Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

question.....please answer....

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 9:54 PM
  • 15 Replies
ok so i just bought some castor oil and it  is a 2 fl oz bottle  how much should i take so that i can possibly start labor soon??? and any advice on this matter would be appriciated...this is my first pregnancy and i am cluless....also i am 38 wks on tues...thanks
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamasbabys
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 9:58 PM
it might be a good idea to go your full 40 weeks and let your body do what it has to do. THATS WHY YOUR PREGNENT FOR 40 WEEKS!!! your body will do what it has to WHEN ITS READY not when your ready!!
fulqvr
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 10:02 PM
The previous poster is correct. If you take this before things are ready, you are going to make yourself miserable, and possibly cause distress for your baby. I would recommend waiting until at least 41 weeks and a couple of days. This is actually the average for first time moms. If you are still pregnant a few days short of 42 weeks, or if your care provider is really pushing you hard for an induction, then you could try the castor oil. You would need to take the entire bottle. Most women find that mixing it with orange juice helps with the taste. But remember, before 40 weeks, you are not likely to be able to get anything going except a serious case of the runs.

Lsmom
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 10:05 PM
I agree with the other reply...wait until your due date has come and gone before even thinking about trying to induce your own labor. Sometimes doctors are nor on with due dates and could be off a week or more. The last thing you want is to bring your little one into the wolrd before he or she is ready. I know the last few weeks of pregnancy are toturous, but your almost there. The longer your baby is in your womb, the better for your little one. I was told that even a day can make a huge difference!

NHNREMTB
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 10:08 PM

The best advice would be - don't take that crap.

Think of your body as your babies safe keeper.

I am sure any physician would also strongly urge you not to put toxins in your body as an attempt to induce something your body and that baby will progress when it is ready for it to happen. Pregnancy is only 40 weeks and believe it or not - you may even miss all the feelings, emotions, and sensations, you have while pregnant - after the baby comes.

Best of luck.

fulqvr
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Quoting NHNREMTB:

I am sure any physician would also strongly urge you not to put toxins in your body as an attempt to induce something your body and that baby will progress when it is ready for it to happen.

Actually, I know many physicians DO encourage women to put toxins in their body to induce something that her body or baby may not be ready for. It's called Pitocin. However, I strongly agree with you that she should just let it happen in its own time.

LilMomma83
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 11:29 PM
first off take it if you want to, its your choice. secondly I read that you take 2 tablespoons with some kinda of pop (soda), if you stir it fast enough it will attached to the bubbles and make it easier to go down. I have used it once because im miserable and super depressed and i want this pregnancy to be over already, and it did NOTHING, no upset stomach, no puking, no sitting on the toilet all night, no contractions, no nothing. Everyone is different. But if your body isnt ready to go into labor it wont work, but you never know you could be right there and just by doing it jump starting the labor. So make it your choice if you want to take it or not.. And BTW it is not a TOXIN. There are people who take it on a regular basis to regulate their digestive systems, and using before your due date actually decreases the chances of your baby having a bowl movement in the womb. I have done a TON of research on this subject.. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

NHNREMTB
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 11:41 PM

Bad wording on my behalf. Wasn't trying to be negative or harsh.

But I still wouldn't recommend anyone do something like - induce labor - without first at least consulting with the OB .. ya know? I think we're on the same page - just came out wrong.

Have a great evening.

lizzygurl_81
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Quoting LilMomma83:

first off take it if you want to, its your choice. secondly I read that you take 2 tablespoons with some kinda of pop (soda), if you stir it fast enough it will attached to the bubbles and make it easier to go down. I have used it once because im miserable and super depressed and i want this pregnancy to be over already, and it did NOTHING, no upset stomach, no puking, no sitting on the toilet all night, no contractions, no nothing. Everyone is different. But if your body isnt ready to go into labor it wont work, but you never know you could be right there and just by doing it jump starting the labor. So make it your choice if you want to take it or not.. And BTW it is not a TOXIN. There are people who take it on a regular basis to regulate their digestive systems, and using before your due date actually decreases the chances of your baby having a bowl movement in the womb. I have done a TON of research on this subject.. Good luck and let me know how it works out for you

yah it has done nothing so far

lizzygurl_81
by on Jul. 9, 2007 at 1:46 AM
i am having contractions we will see if they get worse!!!!!:)
MrsLaher
by on Jul. 9, 2007 at 1:55 AM
If you take castor oil it can cause your baby to have a BM inside the womb called meconium which can cause meconium aspiration syndrome and make it difficult for baby to breath.  Be careful doing anything unnatural to jumpstart labor.  My first 2 children came almost a week after my due date, one of which was induced.  If anything, try sex, nipple stimlation and whatever else your OB recommends.  Better to be safe than sorry, I always say. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)