Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

trip to the ER

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2007 at 1:32 PM
  • 6 Replies
My 2 1/2 year old was playing in our living room last night and fell into our fireplace hearth. He smacked his mouth/chin area on the wooden edge and shoved his front 4 teeth back into his mouth. Surprisingly they are not loose, but that means the whole top part of his mouth is messed up. He also bit through his bottom lip and has tons of little bruises. The dr's couldn't do a whole lot and so we get to go see our dentist tomorrow. I am so worried about him and his speech as been affected by this due to the new placement of his teeth and swollen mouth.
He can only eat soft, mushy stuff....does anyone have any ideas for food/meals?
Has anyone else been through something similar and have any words of advice for a nervous mommy?
 I'm also 10 weeks pregnant and have had major diarreah since the moment this happened. I have the worst nerves! I'm trying to replinish my fluids...do you think I should let my dr. know even though it's stopped?
Thanks
by on Mar. 11, 2007 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sweetmoonflower
by on Mar. 11, 2007 at 3:21 PM

I don't think there's anything to little to bring up to the dr. Maybe give him/her a call tomarrow when they open and let them know what's going on and how you are feeling.

mommacat
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 11:40 AM

I'm so sorry you are having so many problems!! I would definately call your doctor about your problems and as far as meals for the little guy all I can think of is Spaghetti O's and mashed potatoes!! Keep us posted on what the Dentist says!!
mommyof2boys22
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 2:26 PM
That happend to my brother of course this was like twenty years ago. But he was dancing and fell and hit his mouth on the coffee table and knocked two of his teeth up into his gums. They saved his teeth and pulled him back out to where they should be. He never had any speech problems just when he got older I think he ended up having the teeth replaced because they got discolored a little bit because of what happend. But no speech problems for him.
BUFF
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 2:46 PM

(((((((hugs))))))).......I hope your feeling better by now. I would suggest that you definately tell the dr about the diarhhea. just to be safe. make sure you drink plenty of fluids!!
   As for the food. keep it simple as can be these first few days. That poor little mouth is gonna be sore. Spaghettio O's, Jello, Mashed Potatoes, Apple Sauce. Maybe even some ice pops to help with the pain and swelling. Oh and of course, Ice Cream.
   My neice had a very similar experience some 30 yrs ago or so. She was brushing her teeth using a stool in front of the sink and slipped.  Her front teeth were smashed back quite a bit but she never had a speech problem from it. They did become discolored but she made ok with them.
   Good luck sweety and keep us posted !!!!!!!!
liltymesmom
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Got the update from the dentist today. One of my son's tooth (the front one) got shoved up into his gums which more than likely damaged the root. We go back to the dentist in 2 weeks to see whether they need to extract that tooth or not (dentist said more than likely he'll lose it). The dentist also said that it's a good thing these are baby teeth, but we will have to wait and see if any damage was done to the permanent teeth as he gets older. He'll also more than likely need braces (when he's older) to pull his teeth forward to be in the correct position again. The dentist said losing just 1 tooth shouldn't affect his speech too much and that kids are resiliant and rubbery...they bounce back better than adults do! He's going to be ok, just not have that pretty, white smile anymore. I guess I can deal with that...things could be worse. Thanks for everyone's posts!

(oh and the timing couldn't be any suckier...he's a ring bearer in a wedding in a couple of weeks!)

gacgbaker
by on Mar. 12, 2007 at 5:58 PM
So glad that he is doing better and the dentist didn't have too bad of news for you! So sorry this is happening!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)