Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

has anyone been given morphine while pregnant?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 1:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

so last night around 10:30 my visions started going crazy so i knew i had a doozy of a migraine coming on so i tried to go to sleep to head it off. well it was SO friggin bad that it ended up keeping me up and it really didn't help that our dog is in heat so we have to keep her in her crate at night so she was howling and making a bunch of noise and i am very sensitive when i have a migraine. and of course my hubby came home around 2 am from the bar piss drunk and puking cause he had gone down there to support a buddy who's band was playing. i finally gave up at 3am and went up to the ER like my Doctor had told me to do if i got another migraine while pregnant. Well i go up there and they start acting like i'm crazy for being there. they kept on asking me "now why are you here exactly?" i had to of told at least 4 people i cam because my OB told me to come if i got another migraine cause i can't take my usual medication. I'm usually on Zomig cause imitrex doesn't work for me. well the doctor comes in and tells me that there is no reason i can't take my Zomig after 13 weeks well that's news to me and i am still NOT going to take it until i talk to one of my Ob's so they gave me a shot for nausea nother shot for the migraine its self and a shot of morphine. now my hubby is all worried cause he didn't think i should have gotten the morphine. It just really bothers me that they gave me the 3rd degree about why i was even there when i was in SO much pain and just sitting there crying. now today i feel like i was the one who went to the bar, all i want to do is sleep but my hubby had to go to his dad's house to watch the Packers game leaving me here with the kids. I just hope my mom actualy shows up today like she said she would, i could use the adult company.

Has anyone else ever been givien morphine while pregnant?

babies

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoriaAnn
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 1:09 PM

i think you're fine...i know docs prescribe tylenol 3 sometimes for different things during pregnancy and tylenol 3 is made from a morphine derivative...i mean, i wouldnt do it every day, but i'm sure you're fine...especially since you're past your first tri

northernmommy
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 1:13 PM

wow i didn't know that tylenol 3 was a derivitive of morphine, i've never personaly had morphine before but i had tylenol 3 with my last pregnancy when i threw out my back.

Quoting LoriaAnn:

i think you're fine...i know docs prescribe tylenol 3 sometimes for different things during pregnancy and tylenol 3 is made from a morphine derivative...i mean, i wouldnt do it every day, but i'm sure you're fine...especially since you're past your first tri

babies

missheard
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 1:17 PM

they gave me morphine when my gallbladder was actin up...I needed it bad....anyhoo you'll be fine.

pregnancy

pregnancy
Wiifeytype1025
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 1:20 PM

I had it with both pregnancies. I had a morphine drip at 35-36 weeks cuz of kidney stones... and i had a shot a few weeks ago cuz of my gall bladder... its safe during pregnancy, but only in small doses. I'm sure it was fine.

Cindy55588
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 1:23 PM

I had two shots when I was in labor because I had to wait 24 hrs to get my epideral so I think they felt sorry for me and gave me the shots--I guess it helped I really don't know

leda10588
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 1:25 PM

I have never been given morphine while pregnant, but my mother was on morphine the entire time she was pregnant with me.  The only consequence for me was having to be weaned off the morphine as a newborn.  I mean you should try to limit how often you need it and how much they give you but that is with any medicines

northernmommy
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 1:30 PM

its only been the one shot and if i do have to go in again for a migraine i'm going to ask not to have it. i really don't like the feeling it leaves me with.

Quoting leda10588:

I have never been given morphine while pregnant, but my mother was on morphine the entire time she was pregnant with me.  The only consequence for me was having to be weaned off the morphine as a newborn.  I mean you should try to limit how often you need it and how much they give you but that is with any medicines

babies

lundaylove
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 2:13 PM

when i was in preterm labor they gave me morphone to try to calm my uterus down. that stuff knocked me out but did nothing to calm my uterus. So i think since thye gave it to me fully aware i was pregnant it should be ok.

Steph.

JOEJULA
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM

Yes morphine is okay when pregnant. But I just want to add that Im sorry that you are by yourself. I know how it feels to need the adault company. I hope your mom shows up.

pregnancy calendar
liss7208
by on Oct. 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM

have you tried fioricet (sp)? i have severe migraines also and my doc prescribed this for me during pregnancy and it worked pretty well....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN