Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Blackout/fainting spells help!

Posted by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

KINDA LONG THANKS IF YOU TOOK THE TIME TO READ! :)
I need help, I don't know what's wrong with me and I guess my doctor doesn't either... a couple weeks ago I was doing my grocery shopping and I started feeling a lil dizzy so I just thought "well I've worn myself out, it's time to go home" so I went over to the produce section and grabbed my last few items and then went to checkout, as I was walking to the checkout I just felt myself getting weaker and weaker as if my body was just going completely numb and felt myself forcing to stay standing so I leaned against my cart and then waited in the checkout lane and as I was unloading my cart I felt so weak I could barely even pick up some bananas I was getting to put up on the belt and then all of a sudden I just couldn't stand up anymore and my vision went black and I suddenly could barely hear anybody... I was about to pass out so I just dropped my purse and stuff and sat down on the floor and put my head between my knees for a little bit until I could see again.  I don't know what it was, I gave my credit card to the cashier and had her slide it for me and everything and I just sat there until I regained a little strength to stand back up again and then one of the baggers pushed my cart over by a bench and I went and sat there.  I called my husband cause I was too afraid to drive home and had him come get me and then had my mom come pick me up to take me to the ER.... when I got there they did blood tests on me and checked my blood sugar, gave me fluids and such but didn't find anything wrong with me, kept me there for a couple hours and then sent me on home.  Well the reason I am bringing up this subject again is just a couple hours ago I was in the same store grabbing a couple things before I came home and it happened again but this time I made it to the bench just before I started blacking out and sat there, my vision went black and I went half deaf-like again and just slumped on the bench... both times I am fully aware of my surroundings but it almost feels like I am fainting and I'm afraid one day I'm really going to faint and I don't know what's wrong with me and neither did the doctors when I got tested but it's really scary.  What do you think could be causing this? Is this just something normal that happens during pregnancy or is it something that you think I should call my doctor and talk to about again?

by on May. 17, 2007 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
luvmyfam
by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:07 PM
Wow, I would stop going to that store!! Are those the only 2 time's it's happened?? I've never really heard about it. I would have suggested that it was your blood sugar or blood pressure or something, but you said that they checked it and it was fine. I'm not sure...sorry, I would definitely call your doctor to at least let him know that it happened again and see if they can think of anything else that could be wrong.
Sarahem
by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:19 PM
I'm sorry to admit, I didn't read the entire thing.  I am tired and have a short attention span.  :(
But, I wanted to tell you my friend I used to work with did this a few times at work.  Our job required a lot of walking around and bending down, and stretching up.  The Dr told her there was nothing wrong and her baby turned out fine.  He put her on a work restriction so that she wasn't pushing herself too hard.  I've heard that it is something that isn't necessarily common like morning sickness, but does happen to pregnant women.
manda2106
by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:28 PM
I dont know why it happens either but this is my 2nd pregnancy and i will be 13 wks tomorrow and i have been having that problem alot. I have had to sit on the bathroom floor soapy and blacked out, i was at the zoo the other day with my family and had to sit down every few feet so i wouldnt faint, in stores just everywhere. for me there hasnt been any common ground between any of the times it happens so im not sure what triggers it. i guess it would be a good idea to call my OB and ask her what causes that in pregnant women, its quite frustrating.
LaylaBeth
by on May. 17, 2007 at 11:33 PM
This has happened to me!  It's so scary! 

It happened a few times when I was pregnant with my son, too, but these last times--during this pregnancy--they have been much more "severe." 

I have heard it is somewhat normal...
But it makes me TOTALLY scared to drive!!!

:-/
LadyAlexea
by on May. 18, 2007 at 10:43 AM
That also has been happening to me at work Ill be sitting there doing nothing and have to get up and walk around and ill get really dizzy and my hearing goes. Its real scary. Havent brought it up with my doc yet but i am gonna on my next appointment. 
Blondesmv
by on May. 18, 2007 at 11:18 AM
When I hit about 20 weeks I started having fainting spells and I still get them.  Make sure you carry a bottle of water with you EVERYWHERE and if you're in a store, you might as well eat something.  I usually cant shake the feeling until I've laid down for a while.  Try not to be like me though, I'll lay ANYWHERE!!  One time a little girl thought I was a hobo, lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN