Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Is sudden frequent bowel movements a sign of labor?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am 37 wks &5days pregant. I have lost my mucus plug,dilated 3cm and 75%effaced. My dr says baby is all the way down and thinks it is possible to go into labor b4 this wknd ends. Waking up in the middle of the night for the past 3 days with cramping from feeling of bowel movement almost like a diarrhea feeling. I end up going but it is only a little. This happens through out the day also even when diarrhea as being a sign from some but from others it is not true. Has anyone had expereience w/this and it was real signs of labor other than the norm signs of labor?

by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vonzo
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 12:35 PM
With my dd I woke up in the night and had diarrhea.  The crampings continued but the pooping stopped then my water started leaking so I knew I was in labour. This time around I;ve had diarreah on and off for the last 3 weeks and so far no real labour :o(  Like everything in pregnancy it CAN mean labour is iminent but also can mean your body is just gearin itself up and getting ready but you may not actually go into labour for days or weeks.  2 weeks ago I was told I would give birth any day .... sadly I'm still here and still very pregnant. Don't want to dishearten you but I know how frustrating it is!

Good Luck, hope it is a good sign for you!

MRS.RODARTE
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 12:40 PM
thanks i appreciate anything you may have to say. I hope so too have been loosing lots of sleep.
eshoe4u
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 12:41 PM
i'm 37 weeks and i've been getting that same thing.  it's pretty annoying.  i feel for ya hun.
doulala
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2008 at 1:22 PM
As the body prepares for birth, some hormones increase, others decrease...    The hormones also help make the bowels loose.  This can mean that a woman is in her third trimester and can birth in the next couple of months, or that she could birth in the next weeks, or even days. 

Yes, I had these signs at the end of pregnancy with my babies, too. 

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

Barbara Katz Rothman

"When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change."

-Marie F. Mongan

BaByMaMa27
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I had this all the way from 35 weeks until i delivered at 39 weeks. Everyones body is different though. It could be a sign for you! Good luck. Keep us updated!!!

A mark for every breath you took, every blink, every sleepy yawn. One for every time you sucked your thumb, waved hello, closed your eyes and slept in the most perfect darkness. One for every time you had the hiccups. one for every dream you dreamed within me. It isn't very pretty. Some may even think its ugly. That's ok. it was your home. It held you until my arms could, and for that i will always find something beautiful in it.

cjsmom0206
by on Jul. 19, 2008 at 1:58 PM
I got it the day before I went in....and no pooping in the delivery room! WOOHOO!!
mustangracr
by on Aug. 15, 2008 at 12:13 AM

At 35 and half weeks the diarreha started...and as of today the loose bowel movements and diarreha has not ended...I am 37 weeks tomorrow...so I am hoping this baby comes out soon b/c my bum is SORE

pregnancy week by week

"Never Have Regrets b/c what you did at the time is what you wanted" Lynz ((www.myspace.com/supedupjeep))

musicpisces
by on Aug. 15, 2008 at 3:02 AM

It's actually a very common sign that labor is imminent.  For the last week or so, I've had, like, 3 BMs a day!  It's your body clearing itself out to prepare for labor.  You're getting close!

pregnancy calendar
renatajewel
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 8:14 PM

i am 36 weeks and 4 days and i literally have to go between 4-6 times a day...its usually just a little but i HAVE to go. i am sincerely hoping this means i am getting ready to give birth but i haven't dialated at all :( i'm getting a little discouraged.

Raeann11
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM

It is part of your body with this baby getting ready. No one could tell when labor is coming, even your Dr. Just enjoy your last few days or weeks of being pregnant.

With my last I had everything under the sun going on for 5-8 weeks. She also was my only one that went passed her estimated due date.

Just sit back and enjoy your last few days or weeks of pregnancy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)