Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT COULD THiS BE? *CONCERNED* LONG PiOG

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM
  • 13 Replies
ok imma try and explain this as good as i can
im almost 20 weeks pregnant
and yesterday i started feeling a pain in my ribs (the left side) that kind of feel like a sore pain, like a pain you would feel after you get hit there, or the kind of pain you would feel in you stomach for doing too much sit-ups
i could even feel it if i put pressure on the area with my fingers, and wen i rub the area it feels like i can feel a muscle, i started feelign this yesterday night, and i still feel it now, i can feel it if i bend to that side, or if i walk, or basically make any kind of movement
i asked my mother about it and she thinks possibly its the baby, maybe it kicked me there, or is leaning on that area, but i think the baby might still be to small to reach up there, but im not very tall, only 5'3-5'4 so i dont kno maybe it can be the baby, but wouldnt i have felt tha baby kick there? and whenever i feel the baby kick i always feel her at my lower abdomen, my father thinks that maybe i pulled a muscle without realizing it, or that the cup on my bra is rubbing on the area because im wearing a bra thats still a little big on me but feels comfortable and i can grow into it, but ive been wearing it for awhile, why would i feel it now?
i called the doctor and she said dont know what it can be, she thinks it might be the baby as well and for me to put a warm compress on it and if it dont relieve the pain to go to the hospital
WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS CAN BE? ANYONE ELSE ESPERIENCED THIS WHILE PREGNANT?
im so worried and concerned because this is my first pregnancy and baby =[
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ovbaby3
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:01 PM
i get that pain... and i have had it since about 21 weeks... i am 32.5 weeks and it just gets worse... does it sorta tingle like when your foot falls asleep?? does gently massaging it make it feel better... im 5'2.5 and its my baby causing pressure there that just kills me... does standing make it feel better sometimes??? does laying on your left make it feel better? I get it the worst when I sit up... like in a chair or car... if I am laying down or standing it feels a little better... but i think it is just my baby pushing against my ribs with her knees or buttocks that drives me nuts... it almost burns... like it feels like fire ants have been biting me inside... EW!! i have one of those hand held wood massagers with the 4 feet... and i lay down and gently rub it in circles where it hurts and it actualy feels better for like a minute!!! haha, and warm showers help me... i just let the water run over it... sometimes the pain makes me cry... i just sit on my couch and cry and feel sorry for myself... haha... only when im alone though!! haha...
ovbaby3
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:02 PM
and it always feels better after i take off my bra...or wear one without wire... the extra pressure from my boobs being so heavy doesnt help
exquisiitejade
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM

Quoting ovbaby3:

and it always feels better after i take off my bra...or wear one without wire... the extra pressure from my boobs being so heavy doesnt help
i switched to a sports bra, just in case it was my bra but it didnt relieve anything =/
exquisiitejade
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:06 PM

Quoting ovbaby3:

i get that pain... and i have had it since about 21 weeks... i am 32.5 weeks and it just gets worse... does it sorta tingle like when your foot falls asleep?? does gently massaging it make it feel better... im 5'2.5 and its my baby causing pressure there that just kills me... does standing make it feel better sometimes??? does laying on your left make it feel better? I get it the worst when I sit up... like in a chair or car... if I am laying down or standing it feels a little better... but i think it is just my baby pushing against my ribs with her knees or buttocks that drives me nuts... it almost burns... like it feels like fire ants have been biting me inside... EW!! i have one of those hand held wood massagers with the 4 feet... and i lay down and gently rub it in circles where it hurts and it actualy feels better for like a minute!!! haha, and warm showers help me... i just let the water run over it... sometimes the pain makes me cry... i just sit on my couch and cry and feel sorry for myself... haha... only when im alone though!! haha...
it doesnt tingle, but if i stand and bend to the side i dont feel it as much but if im sitting and bend to the side i feel it more, it dont bother me when im laying on it, but when i walk i can feel it with every step i take, it hasnt hurt to the point that it made me cry but it bothers enough to cause me concern and last night i paid no mind to it cuz i figured i can sleep it off but i wake up and its still there
jaysmama71
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM
My guess is that it is sore muscles from your growing uterus. Sometimes I get a really sharp pain in my left side, right below my ribs and it has happened with all of my pregnancies. I can't explain why it's worse on one side than the other but it just happenes sometimes. You will feel all kinds of pains and cramps and stuff throughout your pregnancy. Most will be nothing to concern yourself about but if you are worried then make an appointment to see your OB. HTH!

Tessa
exquisiitejade
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:13 PM

Quoting jaysmama71:

My guess is that it is sore muscles from your growing uterus. Sometimes I get a really sharp pain in my left side, right below my ribs and it has happened with all of my pregnancies. I can't explain why it's worse on one side than the other but it just happenes sometimes. You will feel all kinds of pains and cramps and stuff throughout your pregnancy. Most will be nothing to concern yourself about but if you are worried then make an appointment to see your OB. HTH!

Tessa
when i called my doctor she didnt seem like it was something to be concerned about (guess she gets calls about this everyday) she just sed if a warm compress dont  relieve the pain then go to the hospital, i dont have a warm compress tho so i just been sticking it out, but my next appt with my OB is march 5, and next wed the 27th i have a anatomy U/S appt at the hospital the doctor referred me too, so maybe ill ask then if it dont go away by then =/
SonyaReads
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:17 PM
It' sprobably a pulled muscle.  Your muscles all around your abdomen are stretching, and getting weaker, so it probably is easier to pull them, I would think.

I got a really bad cold when i was pregnant with number 1.  I coughed as I was turning, and he kicked at the same time, and broke my bottom rib on my right side.  Two weeks later, the same exact thing happened, except he broke the bottom rib on the left side.  There wasn't anything Anyone could do for me.  They had already given me a script for loratabs because nothing else would stop the coughing, but I didn't want to take them because of the baby, even though they said they were okay.  After the ribs broke, I sure took them.  Ever coughed with a broken rib?  They couldn't do an xray, and couldn't wrap them up either.  Last year I went to the chiropractor and they took xrays, and the chiro asked me how I managed to break both my bottom ribs because you could see the cracks in the xray, he didn't believe me when i told him:)

I also had something called costachondritis once, which is an inflammation of the connective tissue between the ribs.  It was AWFUL.  It felt like someone had taken a baseball bat and cracked me right in the side.  It hurt to move or even breath. 

Enough about me, sorry for the rambling.....

The way my midwife explained all the weird aches and pains to me was that it was mainly muscles stretching to make room for the baby, maybe that's all it is.
jaysmama71
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Quoting exquisiitejade:

Quoting jaysmama71:

Tessa
when i called my doctor she didnt seem like it was something to be concerned about (guess she gets calls about this everyday) she just sed if a warm compress dont  relieve the pain then go to the hospital, i dont have a warm compress tho so i just been sticking it out, but my next appt with my OB is march 5, and next wed the 27th i have a anatomy U/S appt at the hospital the doctor referred me too, so maybe ill ask then if it dont go away by then =/
Get a wash rag and get it wet either with hot water or put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds or so and then put on the tender area. That is basically what a hot compress is.
exquisiitejade
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:20 PM

Quoting SonyaReads:

It' sprobably a pulled muscle.  Your muscles all around your abdomen are stretching, and getting weaker, so it probably is easier to pull them, I would think.

I got a really bad cold when i was pregnant with number 1.  I coughed as I was turning, and he kicked at the same time, and broke my bottom rib on my right side.  Two weeks later, the same exact thing happened, except he broke the bottom rib on the left side.  There wasn't anything Anyone could do for me.  They had already given me a script for loratabs because nothing else would stop the coughing, but I didn't want to take them because of the baby, even though they said they were okay.  After the ribs broke, I sure took them.  Ever coughed with a broken rib?  They couldn't do an xray, and couldn't wrap them up either.  Last year I went to the chiropractor and they took xrays, and the chiro asked me how I managed to break both my bottom ribs because you could see the cracks in the xray, he didn't believe me when i told him:)

I also had something called costachondritis once, which is an inflammation of the connective tissue between the ribs.  It was AWFUL.  It felt like someone had taken a baseball bat and cracked me right in the side.  It hurt to move or even breath. 

Enough about me, sorry for the rambling.....

The way my midwife explained all the weird aches and pains to me was that it was mainly muscles stretching to make room for the baby, maybe that's all it is.
my mom is saying that it was probably just my muscles being stretched, and when i rub the area i felt something and made my father feel it and he said it feels like a muscle =/ so maybe thats wat it is, but your info helped alot, it sounds alot like the second story you wrote
supershlea
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 3:21 PM
I would say it is probablly a pulled muscle.  This is pretty common with everything in that area stretching.

When I was pregnant with my first, though, he pretty much lived with his butt shoved up there, so it could be that, too!  Good luck!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured