Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Question

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:46 AM
  • 10 Replies

I had my little one on 11/19 and I went back to school that following Monday. It sounds crazy but I only need two weeks to graduate and I didn't want to repeat the semester. Anyways, I breast fed him for the first 4 days and I haven't since I went back to school because of the stress and the time it took to breastfeed..etc. I am done with school and I wanted to know if I start putting him on the breast will the milk return. I will be home with him for a couple of months before I begin to work and I wanted to see if I could make the milk return. Thanks.

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goodson_2008
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:48 AM

No I dont think your milk will come back once your milk is gone its gone. But I'm not 100 % postive. Good luck

Wife to military man Josh and Mommy to Jayden :)

Lovin_LiL_ViC
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:51 AM

If you still have some milk, yes there is a POSSIBLITY with work like hanging baby there a lot, using a pump for stimuli, and things that are supposed to help lactation. If all the milk is gone, there is probably little to no chance... I am gonna say no chance but I am not an expert and dr. google just told me no....

american flag ribbonbaby boyexpecting baby

momofthree22
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:54 AM

If I sqeeze there are little drops that come out. I have a pump so I plan to use it, plus have the baby. I read in one of my books that it could come back, but I wanted to see if you ladies have had a similiar situation.

Kissybratzmom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:54 AM

I'm not sure, but I just wanted to say that I had my lil guy on Nov 19th as well!

momofthree22
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:55 AM

Congrats=)

Quoting Kissybratzmom:

I'm not sure, but I just wanted to say that I had my lil guy on Nov 19th as well!

1sttime_mommy2b
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:59 AM

I think it will if you KEEP AT IT!  Every two hours if possible.  ALso Lots of skin on skin contact will help to.

jupiter84
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:00 AM

It may be difficult but it is possible.  I have even heard of adoptive mom's who are able to stimulate lactation.  It takes a lot of work but it can be done.  Since you are still producing a little it shouldn't be quite as difficult.  I wouldn't worry about the pump.  Just let the baby eat as much as it wants.  The baby nursing is the best stimuli.  Good luck!

LeanneC
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:00 AM

Absolutely!  Will baby still latch?  That is more than half the battle! 

If he will latch, aim for 10-12 sessions a day.  Keep feeding him formula as well, but nurse him for as long as he will have it before each bottle (get him before he's actually hungry!).    If you want, getting an SNS will allow you to supplement at the breast... but if he will go back and forth between breast and bottle, that's fine too.

The more stimulation he gives your breast, the quicker your milk will return.  Once you start producing again, start weaning off the formula.

Here are some links:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

clovismommy25
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:06 AM

Yes, your milk will come back, it hasn't dried up, it takes anywere from 6 months to a year for it to dry up completely! An adoptive mother can nurse her baby if she really wanted to, she just has to want it and put baby to breast alot. Nurse him at least once every two hours, if not every hour until you have a good supply. This could take several weeks, but it will happen. If you have anyother questions, feel free to PM me or check out one of the breastfeeding groups. ( I am training, (slowly) to be a LLL) {And anything I don't know, I can ask my mom, she is a nurse}

doulala
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:46 AM

Relactation takes dedication, but is certainly possible. And worth it! :-)

Please read through some kellymom info: (and good luck!)

Home > Breastfeeding > Adoptive Breastfeeding & Relactation

Relactation and Induced Lactation Resources

Bibliography

By Kelly Bonyata, BS, IBCLC

Relactation

@

@ other websites

Induced Lactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding

@

@ other websites

Publications (most recent listed first)

Books

Journal Articles

Relactation

Home > Breastfeeding > Adoptive Breastfeeding & Relactation

Adoptive Breastfeeding & Relactation

Common concerns

More on...

"Extras" for increasing supply

From Dr. Jack Newman

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)