Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

hello and labor /shiver

Posted by   + Show Post
hi everyone! name is Susan and im 29, married, and having our first. one thing that does freak me out is going into labor. my mother in law is very against me having an epidural but it's my decision and i want to know different ways of coping and how other mommies took it
by on Mar. 9, 2007 at 3:15 PM
Replies (11-13):
SusieQAllen
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 3:16 PM
im thinking about just waiting to see how much it hurts then deciding
katem83
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 3:55 PM

I have been through one labor and delivery before and now I am expecting my second one. I was very happy I had an epidural and for me that was the right choice. Having the Epidural itself was scary too, but it lasts for a very short time and the relief you get is much better in my mind than enduring all the pain. There is always going to be drawbacks to everything. There is potential side effects to it but that goes for pretty much EVERYTHING kwim? Main thing is you have to be comfortable with it. If you feel like you can handle pain well and want to try going all natural I actually would recommend at least trying that. You can always ask for the Epi if you feel you can't handle it. One positive thing with the Epi is in many cases it relaxes you so that your body can work its thing but you are "oblivious" to it. Pain, especially labor pain can tense you up so you can end up working against what labor is trying to achieve. I don't know if that makes sense at all. It can make pushing harder though because you are numb down there. I just pretended I had the biggest poop in existence and that worked for me. Not everybody is good at visualizing though. They can turn the Epi down so you regain some feeling.
Bottomline.. don't let anybody pressure you to do anything you don't want to do. It is your baby, your pain, YOUR BIRTH! Not theirs! Stay educated on your choices, talk to you OB/GYN or Midwife about things that concern you and even make up a birth plan. Thats what I would do!

Kate
harleymama30
by on Mar. 13, 2007 at 4:03 PM
Had two babies without one with.  Its your decision. Hubby and i decided that if we have another there will be no epidural for me again.  I hated it for the fact that i didn't have control over my body and i couldn't tell if the baby was ok or not. for pain wise it was GREAT.  Get your labor and delivery nurses involved majorit of them nowadays are DOULAs and have some great ways to help with pain etc. another option is to see if a massage therapist can show you and your husband different techniques to help relieve the pressure and pressure points to counter act the pain.  As for you MIL, none of her business. Yes there are side effects, as with anything anymore.  You get to choose who you have in the room with you and if she is not on the list then she dont get to go in...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN