Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mucus plug?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:19 PM
  • 3 Replies
ok this is my first pregnancy and i was woundering im 37 weeks and 3 days pregnant and i dont think ive lost my mucus plug,  any way at my dr appoinment if they do an exam can they tell if ive lost it or not?  how do they know or how do i know?
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
riotgrrl
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 1:34 PM
You probably would have noticed if you'd "lost" it. It has the same consistency as snots, usually white and/or light yellow with some streaks of blood in it. With one pregnancy I lost mine in the shower and with the other two I noticed it when I was wiping on the toilet. I put lost in quotes because it doesn't go away for good, it renews itself constantly after it initially comes out. I always found that after I lost it, I had a mucousy discharge and had to wear panty liners. The doctor will be able to feel if it is still there when they are checking your cervix to feel if it is dialating. Some women loose the plug up to weeks before labor, some don't loose it until they are in active labor. Don't worry about it too much.
MrS.GiFFord
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:00 PM
When I officially lost mine at 40 weeks or so it had bloody streaks in it and I'm pretty sure that's what is known as "the bloody show" and it's the actual losing of the plug. Pretty nasty stuff but that's labor for ya!
rfurlongg
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 2:08 PM
with my 1st pg when i lost mly mucus plug it was very obvious. (TMI) it was a blob of snot looking stuff streaked with blood in my panties. i went into labor withint 24 hrs of loosing my plug. he was born at 37 weeks 3 days. however, with my second child i didn't have the same experience, infact if i didn't know better i'd say i never lost it. i went into labor at 38 wks on the dot, even during labor i was never aware of having lost it. my midwife said some women lose it little by little and can be mistaken as discharge, i assume that is what happened the second time around. so i don't know if the difference is first pg vs second pg or if everyone pg is completely unique. but that's my story. let know if you have any questions!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)