Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Acid Reflux

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:52 PM
  • 7 Replies

When not preg I take Nexium.  I have bad acid reflux.  It runs horribly in my family.  My g-father had to have his esophagus removed it was so bad.  Anywho, it's not been too bad these 1st 4 months but yesterday and today I am dying.  It hurts to take a deep breath.  My chest and throat are in constant pain.  My voice is going hoarse.  Tums don't work for this.  Anyone know what might help, that we preg ladies can take?  I am miserable.   

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jessicazpjp
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 6:09 PM
Tums???
dwilmoth
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 12:44 AM
Chronic acid reflux is not indigestion.  Tums do nothing.  Infact one pharmacist told me that the high calcium in Tums can make it worse. 
amandem
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 10:03 AM
You can take Zantac that's what I was given by my doctor. Just make sure you tell them before you start. Good luck =)

Tweetgal98
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 10:07 AM
Before I was preg I was taking nexium too and I found out I m pregnant (12 weeks now by the way) I asked my doctor if it is okay to continue to take nexium, she said it is safe, it wont harm the baby. I have to take nexium because I have Esphagusical (spelling??) reflux. You might want to ask your doctor if you can still take them. Good luck!
dwilmoth
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 11:58 AM
Thanks gals.  I was so miserable yesterday.  I hate to take more meds than I need to while preg but I hurt so bad yesterday I couldn't eat and that's not healthy for the baby either.  I have the esophageal reflux too, it can be so painful.  I didn't know I could still be taking my Nexium.  I have a call into my RN today.  I just changed my pre-natal vitamins.  Does anyone think that could be a factor?  Because I wasn't feeling too bad b4 taht.
Tweetgal98
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 2:04 PM
Hi I definitly know what you mean, hate to take more medicine.. I was the same way and when I found out I m preg I called my dr right way cuz in April I had surgery to remove my gallbladder then next month got pregnant, didnt even know until at the end of May. Must got preg right after my surgery! lol.. anyways I told my ob/gyn that i have esphagiscal reflex and I m taking nexium for it, she told me to go ahead and keep taking it. It will not hurt the baby.
Where are you from?? I m in Nevada.
stinkweedsmommy
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 11:47 PM
hi. when i was pg with my daughter Amy, i got really bad acid reflux, and my doc prescribed protonix and that was a lifesaver.  however that plus antibiotics dont work together so well so she gave be bicitrate and that was really gross going down but definitly a mericle cure!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)