Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Driving to the hospital?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM
  • 13 Replies
Is it okay to drive yourself to the hospital if your water broke but you're not having contractions, or your contractions aren't that close together or severe yet??

I'm just trying to think about what I should do if I have to go and my bf isn't home or close to home. I live with my parents and they don't drive (I'd rather call an ambulance). It would probably take my uncle, at most, an hour to get here from his house if he's available, but what if I can't wait that long? My bf works 1hr away WITHOUT traffic. The hospital is about 30mins away. It would take any of my friends at least 30mins to get to my house.

At this point, I just have to hope that things will go smoothly and I won't have to rush.

iOno, just being anxious..... anxiousssssssssssssSSsSSSsSSs!!!

Innocent
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SexyCocoaMama
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 7:05 PM
I think it is perfectly fine to drive yourself to the hospital if you feel that you can and it's not an extremely long drive to the hospital.  My friend's water broke in the middle of the day while she was eatting.  now we all worked together and we all lived in the same neighborhood, all 7 of us about a house apart from one another.  Instead of calling one of us, she packed her sandwich and put it inthe refrigaerator, took a shower to clean herself up, got into clean close like she was just getting ready to go to work or something, tossed her hospital bags into the car and drove herself to the hospital like she was going shopping.  Just because your water breaks doesn't mean the babies going to slide from between your legs in the next 5 minutes. I tried explaining to my husband but he was too hysterical to listen :)
bccrt5
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 7:11 PM
if you feel it is safe, then i say it is fine.  with my daughter, my water broke, and it took 13.5 hours to get her into the world.  so, obviously there was no reason to hurry to the hospital..
mbmomof3
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 7:35 PM
My first instinct would be no, but that is because of all the shows I watch on the TV where the lady delivers in crazy places.  That is pretty unlikely, but I would err on the side of caution.  If it is painful then don't drive. It could be very distracting and dangerous.  If it is a rush situation then you definitely don't want to drive--call the ambulance.  They are prepared for this type of thing.  If it isn't a rush, and labor usually isn't, then it won't be a big deal to wait for someone who can drive you, even if it means waiting an hour.  Your best bet is to ask your Dr. what they think.  I couldn't imagine driving myself.  I had to wait about an hour for a ride with my second as I went in to labor in a snowstorm,  It took us 2 hrs to drive what normally takes 1 so a total of 3 hours before I got to the hospital.  Still I had PLENTY of time..  I wasn't in terrible pain, but I was nervous and excited so I could not imagine driving myself.  Good Luck!
Tricia76
by on Mar. 4, 2007 at 7:43 PM
I drove to the hospital when I was having my second child.It was a 30 minute drive but I did it.
im_that_gurl511
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 12:31 AM

Quoting Tricia76:

I drove to the hospital when I was having my second child.It was a 30 minute drive but I did it.

I drove myself with my second also. I would say your gonna have to judge that when the time comes. I didnt have to take a highway just roads and pulled off to the side when I felt a contraction coming on.Just do what you think is the safest thing for you and your baby.
BUFF
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 12:51 AM

As long as your feeling fine and arent to anxious, you should do fine.  You could wait for your boyfriend to get home just dont wait for very long because you run the risk of infection if you do. good luck ")
allieyp
by on Mar. 5, 2007 at 3:26 PM
When my water broke I was lucky enough to have someone nearby come and drive me to the hospital.  I would have done it myself and probably gotten into a wreck.  See when my water broke, there were no contractions, I didn't have contractions for an hour.  Of course they began as soon as I got in the car, they started at 5 minutes apart and by the time we arrived at the hospital I was 2 minutes apart and in full labor.  I don't think I could have handled the contractions and the drive.
Fawn80
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 8:48 AM
I drove. I hate my DH's driving! With my first, I woke up at 4:00 am with contractions. I drove to my OB, got checked, and they told me baby would come sometime that night. I drove BACK home (15 mins), spent 3 hours at home walking, walking, walking. We went to the hospital at 6 that night. The nurses had to break my water at around 7. My son came out healthy and screaming at 12:14 p.m.
With my daugher I was induced, so they also had to break my water.
My mom had to have her water broke with 3 out of 4 kids.
Sometimes your water will not break on it's own. Really, if you think TODAY IS THE DAY (or tonite is the nite) just keep in touch with your OB. Sometimes, even if you go to the hospital, they will send you back home to be more comfortable. Everyone is different, everyone has a different birth experience. Start your plan now. Talk to your dr. And don't worry. We've been doing this forever. I'd rather drive myself having contractions than have to squat in a field like they used too!!! LOL!
mommacat
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 11:01 AM
I would say don't drive yourself. Especially if this is your first because when you go into labor or your water breaks you have a flood of emotions you have never felt before and you may be too nervous or anxious to drive without endangering yourself or others. IF a friend can be there in 30 minutes then wait the 30 minutes. You will most likely have plenty of time however things can speed up in a hurry, it did with my first, and being behind the wheel of a car and all of a sudden getting a major contraction could be very dangerous!! (With my first I went from not too bad small contractions to big major ones with major pain just all of a sudden.) I always say err on the side of caution, if you feel you need to get to the hospital before a friend can get there then call the ambulance don't endanger you, the baby, and everyone else on the road!
yellowflower
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 11:13 AM
I think that is fine also, but the thing is, is your water might not brake you might start contractions and then later your water brakes right when you need to give birth.  Every birth is different, my water broke at 10:30 and I went 17 hours of contractions with only 3cm so I had to have a c-section so in that case yes, drive I didn't have contractions until 4 hours after my water broke, but every birth is different, if you start contractions drive to the hospital and tell them you had to come early since you had no one to take you.  Best of luck to you and your baby.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)