Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

do you have to be dilated for your water to break?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:08 PM
  • 14 Replies

How many cm do you have to be dilated before your water will break?

pregnancy calendar
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jade812
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:11 PM

you don't have to be dilated at all. when I was 22 weeks pregnant I had a very small tear in my bag of water that was making my leak very slowly luckily the bag of water is living tissue and it healed with 5 weeks of complete bed rest. not all bags break with a giant gush.

Natural Birthing,Breastfeeding,Co-Sleeping,Cloth Diapering,EARTH MAMA

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

pregnant                    

mommyofone123
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:11 PM

i was fully dilated when the dr broke my water. i was wondering when this "normally" happens though so i'll bump ya!  :) 

jridgill
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:12 PM

I was only dilated to 2 when mine broke but I don't think you have to be dilated at all.

I was 37 weeks and I went to pee and knew I didn't pee. It leaked more and more as time passed. Within an hour it was coming all down my leg as I walked into the hospital. There was no mistaken it.

deederz
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:13 PM

BUMP i would also like to know...I am currently 3cm and can be stretched to 4....so thats a darn good question...Also when do you TYPICALLY loose your mucus plug???

lovetoride0687
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:16 PM

i was dialated to 2 the day before my water broke they didnt check me when i went to the hospital for awhile so i dont know exactly how far i was when it broke

Jade812
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:19 PM

you can lose your plug anytime in the 3rd trimester. sometimes pregnancy hormones are responsible for alot of things like loosening of the joints (to allow the pelvis to open for pushing) and muscles the hormone also keeps the cervix soft works a little too well and the cervix may let the plug go. the plug can also grow back when its lost too early.

Quoting deederz:

BUMP i would also like to know...I am currently 3cm and can be stretched to 4....so thats a darn good question...Also when do you TYPICALLY loose your mucus plug???

Natural Birthing,Breastfeeding,Co-Sleeping,Cloth Diapering,EARTH MAMA

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

pregnant                    

Blakesmom1230
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:23 PM

There is no exact answer for this. With my son, I was induced and they broke my water for me around 6cm. But you do not have to be dilated at all for your water to break. My sisters and my cousins both broke before they had even began to dilate. My best friends water broke when she was at a 1 cm and my other friends broke naturally at a 5 cm. ONE of my friends water never broke and her baby was actually born inside the bag of water- they called it a caul birth or something, it was harmless and the doctor said it brought "good luck", lol. That is rare though. She is the only person I know that has ever had that happen even though I have heard of it other times.

Lilypie Expecting a baby TickerLilypie 5th Birthday TickerDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Blakesmom1230
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Quoting deederz:

There is no exact answer for that either. I lost my mucus plug 4 weeks before I had my son and stayed at a 3 for a few weeks until they finally induced me. They say losing your mucus plug is not a sing of impending labor but some people do lose it the day before sometimes.

Lilypie Expecting a baby TickerLilypie 5th Birthday TickerDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

southernbelle08
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Wow! That's amazing! Kinda cool. I guess it's true that EVERY birth is diffrent!

Quoting Blakesmom1230:

There is no exact answer for this. With my son, I was induced and they broke my water for me around 6cm. But you do not have to be dilated at all for your water to break. My sisters and my cousins both broke before they had even began to dilate. My best friends water broke when she was at a 1 cm and my other friends broke naturally at a 5 cm. ONE of my friends water never broke and her baby was actually born inside the bag of water- they called it a caul birth or something, it was harmless and the doctor said it brought "good luck", lol. That is rare though. She is the only person I know that has ever had that happen even though I have heard of it other times.

Caden's Mommy
">pregnancy
artsymommy
by on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:31 PM

My water broke before I dialated or had any contractions. By that night I had contracted 2-3 minutes apart and never did dialate until getting pitocin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)