Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Baby Shower or Not to Baby Shower

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2007 at 8:35 PM
  • 8 Replies
I am not your typical age mom-to-be.  My husband makes really good money.  God has blessed us immensely.  We have waited sooooooo long for this baby, we are prepared financially.  I do not want a baby shower at all.  I have always disliked showers.  They are too cutesy, too corny, and too long.  Under the pressure from church, I have agreed to a come & go couples shower after the baby is born.  But now my family and my husband's family want to have  showers too, with little Winnie the Pooh favors and all.  (I am way too old to have Winnie the Pooh a guest at my shower).  I would accept having an Open House Couples Meet & Greet the Baby with "no gifts" on the invite.  

I know others love us and are excited about this new life too.  And I do not want to be rude or offensive.  I am old enough to know that a lot of things we think we need we don't and I don't want to get a whole bunch of useless baby stuff.  I don't know about you but I took a bath in the sink, I slept in a crib w/o a matching changing table, I didn't have a bouncy seat, a play disk, a swing, etc....I had a walker and a playpen and was very well adjusted and loved. 

Am I wrong to ask for this?
by on Jul. 4, 2007 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
brandnumom07
by on Jul. 4, 2007 at 8:44 PM
no you are not wrong to not want a shower. i didnt want one either because im not really close with either side of my family, but needed one because im not financially secure at the moment and now glad that i had one because everything i got was a true blessing. but you on the other hand dont need one, and what you want should be of the most importance. make yourself happy, because making others happy is impossible.
GinsAMom
by on Jul. 4, 2007 at 9:13 PM
What about more of a BBQ kind of thing? So you can chit chat with your friends and family and the men could play horse shoes, or volley ball, or what ever yall are into. Our church has things like that a lot and its tons of fun. A ton more relaxing and you dont have the overly "cutesy" factor.

or you could have somthing like where people bring the baby books or diapers or somthing like that.

We had a friend that had a little shower that was a tea party and everyone brought her a tea cup and the baby a book. I LOVED that one. :-)

LilMomma83
by on Jul. 4, 2007 at 9:45 PM
I didnt have a shower either, and i still have everything I need, yeah i paid for most of, me and my momma.. but i didnt see having one when I would have to invite people who didnt get along since it is such a messed up situtation. So i didnt have one.. no biggie. everyone is entilited to do their own thing..

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

texmexmom
by on Jul. 4, 2007 at 9:54 PM
why not have the showers but clearly state plz no gifts if they feel inclined to bring them briing only diapers or wipes that will be donated to a crisis pregnancy center , perhaps a family in the church or some other good cause!!
livelovelaugh1
by on Jul. 5, 2007 at 1:21 AM
I feel the same way im going on the 37 weeks and my mil wants to throw me one and i do NOT want one thats just not my thing and i have the crib,bouncer,tub,breastpump,etc. and everything i need but im a teen and im NOT finacially stable so my boyfriend told me that a couple hours and free gifts are not going to kill me so july 15 will be the shower but No your not wrong for that your entitled to have it that way for YOUR shower and im pretty sure if you ask for no gifts your fam and friends will respect that and im pretty sure theyll be okay with the fact theyre not spending money.=)
dwilmoth
by on Jul. 5, 2007 at 8:07 PM
I got a lot of supportive responses.  Thank you ladies so much for your help, support, and insight. xoxo.  God Bless

NEWMOM0807
by on Jul. 5, 2007 at 8:13 PM
No, I don't think you're wrong. But at the same time, those people love you, and want to be there for you and give you nice gifts for your baby ya know? Everything people give you helps! Trust me..I never knew how much stuff a baby needs and how much it all costs until now..It's crazy!! You could plan your OWN shower if you don't like the things others are wanting to do..I had a friend who planned the whole thing and she loved it..that way you can be sure things get done your way with nothing you don't want happening! You could have a small get together in a restruant, eat a nice meal, and let them give you gifts. I'm telling you, You will be thankful..It takes some of the pressure off of you when it's last minute and you look around and go "OMG!I need this still, that,etc,etc" Good luck!!
whattamom
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 4:20 PM
What about a mom to be day?  Get together with a small group of friends and go to a spa or spend the weekend at a bed and breakfast.  It's a great time to get together and talk about the upcoming baby and honor your lil one without all the cutsy stuff.  It is also something you wont be able to do for a while after your lil one arrives.  If you want to do it at home you can hire someone to come in and give massages and facials etc....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured