Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hospital vs. birth center

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 6:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
i had my 2 girls in the hospital and the experinces were mostly good  (how could they not be i have two beautiful children). my ob happened to be the one on call both times and she's great, but the nurse the second time around made several mistakes, including one that kept us in the hospital an extra day. about 2 years ago a new birth center opened in our town, i'm very interested and would like to go the drug free route with this new baby. i love my ob, but if i go through the hospital there is always a chance that she won't be the one to deliver my baby. does anyone have any thoughts?
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
youngmum1234
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 7:06 PM
well i had my first son in a hospital too ....but i want to have my second one at home...which isnt really a birth center but ne how....my hospital stay was good...but i just want my family and a midwife there the next time.....im a birthing center it is the same thing...you will have one or two midwifes with you...more then likely the ones that were doing your prenatal..and then you can have all your family there and not have some one you dont know delivering your baby....plus there are many more different birthing options for you at a birthing center...like giving birth under water or sitting up..and you have more of a say in your care...well good luck to you and congratz
GinsAMom
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 2:24 PM
I am delivering at a birth center and will be having a water birth. I had an aweful experience at the hospital with my son and if I can help it, I will never have another birth at a hospital.

I love the idea of a birth center because I have much more control over what I want and what I say goes. I can have as many people as I want there, video it with out a hassel, have somone to take pictures, I dont have to worry about somone trying to push drugs on me, its MUCH more relaxed, I wont be strapped to a bed, I have freedom to birth MY way, and I can go HOME!

I just dont feel that birth is a medical ordeal, but a natural process that your body knows how to handle. Dont get me wrong, I know there are situations where you need that medical intervention- as I did last ime- but for the most part, your body can handle it and knows what its doing.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2007 at 6:09 PM
Mine were both born at a birth center. I went through all the scenarios & questions with the midwives and learned that they can handle all situations and complications right there except surgery. There are hospitals nearby IF I should need one, and with their training and experience, they can tell with plenty of time IF I should need to transfer to the hospital. It made me feel VERY confident!! The setting was like a Bed & Breakfast--they even made us homecooked meals! AND there are a zillion reasons to choose Midwives, of course! (*My journal has a photo of our waterbirth, if you wanna see it.) I also felt like the Midwives wanted me to feel at home and comfortable, allowing me a lot of freedom around the building and of course, freedom in labor/birth!! And freedom to learn-they empowered me to learn about birth, ask TONS of questions (and get a lot of evidence-based information). The doctors seem to keep patients in "the dark" not teaching & empowering them. (**Knowledge IS power, right??) And now, as a birth doula (since my own births), I have been to several hospital births and have NEVER seen a single mama treated NEARLY as wonderful as the Birth Center Midwives treated me~and others I'd seen. (THIS subject!! I could go on forever........!!) LOL!
2manygirls
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 11:01 PM
Thanks for your posts, i'm really looking forward to touring the birth center next week and meeting the midwives. now the problem is convincing my husband, as i said we both love my ob, if i knew she would be the one to deliver i'd  might not even be concidering the birth center, well if i could be promised a nurse who was not just off her trainning that would be nice too.

Nikk_Partain07
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 11:07 PM
Well with both my boys i had great hospital experiences.. I want to have no meds this time.. I was thinkin bout birthing center but i cant.. there isnt one here lmao..  So im hopin to be able to do this with no meds.. I had to epidurals with my boys.. so im hopin to not doin that...  I think it all has to do with what u need in ur birthing experiences
2manygirls
by on Jul. 9, 2007 at 12:19 AM
i tried to go drug free last time, in the hospital, but the experince was not the best, the baby was face up so my back labor was terrible and the nurse could not find a vein for the iv she tried like 5 times, blood was running down my arm ( sorry), after the 3rd try i was out of my relaxed mode and couldn't relax again after that so i gave up. plus the whole reason we hurried to the hospital was so i could get antibiotics (i had tested positive for group b strep) and the nurse forgot to give them to me. my husband said to me today , well obviously you needed the epidural, i told him i thought the setting had alot to do with that , it brought on stress. the more i think about it my hospital experinces left something to be desired

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured