Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IUD

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 5:34 PM
  • 12 Replies
OK, I am really thinking about well not thinking but am going to get on birth control after this baby, I really want to get my tubes tied but afraid it might be something I regret in a few years even though I swear this is my last pregnancy but you never know anyways....I am bad at taking pills, the patch I just never liked and plus my insurance will cover it and I will lose my insurance 60 days after I have baby therefore something long term would be great! SO the IUD I was thinking would be a great option since its a long year plan and can be taken out at anytime....but I have heard of more bad experiences from people that have had it then good....I plan on talking to my Dr more about it in a few weeks since I don't have much longer before I have baby BUT from the ones that have actually used it and know what its really like.....any recommendations? Is there more then one type and how do they vary between each other or determine which one is best for you? And does it really make you bleed for a long time and make you sick...etc, etc...input would be great so I can decide! Thanks!
babies
by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2beSept08
by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 6:01 PM
I have heard that there is a high chance to have your uterous punctured with a IUD. Do your research before getting it. :) Good luck :)
B34ut1ful
by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 6:22 PM
OK I would be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry careful with the IUD. Just a couple of stories (not trying to scare u)

1. I had one friend who's body thought the IUD was a baby so her body went into labor.

2. I had another friend who had a well endowed husband and they were doing it rough one time, and he put a hole in her uterus.

I dont wanna scare you, because every woman is different, but something like that just scares the crap out of me because every womans body is different and u never know how ur body will respond or what it will do to ur body.

Hope i helped!
miskey
by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 6:24 PM
I've had several friends get IUDs over the past couple months and they really like them.  They are a lot safer than they used to be.  You can always get the kind that doesn't have any hormones if you're concerned about that.  I'm thinking about getting one myself because I want to get my tubes tied as well.  Hope all goes well =)
britt_a
by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 6:27 PM
I had the Paraguard (copper T) it doesn't have any hormones in it and I loved it but for me it slid down and the doctor didn't fix it. I got pregnant, then miscarried because they wouldn't take it out. I suggest you talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits and what they would do in a situation like that. I just happened to have a crappy doctor that did it. Up until that though I absolutely loved it.

Group Owner of Venting Mama's and Wives

http://www.cafemom.com/group/16992

tired1231
by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 6:28 PM
I ve had one before and hated it I would have my period every 2 weeks the damn string would poke me all day every day. I had it taken out 3 months after it got put in. But my brothers girlfriend has had one for 3 years and she loves the thing, she has never had a problem before. But I have a tilted pelvis and my doc told me that was my problem. do your home work and good luck.
lobstergrrl
by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 7:30 PM
I'll give you the flip side...
I got pregnant using a diaphragm, twice. I could never take the pill, it killed my libido and I had headaches and gained weight that I could not lose. The depo shots were worse and I bled for over a year, almost constantly.
I love my IUD.
they recommend it to women who have :
1)had kids already
2) are in monogamous relationships
3)have not got a Hx of stds or certain stds
4)are not too young, I think teens mostly.

I had no poking, no side affects, regular periods and a normal sex drive. My husband could not feel it. I had the paraguard, so no hormones and it was in for almost ten years. I got pregnant within two months of its removal. I will have another one put in after I have the baby (I think at six weeks PP).
I am just not comfortable with the permanancy of a tubal ligation.
IUD's are much safer than they used to be. be sure to do your research and talk with your GYN about whether it is a good option for you.
good luck!
daisymae1627
by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM
There was a lot of good information.....good and bad! I will most likely talk to her  next appt and see what she thinks and says!

Thanks to the ones that did respond!! It was a lot of help : )
babies
aks1382
by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 11:09 PM
I also had the copper IUD...for about 3 1/2 yrs (My youngest son is 4). I personally had no problems, side effects, etc. & LOVED it!  If I wasn't getting tubes tied after this baby, (I'm due about 2 wks. before you) I would be getting another one.  We had mine taken out in early June & found out we were expecting early July.  HTH some & congrats on your little one!

RoXanNe84
by on Feb. 22, 2008 at 11:19 PM
I too want to get my tubes tied after this one 'cause I'm pretty sure we're done having kids... but there is that little doubt so I'm opting for the iud. I've talked to my midwife about both options and she seems to think that the iud is a better choice, because I'm young and she said that it's more accurate then a tubal, but not as permanent.  I'm going to talk to my ob at my next visit to see what he suggests.

You’re the reason

For my smile =)

mykidzof8
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 11:43 AM
I got pregnant with twins while I had an IUD in
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured