Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Glucose testing!!!!

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

I had my 26 weeks doctor visit this morning and when I got there, they told me that they were going to go ahead and do my glucose testing!!! I've been told that it's best not to eat before the test, but I didn't know that I would be testing today. I thought that I would be testing at my next appointment. So, I failed the glucose test and I have to go back again on Friday for the 3 hour testing.
Has anyone else failed the first glucose test??? Is it common or do I have a chance at having diabeties????

by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
katymama1005
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 5:10 PM
I recently did mine, and I'm worried because I knew I was going to do it but I still ate a piece of pizza and a soda so we'll find out...usually the 3 hour test is a fasting test so that will give a more accurate reading when it comes to gestational diabetes, so don't worry too much until you have the results fromt he three hour test...good luck!!!
CrystalDunn
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 5:13 PM
They should've told you they were testing. I failed my glucose with my daughter. I did the 3 hour testing and passed. I did not have gestional diabetes but they watched me close anyway. No worries.
kadenlove
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:24 PM
I failed my first test too and was sent for the second test. I was told that you can eat with the first one, you just don't want to eat anything too high in sugar. But with the second 3 hour test, that one your supposed to be fasting...It's definately not fun to do that 3 hour test, but at least you will know once it's over. I was also really surprised to hear that I failed the first test and I also failed the second one. So, I did end up with gestational diabetes for my last pregnancy and my current pregnancy. But I have definately heard of people who failed the first and didn't the second, so hopefully that will be the case with you!!! Sometimes the hormones your body is producing creates problems with insulin in your body. I was able to control it with diet and exercise. You do go on a pretty strict low carb high protein diet, but to be honest with you, I felt 100 times better once I started the diet. Good Luck and let me know how your test goes, hopefully everything will be fine!
thurstensmom
by Member on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:37 PM
with my son I failed the first test and they called me in a panic with the results and made me call in to work the next day so I could go in for the 3 hour test the next morning, so I went and I passed with flying colors there was never even a mention of it through the rest of my pregnancy!
ShelbiG
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:42 PM
They should have told you about the test... who knows, if you didn't eat, you may have passed!  Crazy! 
Happymom1219
by on Jun. 21, 2007 at 12:58 PM
Hello,

I failed my first test too, I had juice and a piece of toast before I went in.  I then was scheduled for my 3 hour glucose test a couple of days later.  You do fast, then when you get there they give you a juice type drink and test your blood on the hour for 3 hours.  It will give them an accurate reading as to how your blood sugar is.  I failed that one as well, so I did have Gestational Diabetes.  It was a pain because I had to check my blood 4 times a day, and my last month of pregnancy, no matter how much I watched my sugars, I still had to go onto insulin!  It sucked, but you do what is best for your little baby!  My daughter came out very healthy and is doing just fine.  She is now 22 months old.   I am going in next week for my glucose testing (I'm 26 weeks pregnant with my second child) so we will se how that goes!!  If you are interesed my friend just told me about this other site called momtalk.com, and it has a really neat pregnancy guide that explains everything that you could possibly imagine about what you may be going through!  It also has some other neat things that are not on this site!   I go between the two sites because they are both so helpful!!  Just thought I would let you know!  Take care~

Happymom1219
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)