Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

For those of you that had contractions before your water broke...

Posted by on May. 20, 2008 at 10:25 PM
  • 23 Replies
I just had a couple questions...How did you know you were experiencing true labor and not back to back braxton hicks? And how many cm's were you when your water broke (or your doctor broke it)?

With my first my water broke first so I have no idea how labor works when contractions start first...
by on May. 20, 2008 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
n_ramirez
by on May. 20, 2008 at 10:27 PM

4:20am lost mucus plug

mild contractions, slight water leakage

8:00am water fully broke, contractions got 3 times worse

wouldn't know...

mommyqj
by on May. 20, 2008 at 10:27 PM
They started during the day just as little ones and then they got closer together adn stronger then they stayed at 20 min apart and even though i was walking around they still really hurt and I had to breath through them or at least focus on getting through them. My water broke at hospital but dr didn't break it it just happened. u will knwo when they are real the hurt a lot more and you can't just walk through them
ewen13
by on May. 20, 2008 at 10:31 PM
For me, the contractions felt like menstrual cramps. Braxton Hicks just feels like tightening. With my 1st, I don't know how dilated I was. It broke in a restaurant. I had to drive an hour to my home. By the time my MW got there to check me I was a 7-8. With my second, my water broke first. Having had contractions before and after the water breaks, there is no way in HELL that I would ever allow somebody to break my water. It was immediately so much more intense after it broke. I would love to have a labor where my water breaks as the baby is coming out. That is my dream labor!
wulfbourne
by on May. 20, 2008 at 10:35 PM
When your contractions are less then 5 minutes apart and you can't walk or talk through them, that's when you know its labor. That's what my midwife always told me. She broke my water, so I don't know when it would have broke on my own. I do know that despite what they show in movies and such only 10% of women have their water break before the contractions really start. Some women don't even break until they start pushing. If you're having a hospital birth it's probably better that way, because once your water breaks the put you on a clock. If your baby isn't out within X hours you get a section. It varies from hospital to hospital. Some it's as little as 10 hours, some as long as 24.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

tmonda
by on May. 20, 2008 at 10:55 PM
It might be different for you as mine weren't anything like a couple of the pp's said.

Mine have been a mixture of tightening and menstrual cramp feelings. However, I have always been able to walk and talk through them. Which got me comments from the nurses that I couldn't really be in labor. But I was, see birth stories below. With my first I wasn't sure they were true contractions or I would have called the dr sooner. With my second I knew what I had already experienced so I was telling/calling dr sooner and he was more cautious the closer we got to 30 weeks.

This pg I have been having contractions (real ones) since about 20 weeks. At 30 weeks they did an exam and I was 3 cm dilated, 100% effaced and engaged. I was put on bedrest at home and then finally just spent a week in the hospital because there was question over whether my water at broke or not. I had a high leak and was kept. At 4 am on Monday morning I had a huge gush (I consider thats when it broke), assumed to still be 3 cm, about 45 minutes to 1 hour later I was at 7 cm. About another 30 minutes and his head was in the birth canal and at 6:17 am he was born. I was 33 weeks 3 days.

With my first I had been having contractions (thought to be bh because they were described as a tightening) for 3 days, actually was 4 cm dilated, 100% effaced on Monday at 10 am, water broke around midnight and my daughter was born at 2:29 am Tuesday morning at 30 weeks.

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

ieatfortwo
by on May. 20, 2008 at 10:56 PM
I knew i was in true labor cause the pain was really bad and i was having trouble breathing through it...they were also coming in closer intervals, and didnt stop.

By the time i got to the hospital i was 4cm and they broke my water for me...eww that parts gross lol
Mama_2_Savannah
by on May. 20, 2008 at 10:59 PM
i had contractions for about 2 days. i was 3 cm dilated when my water broke.

Mommy to Savannah Rae-Alexis born 4-20-08 at 9:07 a.m. 7 lbs 7.75 oz 20.75 inches long. Fiance to James Samuel.

doulala
by Emerald Member on May. 20, 2008 at 10:59 PM
Over a few weeks my BH got progressively stronger. One day, at 41 weeks, they started getting regular, consistant, and were much more intense (more of the same/"BH Plus" hehe). My water broke (on it's own) as the head was coming out (so 10 cm, I suppose, LOL!). A nice contrast to the previous with my 1st: I had no contractions after water broke (like you), and gushed for 8 days before delivering.

Doulas mother the mother.

Every woman who wants a doula should have one!

If you don't know your options you don't have any.

MomCarter
by on May. 20, 2008 at 11:02 PM
I had contractions for about half a month to a month before they decided to break my water, I was 2 cm and 40 % efaced before they broke it for induction. . . was not fun having them that long and not getting to see my little boy till about 37 weeks pg

The Carters

Come join my group Chunky Monkeys of 2007

j.ortiz
by on May. 20, 2008 at 11:05 PM
my contractions started at 10:30pm and were about 10 minutes apart i thought they were braxton hicks b/c they didnt rally hurt but then they got to be 5 mins apart... i went to the hospital at 6am and was 6cm dialated... then they broke my water
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN