Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how long after...

Posted by on May. 17, 2007 at 8:39 PM
  • 9 Replies
This is my second pregnancy and I have 4 weeks till my due date.  I have been losing my mucas plug little by little now for the past 2 days.  How long after did you go into labor after you lost your mucas plug?
by on May. 17, 2007 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gacgbaker
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2007 at 9:19 PM
For every woman it is different, and it isn't uncommon to lose it at 36 weeks, and then go even past due.  It is a sign that labor is coming soon, but how soon you can't really tell.  Your body is just preping for the big day.
mbmomof3
by on May. 17, 2007 at 9:29 PM
I actually lost mine at 28 weeks and then nothing, thankfully.  It regenerates and is regenerating as we speak.  So, though it can be a sign, it can also be nothing...My dr. described it as "not a cork in a bottle of wine".  Unlike a cork that once it's out the bottle is open, The mucous plug, is constantly rebuilding.  Unless you are getting contractions at the same time, it may not be a sign.

But, Because you are closer to your due date it may very well be a sign that labor is near!  The mucous plug often comes out once the cervix starts to soften and effacement begins.
melissajo02
by on May. 17, 2007 at 9:30 PM
About a week. 8 days actually.
Sarahem
by on May. 17, 2007 at 9:30 PM
With my daughter I don't remember anything like this.  I always feel kind of left in the dark when someone talks about losing their mucus plug.  My water broke while I was asleep and I woke up immediately.  It actually felt like she jumped or something and then I got wet.  I never had any kind of discharge that was anything to talk about.  (Not that I would talk about it, lol, but you know I mean!)  So, sorry to ask, but what is it like?  I'm pregnant now, so my curiosity is a little peaked again.  Maybe I just missed it last time??
mommareed
by on May. 17, 2007 at 9:32 PM

Quoting mbmomof3:

I actually lost mine at 28 weeks and then nothing, thankfully.  It regenerates and is regenerating as we speak.  So, though it can be a sign, it can also be nothing...My dr. described it as "not a cork in a bottle of wine".  Unlike a cork that once it's out the bottle is open, The mucous plug, is constantly rebuilding.  Unless you are getting contractions at the same time, it may not be a sign.

But, Because you are closer to your due date it may very well be a sign that labor is near!  The mucous plug often comes out once the cervix starts to soften and effacement begins.
yeah...I have been getting the braxton hicks contractions (pretty intense ones acually) for like 2 weeks now.  I am just nervous b/c my husband is in New york right now, and kinda scared he will miss the birth
mommareed
by on May. 17, 2007 at 9:34 PM

Quoting Sarahem:

With my daughter I don't remember anything like this.  I always feel kind of left in the dark when someone talks about losing their mucus plug.  My water broke while I was asleep and I woke up immediately.  It actually felt like she jumped or something and then I got wet.  I never had any kind of discharge that was anything to talk about.  (Not that I would talk about it, lol, but you know I mean!)  So, sorry to ask, but what is it like?  I'm pregnant now, so my curiosity is a little peaked again.  Maybe I just missed it last time??
it's clear (or sometimes has a little blood in it) and it kinda looks like snot, really stringy, and really gross lol
scb2007
by on May. 17, 2007 at 9:34 PM
mine came out in pieces, and it started around 36 weeks. at my 37 week appt my doctor noticed it was gone and i was 2 cm and 70% effaced. i thought i would have him the next day, and she did too since i was so big already! needless to say, i was 39 weeks and 4 days when he was born. so i guess it doesnt really matter, it can be a sign, or maybe not.
gacgbaker
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Quoting Sarahem:

With my daughter I don't remember anything like this. I always feel kind of left in the dark when someone talks about losing their mucus plug. My water broke while I was asleep and I woke up immediately. It actually felt like she jumped or something and then I got wet. I never had any kind of discharge that was anything to talk about. (Not that I would talk about it, lol, but you know I mean!) So, sorry to ask, but what is it like? I'm pregnant now, so my curiosity is a little peaked again. Maybe I just missed it last time??
Not all women do lose it, but it will be just like a discharge, might have a bloody tenge to it... sometimes it comes in a clump, and sometimes it comes out little at a time.
im_that_gurl511
by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:09 PM
For me more then losing my mucous plug I can tell when labor is coming really soon because I get diarrhea so a combination of the two is usually a sure sign. Thats just my body though every woman is different. Maybe other women could tell you weather it is the same for them or not.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured