Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

can having sex while youre dilated make you dilate more?

Posted by on May. 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM
  • 16 Replies

i had my 35 week check up today and im 1 and 1/2 cm dilated, can sex make me dilate more?

by on May. 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ohiomamma
by on May. 19, 2008 at 4:33 PM
I would go with yes because lots of OB's say sex bring on labor.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
mommyziegler
by on May. 19, 2008 at 4:35 PM
only if your husband goes inside of you because it's the pitocin found in mens sperm that causes the cervix to dialate
Forget-me-not
by on May. 19, 2008 at 4:41 PM
Pitocin is a synthetic, the body does not in any way produce pitocin. As for having sex, there are hormones contained in the semen called prostaglandins. Your body also makes prostaglandins, but a little extra found in semen placed up against the cervix can help it soften even more, and may facilitate effacement and dilation. Plus, if you orgasm during sex, this can stimulate contractions which may or may not put an irritable uterus into a steady contraction pattern and possibly start labor
Quoting mommyziegler:

only if your husband goes inside of you because it's the pitocin found in mens sperm that causes the cervix to dialate

Eco friendly, non judging, homeschooling, anti-mainstream, crunchy mama to Hannah and Abby and wife to Michael

izaiahsmoma
by on May. 19, 2008 at 4:46 PM
No sex while dilated if you aren't far enough along to have a healthy baby, period.  Not only can it cause you to dilate more but it can also cause contractions.  Also, being dilated leaves you more open to infection, so penetration is not recommended, unless you are far enough along to have a healthy baby.

rissaax
by on May. 19, 2008 at 5:01 PM
yeah im 35 weeks, they said if i went into labor now i would be fine.
rissaax
by on May. 19, 2008 at 5:04 PM

come on ladies help me out! this has been the most uncomfortable pregnancy ever and im 1 cm dilated they told me at my doctors appt today, could sex bring on more dilation?

rissaax
by on May. 19, 2008 at 5:12 PM
guess not... haha
ewen13
by on May. 19, 2008 at 5:28 PM
If you are only 35 weeks that is very early to have a baby. Yeah the baby would be fine as in alive, but i would not recommend trying to go into labor. It is possible to be dilated like that for a long time. I had my baby the day I turned 37 weeks and he had a really hard time latching to BF. They develop so much in the last few weeks, I wouldn't try to interfer with that.
madisonsmommy12
by on May. 19, 2008 at 5:31 PM
All I can say is it worked for me! Have fun!!
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
9Photobucket offroadercute
Lahtaspirit
by on May. 19, 2008 at 5:31 PM
Sex will only help if your body is close to going into labor anyways. So I am sorry to say it may not. I was dilated to 2 at 27 weeks and at 33 I am now dilated to 4. My doctor says sex is still fine as long as you haven't lost your mucus plug and your water hasn't broke. Which I am sure it hasn't or else they would have you in to deliver your baby
Quoting rissaax:

come on ladies help me out! this has been the most uncomfortable pregnancy ever and im 1 cm dilated they told me at my doctors appt today, could sex bring on more dilation?

having a baby
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)