Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Percocet while pregnant question

Posted by on May. 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM
  • 24 Replies
Hi ladies..

I'm 24 weeks preggo and got precribed 5mg percocet yesterday morning for a painful tooth infection. The directions are to take 1-2 every four hours as needed. I try to use them sparingly so yesterday I took 1 total (in halves) and so far today I've taken 1 1/2 (took a half about 2 1/2 hours ago and it didn't do anything) and am feeling like I need another but it just seems like a lot to me and don't want to be hurting the little one. It seems like when I take one my baby moves less which scares me a bit...

any of you have experiences with percocet while preggo?
by on May. 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemy918
by on May. 4, 2008 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I took it while pregnant from five months on and my daughter is just fine   In my opinion the doctor wouldnt precribe something that is harmful for you OR your baby.......I does make the baby sleepy....but it doesnt harm them....

Photobucket

Proud mommy of a Formula fed, non co-sleeping, huggies wearing brown eyed baby girl

msxjustine
by on May. 4, 2008 at 7:01 PM
I tried taking tylenol.. believe me I am not a medicine person. Even when not preggo I have to be in some serious pain to take something... so imagine me WHEN I'm pregnant. But I was up all friday night into saturday morning crying because my mouth hurt so bad. I took a tylenol and it didnt have an ounce of affect.. cold and hot compresses don't either. If I don't take something for the pain I can't chew and it hurts to swallow and talk. (I'm on antibiotics too, and waiting for them to take affect just so you know).
britt_a
by on May. 4, 2008 at 7:02 PM
i agree. btw percocet is tylenol based.
Quoting lovemy918:

I took it while pregnant from five months on and my daughter is just fine   In my opinion the doctor wouldnt precribe something that is harmful for you OR your baby.......I does make the baby sleepy....but it doesnt harm them....

mommieto608
by on May. 4, 2008 at 9:04 PM
Good Lord, my doc said regular tylenol and I felt bad taking that.  Stop now.

Tara, mommy to my 5, # 6 due this summer!

jesslynn08
by on May. 4, 2008 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Shoot, a friend of mine was already precribed those to take ebfore she got pregnant. She took 4 a day. And when she got pregnant her doctor just told her to keep taking them. And her baby is beautiful. Nothing wrong with her. Plus, its pretty much just a stronger version of tylenol...
Mommyoftwo2584
by on May. 4, 2008 at 9:08 PM
Did the doctor know that you were preggo when you were prescribed it? If so then he wouldnt have given it to you if it would harm the baby.

Momof3n42b
by on May. 4, 2008 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
UUH I take vicodine now for my migraines and Im prego . Its just like percocet and so far nothing wrong. I thing that some of us overexagerrate here. The doctor wouldnt have given it to u.

Owner of

http://www.cafemom.com/group/issueswithothergroups

kimbosmom
by on May. 4, 2008 at 9:21 PM
ohh honey there aint nothing worse than toothaches!! i just had 2 teeth cut out cause of them. Atho i wasnt pregnant when I took the percacet or the other meds he prescribed me so i dont know of any side affects. i assume that if the dr knew you were preggers and still prescribed em to you then its ok!:) i am praying for you! Tamra
Phillipians 4:13- Tamra Dugan
lacei4
by on May. 4, 2008 at 9:45 PM
Someones never had a tooth infection! "stop now" is kinda ......ugh. Nevermind.

Its fine sweety.  Pain can raise your blood pressures to dangerously high levels.  Lack of sleep reduces your bodies immunity system and can make that a dangerous thing too.  Pain makes it hard to rest. 

So in saying that, I say take it for the sake of your pregnancy; and listen to your doctor. 

for future refrence, add http://www.safefetus.com/index.htm to your favorites, so you dont have to relie on other layman. 

I hope you feel better soon sweety.
Quoting mommieto608:

MandaJo111
by on May. 4, 2008 at 10:07 PM
I totally agree.  Thanks for the site.  It is great!
Quoting lacei4:

Someones never had a tooth infection! "stop now" is kinda ......ugh. Nevermind.

Its fine sweety.  Pain can raise your blood pressures to dangerously high levels.  Lack of sleep reduces your bodies immunity system and can make that a dangerous thing too.  Pain makes it hard to rest. 

So in saying that, I say take it for the sake of your pregnancy; and listen to your doctor. 

for future refrence, add http://www.safefetus.com/index.htm to your favorites, so you dont have to relie on other layman. 

I hope you feel better soon sweety.
Quoting mommieto608:

Madison Danielle due August 24, 2008

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured