Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

34 weeks- only gained 8 lbs so far??!! Anyone else dealing with similar?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:54 PM
  • 29 Replies
Hey all. New on the boards. Here's the 411: I'm 34 weeks gained 10 lbs and have now lost 2 lbs. I basically went from 158 to 168 and now I'm down to 166 lbs. I have eatten relatively healthy throughout the pregnancy, I'm not going gonzo with the excersize or anything like that, but for the past 6 weeks or so I have no had much of an appetite at all. I have, however, been drinking a LOT of water.

I don't deny myself any food. If I have a craving for cheesecake, by golly I'll have some cheesecake. I'll eat anything pretty much.

My OB said that I am measuring where I'm supposed to be measuring and as long as I keep measuring correctly then she is not concerned about my lack of weight gain.

Has anyone else experienced this? My husband is driving me nuts, telling me that I need to eat more, but I really don't feel like eatting more. My OB said not to force myself to eat if I don't feel like eatting, but honestly I'm starting to get paranoid.

Any advice is welcomed!

by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2manygirls
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 11:04 PM
i haven't experinced this, (i'm 11 weeks with my #3 and lost 14lbs, i've now gained back about 4) but if your OB says everything is looking good, i wouldn't force myself to eat either

www.chemoisharder.com 

dwilmoth
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 9:24 AM
I am 21 weeks and have lost 12lbs.  My MD is not concerned.  When I was 8w6d I had an U/S, baby measured 19w4d.  So he is getting what he needs.  Food just looks disgusting to me most days, and it hasn't gotten any better in 2nd tri.  As my hubby says, "Don't borrow trouble."  If your MD isn't concerned then don't worry about it either.  As long as baby is growing normally your good.  If it was a concern your MD would put you on a supplement like Ensure. 
mommymadness
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 9:32 AM
wow, not that I want to deprive my baby or anything but wouldn't it be nice to only gain 10-15 lbs the whole pregnancy?  Darn I gain like 50 lbs when I'm prego so far I've gained 4 but I've just gained that in 2 weeks.

luvmyguyandgirl
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 9:36 AM
If your OB says it's fine and the baby is fine, I wouldn't worry.  I'm with the p.p...I wish I could only gain 10 pounds!  I gain a lot when I'm pregnant.  I go to the doctor next week...I dread getting on the scale.  It doesn't matter what I do...I gain.  I have lost so far, but it's been a month since I went.  Don't worry!

beco8627
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2007 at 9:46 AM
Geez, if only I could have only gained like 5 pounds so far.....I'm 26 weeks and I have gained a total of 31 pounds so far! Thats what i found out when I went to my appointment on the 16th. This is my first pregnancy, and I think that I just dont know how to control myself when it comes to my cravings and such. And I'm always too tired to go for walks outside (I would be more prone to it if it were say in the fall and not the boiling summer!) But anyhow, during my one friends first pregnancy, she only gained 7 throughout the whole thing and her son came out weighing 6 pounds. And my other friend is on her sencond pregnancy (gave birth yesterday!) and she only gained 8 pounds. Durning her first though, she gained roughly 60 pounds...her doctor said "your not doing that this time!" She sure didnt! Anyways, I'm getting to the point of telling you it's perfectly normal, if your doctor says the baby is healthy
odel03
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 10:06 PM
33 weeks here - 0 pounds gained, 0 pounds lost.  I do have the advantage that I started out overweight - at 5'9" I'm 230 pounds.  My hubby tells me to eat more.  If I eat anything more I'm gonna throw up.  I'm actually sick of eating!!!  My doc said same as yours - as long as I keep measuring okay, then he's not going to be too upset, though he would like to see me gain weight.  With my first daughter, I only gained 12 pounds by the end.  Walked out of the hospital 20 pounds lighter than I was when I became pregnant.  Looks like pregnancy is a great diet for me.  Of course, in both cases, I've had extreme morning sickness - vomitting and all that joy.

Though this is a slightly twisted way of looking at it, this is what my reg doctor told me -- the baby is like a parasite.  It will take the nutrients it needs from your body as long as your body has them (whether in storage or in what you eat).  So, make sure you eat the nutrients you need.  If you can keep the prenatal vitamins down without throwing them up, take them (I throw them up every time I take them so I have to take Flinstones instead).  Your body is going to suffer a little from deficiencies.  I have never been anemic before in my life, but when I was pregnant with my daughter I got darn close (Wouldn't be surprised if I am this time - red meat is soooo not appealing to me now).  So, the long and short of it?  Eat healthy, drink water, stay hydrated, and take your vitamins.  Look at it this way - at least you won't have all that baby weight to lose.
KinaC
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 10:11 PM
If your doc says you are fine, then you are fine. I am a little jealous, I have gained over 10 pounds already. I don't really eat that much. Don't worry about eating more, you are probably a small framed woman. Don't worry, always stay positive!

Lilypie Baby Ticker
Bea83
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 10:16 PM
Hello, i'm curently 31 weeks prego and i've only gained like 10 lbs and my doctor says the same thing as long as the stomache is measuring good, so i wouldn't worry about it too much..
sehvaydaNtevin
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 10:20 PM
I know how you feel... I am 34 weeks and I have only gained 6 pounds.  I have been under a lot of stress at home, I work 40 hours a week and I have 2 kids (2&4) so I keep really busy.  I started off slightly overweight, so they told me that a proper weight gain would be about 20 puonds and I just keep loosing. I gained 2, lost 2, gained 4, gained 2, lost 2, gained 2 back... it's been insane.  I was freaking out thinking that the baby wouldn't be getting enuff of what she needs too.  I gained 32 w/ my daughter, & 27 w/ my son.  But just keep doing what ur doing.  I mean if the movement slows down alot or ur in pain, then call ur Dr, but otherwise u should be just fine.  I'm measureing 36 weeks & already dialated to 1 cm and 70 % thinned, so at least ur not there yet! lol... baby will be fine... good luck!! 
vivalaham
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 11:57 PM
i wouldn't worry about it my mom only gained like 11 pounds the entire time with me, and im fine haha. i was a little one though, 6 pounds.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)