worry, but do your best to stay positive and keep this in your mind.  Best of luck!
sonyarizzo
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Quoting gacgbaker:

thank you so much. I could use all the prayers I can get.

I don't have any experience with this... but just wanted you to know you will be in my prayers!
mbmomof3
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 3:47 PM
Hi, I just wanted to give you an update...I just talked to my cousin and mentioned this to her and she said that her dr. mentioned that she should spend a part of the day (as much as she could 30 min, 1 hr) on bed rest laying on her side. She said this was to help the placenta move. Im not sure if this is a widely accepted practice, but she was willing to try anything. She didn't know if that was what helped it move or if it was just all the prayers, but something helped for certain! Just thought you might like to know!

Oh, and she said in 90% of placenta previa cases the placenta moves before  delivery, especially those diagnosed early (16-24 wks typical timing of 1st ultrasound) So that alone is good news!
Quoting sonyarizzo:

Quoting mbmomof3:

Thank you so much for that story, I love hearing success stories of people with my condition. I pray that I have the same outcome.

Well, I offer a good story, actually a very good story, so I hope this helps make you feel better...My cousin was 7 mos pregnant and she too had complete placenta previa throughout her pregnancy. Her dr. told her to prepare for the c-section as well as all the other things. I saw her when she was 7 mos preg. and though she new it was very serious, she was very hopeful. The last thing in the world she wanted was for anything bad to happen and she was terrified of a c-section. when she went in at around 8 mos they did an ultrasound which I guess they do more often when a patient has placenta previa, and it had moved! She was overjoyed. They did another ultrasound closer to her due date and it was still moved away from her cervix. What I have heard is that it is very normal for the placenta to move and even more normal for it to be near or covering the cervix early in pregnancy, which you are still fairly early in your pregnancy. So, just keep your hopes up. It is hard not to worry, but do your best to stay positive and keep this in your mind. Best of luck!

mbmomof3
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Sorry for going on and on about this, but it has really intrigued me.  I am sure you have probably searched far and wide for info on this, but here is a stat I came across that you might appreciate: 

**Like a fetus, a placenta can do a lot of moving around during pregnancy. It doesn't actually pick up and relocate, but it does appear to migrate upward as the lower segment of the uterus stretches and grows. Though an estimated 20% to 30% of placentas are in the lower segment in the second trimester (and an even larger percentage before 20 weeks), the vast majority move into the upper segment by the time delivery nears. If this doesn't happen and the placenta remains low in the uterus, a diagnosis of "placenta previa" is made. This complication occurs in only about 1%, or less, of full-term pregnancies. And, in only 1 out of 4 of these cases is the placenta located low enough-partially or completely covering the os, or mouth of the uterus-to cause a serious problem.

http://www.childbirthsolutions.com/articles/pregnancy/placentaprev/index.php

sonyarizzo
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Quoting mbmomof3:
thank you so much for all of your feed back. You have no idea how much it means to me. I am trying so hard to keep a positive attitude, but I am still so scared. I do try to lay down on my side as much as I can. it is hard with a 2 year old. along with all the praying, I have some hope that it will move. it is just the waiting that is so hard right now. I am only 20 weeks and I have to wait all the way to 28 weeks for my next ultrasound. It has only been two weeks since I first found out about it. It has been the longest 2 weeks of my life. I really don't know how I am going to make it another 8. I try to stay strong, but sometimes I just lose it. Every time you send me an email, it encourages me to stay Strong. so i truly thank you.

Sorry for going on and on about this, but it has really intrigued me.  I am sure you have probably searched far and wide for info on this, but here is a stat I came across that you might appreciate: 

**Like a fetus, a placenta can do a lot of moving around during pregnancy. It doesn't actually pick up and relocate, but it does appear to migrate upward as the lower segment of the uterus stretches and grows. Though an estimated 20% to 30% of placentas are in the lower segment in the second trimester (and an even larger percentage before 20 weeks), the vast majority move into the upper segment by the time delivery nears. If this doesn't happen and the placenta remains low in the uterus, a diagnosis of "placenta previa" is made. This complication occurs in only about 1%, or less, of full-term pregnancies. And, in only 1 out of 4 of these cases is the placenta located low enough-partially or completely covering the os, or mouth of the uterus-to cause a serious problem.

http://www.childbirthsolutions.com/articles/pregnancy/placentaprev/index.php

mbmomof3
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 11:12 AM
Stay strong and let us know how things are going!  We are praying for the best!  Pregnancy can be filled with wonderful things and scary things as well.  Hard as it is try to focus on the best things!!  Think about how wonderful it will be to see your baby during the ultrasound, happy and healthy!  I can't even imagine how difficult this is for you, but I am willing to listen any time!

yellowflower
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 11:43 AM
Hello, my best friend had this with both of her pregnancies, she worked with both of them she had to, she had a lot of cramping and discomfort she bleed a little in the first trimester but not much. she tried to take it easy as much as she could, she had to have a c-section with both.  They are very cute she had a boy and a girl there 3 years apart.  A c-section isn't bad at all I had one with my son No progress  so they had to give me one.  Know I am pregnant with my second and I have to have another one, so If you have to have a c-section it will be ok.
Mary
hamandbeans
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 2:55 PM
I'm  new here and this is my first post but wanted to reply to you.  I am actually in your situation.  I am 27 weeks and have placenta previa.  I've had it for the past few months.  Mine has not moved.  It's actually gotten a little worse.  We even had a little scare that it could be something called Acreta.  Which is really bad.  It's where the placenta grows into the tiusse and anchors itself.    Luckily they now do not thinik it's very probable I have this but they can't be sure.  On top of all this I am already a high risk pregnancy.  I have three blood clotting disorders that I take blood thinners for when I am pregnant.  I have been on bed rest for the past two weeks after I started bleeding.  Luckily I'm at home.  I will be one bed rest for the rest of my pregnancy as well. 

Anyways I really just wanted to let you know that you are NOt alone.  It is hard and is scary.  It is more likely that the placenta will move on it's own.  You are early and lots of things move around.  Just stay positive!  Try to stay down as much as you can.  Listen to your doctors and listen to your body!!!

Good Luck
Nicole

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)