Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

hello and labor /shiver

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2007 at 3:15 PM
  • 13 Replies
hi everyone! name is Susan and im 29, married, and having our first. one thing that does freak me out is going into labor. my mother in law is very against me having an epidural but it's my decision and i want to know different ways of coping and how other mommies took it
by on Mar. 9, 2007 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soon2bmommyof2
by on Mar. 9, 2007 at 3:26 PM

with my 1st i did not have a choice but to have an epidural, i had a c-section!! i was terrified of the epidural, i think i was more scared of that than the actual c-section ok but i did not even feel it!!! and wow it really made EVERTHING numb!!! the nurse had me leaning toward her and she put her forhead on my forhead and said ok the dr is about to do it when i tell you to laydown just laydown i said ok, thru many tears i was terrified, the next thing i knw shes telling me to hurry up and lay down and im telling her he didnt do it yet!!! they showed me the needle and ended up having to lay me down because within seconds i could not move!!! i am pregnant now and am going for a vbac, i am not planning on having an epidural. but i agree with you that is entirely your chioce!! if thats what you think is best for you and your baby do not let your mother in law influence you!!

Fawn80
by on Mar. 9, 2007 at 3:29 PM
If you think you cannot deal with the pain you need to talk to your doctor. With my first, all I had was demerol. With my second, I was induced and OH MY. I had swore up and down I wasn't going to have an epidural - just the thought of someone going near my spine with a needle freaked me out. Well, 3 hours before my daughter was born I was BEGGING for it. And my own mother wouldn't come into the room until I was calm after they administered it! Then she stayed for the birth!
I have already requested one for this baby - we are well on our way to being 1/2 to 1 1/2 lbs larger than my other two - OY!

Going through Lamaze opened a lot of doors to me that I didn't know was available. Not only do they teach you ways to just deal with the pain, they also give you lots of options for medication. Some people seem to think that when you take pain meds it dopes up the baby. Some don't. Best bet - talk to your doc. Get his/her stance on it. Ask what the majority of his/her patients do. Most of all, do what's comfortable for you.
And, MIL doesn't exactly have to know that you are having it done. You can very well keep it between you and the doctors!
trinabean
by on Mar. 9, 2007 at 3:30 PM
I had an epidural with Luke. We held off to the very last minute, then my husband made them give me one. Honestly, I did not feel them do it at all. I was wary of it, but it went off without a hitch and made things SOO much more bearable. I will have one with this baby too, especially now that I know what to expect. I also had no bad side effects from the procedure (although I know some do), and I was up walking around and feeling fine right after Luke was born.
diaperqueen
by on Mar. 9, 2007 at 3:33 PM
It's your body so do what you want. Your going to be the one in labor so just ignore what everyone else says. I myself only took 2 doses of staydol (not how it's spelled but how it sounds) and that was good enough for me. I would have not taken anything but I went into labor in the middle of the night and I hadn't had any sleep so I was exhausted and my pain tolerance was a little lower. Do what you feel is best and just tell everyone it's your body so you'll do what you want.
Becca87
by on Mar. 9, 2007 at 3:39 PM
I'm pregnant with my first and I don't want an epidural. I just want to try to do it without one. I know someone who had a c section and an epidural and she said she hated it because she doesn't remember the first time she held her baby.
gacgbaker
by on Mar. 9, 2007 at 3:44 PM
When I had my first I went in very unsure if I wanted an epideral, the nurse told me that it was my first, and I should take it, and next time I will know more of what to expect and can decide later. You really need to make this choice for you... stressing over what your mother in law wants isn't going to help. Maybe you take it this time, and realize that next time you can do it without it, or maybe you will find that it is something that you are greatful to have and will take it again! Hang in there and make this choice for you and baby, not for your mother in law.
SusieQAllen
by on Mar. 9, 2007 at 3:53 PM
thanks for all the helpful posts. my pain tolerance is low so i probably will go ahead and get it this time :) really i don't want her in the room when i deliver. just me and hubby. im just hoping my labor isnt as bad as my m/s has been. 19 weeks and worse than ever :(
KrazyGothGirl
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 1:03 AM
You're definately not the only one.... I'm going to have my first baby April 30. Labor is one of my all time fears. It's worse cause I don't know what to expect. The only thing I ever hear is it hurts a whole lot. My sis even told me the first thing she did was scream the sec they broke her water. That doesn't help either. I just think about the end when I get to see and hold my baby boy. People also tell me the wonders of an epidural. I'm still deciding on that, there's also draww backs to it... like not being able to walk around or even pee on your own.
rotc72002
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 1:07 AM
i had an epidural im a baby when it comes to pain. it felt like i was dying when i was in labour, its terrible but after i recieved the epidural i felt way better but i ended up with a c section after 7 hours of labour & i was @t 7cm
TawnyR
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 1:13 AM
Talk to a Doula or Midwife. They would know how to help you best. Some insurance companies pay for them too. in the end it is your choice. Don't let anyone bully you. With my first I had an epidural and it worked great. My second It was great until I was in active labor. It just couldn't keep up with how fast I was progressing. We'll see with this one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN