Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

List of safe Medications

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:48 AM
  • 1 Replies

People have been asking me to post up the list of safe medications to take during pregnancy that I got from my doctor.

AVOID: Aspirin, Midol, BC, Goody Poweders, Advil, Aleve, Nuprin, Motrin, or Ibuprofen products.

Headaches, Aches or Pains: Tylenol, Extra Strength Tylenol, Orajel or Anbesol for toothaches

Heartburn: Axid, pepcid, Tagamet or Zantac are all acceptable but these medications must not be taken  with other antacids as the absorption will be affected. Tums, Rolaids, Riopan, Maalox, Mylanta, Maalox Plus, and Mylanta II

Colds, Flus, Sinus and Upper Respiratory Trach Infections: Tylenol Cold, Tylenol Allergy Sinus, Chlor-Trimeton, Benedryl, Sudafed, Triaminic, Dimetapp, Tavist D, Vicks Vapo-Rub, Claritin, Claritin D, and Ayr Nasal spray.

Gas: Gas-X, Mylicon, Phazyme

Coughs: any over the counter cough preparations are acceptable. Try avoiding the ones that contain alcohol.

Sore Throat: Chloraseptic spray, Cepacol spray, and any over the counter throat lozenges.

Fever Blisters: Blistex, Lysine or carmex

Constipation: Colace, Surfak, Metamucil, Citrucel, FiberCon, Milk of Magnesia. Increasing fluid and fiber intake will usually correct this problem with the fewest side effects and the best results. Cereals such as Cracklin' Oat Bran and All-Bran are also helpful.

Diarrhea: Kaopectate, Diasorb, and Imodium AD

Hemorrhoids: Tucks Pads, Preparation H, Anusol, Anusol HC, Witch-Hazel. Mixing a small amount of Preparation H or Anusol with 1% Hydrocortisone will probably give the best results.

Yeast Infection: either vaginal or inthe groin area Monistat, Mycelex, or Gyne-Lotrimin

Insomina: Benedryl, Unisom, Tylenol PM

Saria Lynn due August 8

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
tdolphin1
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:35 AM
I just wanted to add that everyone should always check with their doctor first before taking anything. Most of the things on this list aren't on mine, mine is very small. lol (example, I'm only allowed regular strength tylenol)I don't understand how some doctor's say one thing is okay while another one says it isn't. They really need to get together and make a universal list for all doctors to give their patients. I'm sure you all will agree that we have enough to worry about with out the doctors confusing us even more. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)