Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby shower for #2??

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 1:11 PM
  • 24 Replies
My friends all feel that its only called for to throw a baby shower for the frist child. I say, youre creating life damn it, throw a party for them all!!! How do you all feel about having baby showers or parties for subsequent babies?
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommacat
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 1:23 PM
I had a baby shower for my 2nd and hope to have one for my 3rd, especially since I got rid of almost everything after #2 outgrew it! I agree with you each child deserves a special day for them. It doesn't have to be the traditional type of shower if you have everything from the first but a diapers and food shower, everyone brings diapers and a frozen casserole for after the baby is born is a great alternative! Who can't use diapers and help with cooking!!!
nicoler
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 1:24 PM
I agree with you, but my friends are like your friends.  I think that this time we may have a little co-ed party at the end of the summer (the baby's due in Sept.).  If people want to bring a gift it's up to them.  I don't want to offend anyone by implying that they have to buy another shower gift, but my first child is not more worthy than my second!!
luvbnmom
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Quoting nicoler:

I agree with you, but my friends are like your friends.  I think that this time we may have a little co-ed party at the end of the summer (the baby's due in Sept.).  If people want to bring a gift it's up to them.  I don't want to offend anyone by implying that they have to buy another shower gift, but my first child is not more worthy than my second!!

thats what Id like to do...
jerri
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 1:30 PM

i only had a shower for my first, #4 is on the way,this one will be almost 11years apart from my last baby. i feel every baby should be welcomed and celebrated!!! that is what a shower is about,isn't it?if your babies are close together and you really don't need any thing, i say have a little welcomeing party for the little one,besides you can always use diapers,wipes ect.
Laughing
Fawn80
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 3:46 PM
Abso FREAKIN lutely you should have a shower for each!!!!!  My family doesn't like to have the showers until AFTER the baby is born, though. Really, for them, it's a chance for all the women to get together and pass the baby around. Our traditions are usually that only immediate family and very close friends visit for the first two weeks. They know this is a time for the new one to bond with mommy and daddy. So the shower after the baby comes is just a way for everyone to see the baby. It has also been tradition that ALL girls come - even children that are girls.
bccrt5
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 3:52 PM
absolutely aggree.  i am pg with my second, and would love to have another shower.  my family doesn't agree with it though. 
trinabean
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 4:27 PM
I did not get any type of shower with Luke, and I am not sure if I will get a shower with this one or not.

I say, new baby, new life...why should the second be any less important than the first when it comes to showers?
krielly
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 4:33 PM
If someone's willing to throw you a shower for your 2dn, 3rd, etc. then go for it. I think it's tacky to throw your own shower, for any occasion.

But if you're looking to really just celebrate the birth, you could wait until after your child is born so everyone can meet them.

Regardless, some friends may or may not come to a 2nd or 3rd baby shower if they're against the idea. Some feel that showers are more the parents looking for gifts than for the actual celebration of the child, that may be an issue with your friends.
sweetmoonflower
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 4:36 PM
I didn't have a baby shower for my second, but we have a friend that has already said she wants to throw us a baby shower for our third.
WeeScotLass
by on Mar. 6, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Quoting krielly:

If someone's willing to throw you a shower for your 2dn, 3rd, etc. then go for it. I think it's tacky to throw your own shower, for any occasion.

But if you're looking to really just celebrate the birth, you could wait until after your child is born so everyone can meet them.

Regardless, some friends may or may not come to a 2nd or 3rd baby shower if they're against the idea. Some feel that showers are more the parents looking for gifts than for the actual celebration of the child, that may be an issue with your friends.

I agree, we had a shower with my daughter and this time around it is a boy.  I was asked by my step mom if i was going to have a shower and i said if someone wants to throw one they are more than welcome to, i didnt feel comfortable asking someone to throw one for me but now i know im having one i am excited about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured