Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anyone else feel this way?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 5:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi!  I am 20 weeks along with my first baby and I'm having issues with other people (some family, some friends) telling me what gender my baby is.  I know it's a girl.  I have felt "girl" from the very begining and I have been getting very aggrivated with people telling me things like, "No, I think it's a boy" or "Your carrying like it's a boy" or "We'll just have to wait and see what the sonogram says".  My husband doesn't even believe me!  He wants "proof".  We're having a sonogram tomorrow to determin the sex.  So, anyone else feeling this way?

by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gacgbaker
by on Feb. 28, 2007 at 5:48 PM
So sorry that friends and family are kind of being discouraging with those remarks!  It can be hard to listen to things like that all the time... I hope that the ultrasound goes well, and you come back after and let us know how great your little girl is doing!
mommacat
by on Mar. 1, 2007 at 10:43 AM
I believe you!!! I knew with  my first 2 what they were going to be and this time I think boy. Too many people have to have proof of everything, they don't realize that if you tune into your body you know alot!!! Hang in there!!!
Fawn80
by on Mar. 1, 2007 at 11:55 AM

The unfortunate thing about pregnancy is - - - EVERYONE knows EVERYTHING about it. Not so. Let them have their opinions. Even after you have the sonogram - they will say - "Well it could be wrong!" Everyone will guess what it is cause of the way you are carrying, or what you eat, or how you sleep. Each woman, each pregnancy is different. 
In my family, we have an "Old Wives" tradition that we do. My great grandma has a nail. That nail gets tied to a piece of yarn, then held over the belly of the expecting mother. If the nail sways back and forth - it's a boy. If it goes in a circle - its a girl. BUT - this can only be done by another woman that has given birth before. For some reason, this method has always been right. But like I say, its an old wives thing. For my mom, when she was pregnant with my sister (20 years ago) the Nail said Girl. Sonogram said Boy - and oh boy was my granny HOT! So when my sister was born - Oh she let everyone know that her nail was never wrong!
And with me - I've heard the baby's heart beat at every appt. When we did the sonogram, it took 45 minutes for them to take all the measurements - NO PART of my uterus was unexplored. But EVERYONE asks if I'm having twins - or if I'm due before May because of how large my belly is.
So I don't let it bother me.  I just let everyone think what they want. I know. I feel my son in there.
And by the way - I never knew what the sex was. My husband knew from day one with all 3. SCARY!!

nutabug
by on Mar. 1, 2007 at 11:57 AM
I think everyone gets overly excited and wants to share anyway they can and this is usually how they do it!!  Best of luck with your new joy!!
A.Rock1603
by on Mar. 2, 2007 at 5:10 PM

i knew i was having a girl the whole time and i was right!!!!

my friend knew it wass a boy the whole and she was right!!!!!

mother knows best!!!!

Stargazer_Mommy
by on Mar. 2, 2007 at 9:56 PM
Luckily random people have not been guessing. I've found that sometimes I have to cut people off when they try to give me unasked for advice or comments. No one has any right to impose on you just because you're pregnant. Don't feel bad about saying, "shhhh!".
I am right about where you are and had a feeling it's a girl. Very much so. My husband too, was wanting proof. We got one ultrasound that seals the deal. We'll get more proof at our next appt. with the next ultrasound. But, it seems I was right!
Good luck!!!

MammaCat
by on Mar. 2, 2007 at 10:09 PM
I "knew" mine was gonna be a girl, as well. I'm 29 1/2 weeks now. I got my sonogram about a week after I found out I was pregnant, actually! But yeah... I had that feeling, too.

I have the proof. I've shown people the proof. It's a VERY clear picture of the proof!!! And I still get people saying "ya know, it could still be a boy"... "you never truly know till it gets here"... "it could have been hiding those parts"... blah blah blah freakin' BLAH!!!

I know she's a girl. I also have proof she's a girl. And, the pic is quite litterally as if she "displayed" herself just to say "HEY! Mommy is right! I'm a girl!"

It drives me nuts, too. I try to ignore people, though. SOme days it's harder than others...
mummyjones
by on Mar. 2, 2007 at 11:33 PM
I am right there with you on that one...  First, I was thinking girl... and EVERYONE was telling me.. "oh yeah it's a girl", but now that I'm 19 weeks and barely showing, everyone says it's a boy...  Ugh.. I find out in a week what I'm having, and I am in limbo...  So I hear yea loud and clear about the baby predictions drama
Hlask06
by on Mar. 2, 2007 at 11:39 PM
Mother knows best. You can feel what it is. It's part of our bond. As far as how you carry it and what you crave-thats all BS you can research it and there is nothing proving that it is accurate.
honey1
by on Mar. 22, 2007 at 2:16 PM
Hi I am new here but when I first started showing (this is my first baby) everyone had a diffrent opion and I thought it was a boy my DH thought it was a girl most everyone thought it was a girl and veru few thought it was a boy so when we had the ultra sound done at 20 weeks just before xmas It turned out we were having a boy and I was excited then everyone tried to say that is what they said all along I thought that it was funny.  But at the time I remember being frustrated so good luck!  They say mama always know best.Kiss

Carin
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)