Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Fetal Kick Counts and NS Tests - piog

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 1:26 PM
  • 2 Replies
Hi all!  I am now 32 weeks and I'm supposed to start fetal kick counts but I'm not real sure what I'm doing (didn't have to do this with dd and the instructions are confusing)

Do I need to count for a specific amount of time or is it only 10 movements.  Sometimes I can get 10 movements in 10 minutes others it takes a few hours.

Also, does it matter since I'm starting tuesday/friday (2x wk) non-stress tests?

I guess it seems silly to do kick counts simply b/c what if I get 10 in 10 minutes and then the baby doesn't move the rest of the day (that RARELY happens).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Angela
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
tpatte06
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM
i believe that its 10 movements within an hour. i have about 10 more weeks before i have to do that. i had to do it with my first but shes almost 2 so the memory is vague, but im 95% sure its 10 in 1 hour. Call your doctor for verification!!

it is rare that the baby will only move that little bit the whole day..LOL. im 22 weeks and my lil girl moves almost all day i swear, but the good thing is that as of right now shes up all day and sleep all night, or at least she doesn't move enough to wake me up, unless of course my bladder is too full for her..LOL. Shes going crazy as i type.
ashboot
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:28 PM

My Dr. told me it is 10 movements in 2 hours.  Once you get the 10 movements you stop.  Some say that after the first hour if you haven't had 10 then get something to drink like orange juice and maybe something to eat and continue counting. 
I am also doing 2x weekly NST's and my dr. said to still do kick counts.
For me some days I know her movement is fine and I don't really do them. But on days that it seems abnormal I do them once in the morning and then again in the evening.  To me it is just another way to reassure myself that she's okay.  Although in the last couple of weeks it I have freaked out a couple of times because she doesn't have much room left and so movements are really different.
Hope that was some help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN