Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

breastfeeding no milk coming out what to do?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 1:55 AM
  • 9 Replies

hi my name is Linda and i am having a problem its been 3 days that my breast milk hasn't come out like it leaks but when its time to pump it only comes out a Lil and then it stops well now its been 3 days that i have'nt had any milk come out what should i do i tried warm water in the shower like i let the warm water hit my breast but still nothing and they don't hurt but they are full...what to do ladies??

by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jaspermantis
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:00 AM
Are you only pumping?
Are you massaging them as you pump?  (firmly buy gently squezing them.)
When was your baby born....just 3 days ago?
What kind of pump do you have?
Are you relaxed and can you see your baby when you pump?
jaspermantis
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:14 AM
I'm about to go to bed....hopefully someone will catch you on here later if you are still on.

My advice.  Get that baby on your boob.  Keep nursing on demand, as much as possible.  Babies have such a way of doing what they need to do better than any pump.

Not sure if you need latching advice...so I'm just going to give it, anyway, just incase.  Baby's mouth W I D E open, tongue out, and nipple in to the back of the tongue.  (sometimes you have to really man-handle your way in there!  For a lack of a better word!) It will be easier when everyone is in a relaxed comfortable state.  If baby is too hungry or you are nervous, it will be harder.  Just relax......feeding baby is your ONLY job.  You have weeks to master it! 

Congrats with the newbie!  Good luck with the nursing.  Hang in there, and be persistant....you are both new at it so you have to be the leader!
Mommylilboy
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:16 AM
Are you only pumping? Are you massaging them as you pump? (firmly buy gently squezing them.) When was your baby born....just 3 days ago? What kind of pump do you have? Are you relaxed and can you see your baby when you pump?

yes i tryed breast feeding him with out the pump but since i didnt do it after he was born cuz i was so tired they gave him the bottle yes i do massage them as i pump but it only comes out a lil bit my baby was born on feb.16th i have the pump u plug in yes i am relaxed sometimes and yes i can see my baby
babytugz
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:22 AM
best peice of advice you can get and i can give is do only breastfeeding with the baby for a while pumping wont help your milk come in as the stimulation of the babies sucking will .i promise that will be the best thing .i was told this by a doctor as the oump just does that pump there is no stimulation to get the milk going as the babies tounge sucks it also rubbs and it stimulates the milk to come down its like a switch .do brestfeeding with the baby only for a while it will come down it may take a few days as youve delayed the proccess a bit.if the baby is still hungry after feeding as it may take a few times before the baby gets a full feeding then supplament but brestfeed first alwaysthen bottle.i recommend the breastflow bottles by first years as i have had no nipple confusion for the baby with these as i did with lots of other bottles with my other children i brestfeed.
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker
jaspermantis
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:25 AM

Quoting Mommylilboy:

yes i tryed breast feeding him with out the pump but since i didnt do it after he was born cuz i was so tired they gave him the bottle yes i do massage them as i pump but it only comes out a lil bit my baby was born on feb.16th i have the pump u plug in yes i am relaxed sometimes and yes i can see my baby
Hmmm....

Do you feel comfortable putting the kiddo back to the breast? 

Also....maybe you just have a really slow let down reflex.  Keep the pump on your breast for longer.....sometimes there was quite a delay before the milk came pouring down for me.

How much were you typically pumping before per session?

....I really wish there was a Lactation Consultant on here for you right now.  Do you know your LLL number.  They can be so helpful just over the phone.  I would email them immediately or call them tomorrow.

K....I'm -really- going to bed now! 

I wish you the best, hun.

My advice still is baby to boob without knowing the answer to the questions I just asked....
Mommylilboy
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:30 AM
i would at least stay on the pump for an hour or a lil longer and really the only thing i would get was 2 ounces and if i leave it a lil longer my nipples would get sore im going to try to keep giving him my boob thanks for the advice
Danotoyou2
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:41 AM

Quoting Mommylilboy:

i would at least stay on the pump for an hour or a lil longer and really the only thing i would get was 2 ounces and if i leave it a lil longer my nipples would get sore im going to try to keep giving him my boob thanks for the advice
Definitely try putting him directly on the breast. Pumps are a great thing, but not nearly as efficient as the sucking of a baby.

If he's used to the bottle it might take a while to get him on the breast, but he will... just try to be patient and keep trying.

Danell S.

Editor of TrueBirth.com 

Birth and pregnancy news, research and information

Mateos_mommy
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 2:59 AM
You definatly want to keep giving him your breast. When you use a pump it does not empty your breast all the way. So if milk is still left inside your body views that as the child does not need that milk. So it makes less and less. If after you get your milk supply back up ( it will take a while ) when you breast feed him if he is not quite hungry yet pump your milk in between feedings. This will also help the whole supply and demand thing. Also remember to pump if you get sick. Even though he can't drink it you can still keep that supply up. Good Luck.

Crystal Coulter

jaspermantis
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Quoting Mateos_mommy:

You definatly want to keep giving him your breast. When you use a pump it does not empty your breast all the way. So if milk is still left inside your body views that as the child does not need that milk. So it makes less and less. If after you get your milk supply back up ( it will take a while ) when you breast feed him if he is not quite hungry yet pump your milk in between feedings. This will also help the whole supply and demand thing. Also remember to pump if you get sick. Even though he can't drink it you can still keep that supply up. Good Luck.
If you get sick.....it is -more- important to nurse because baby will need your antibodies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN