Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Children and Bottles

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:11 AM
  • 48 Replies

When do you think children should stop drinking from a bottle?

My husband thinks it is okay to give his son a bottle full of CHOCOLATE milk every night before bed. I can't imagine the damage it is doing to his teeth. Not to mention he is wetting his bed more than he should because he is given this bottle to go to bed with and then falls asleep with a full bladder. Oh yeah, he is FIVE years old.

Do you agree with me that he is way to old for this? He is making me feel like the crazy one but I just don't think it is right?!?? What are your thoughts???

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hotmama708
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:18 AM

I had a bottle of chocolate milk before bed till I was like 5 years old as well. In my opinion, I believe it is absolutely ridiculous. I had yellow teeth when I was in kindergarten (even tho my mom made sure I brushed AT LEAST twice a day.) I also needed braces to correct an overbite. I am not saying that all this was because of the bottle, but it could have been. I don't plan on letting my daughter have a bottle after one year. As a matter of fact, I am already sippy-cup-training her (she is five months.)

All kids are different. I also said my daughter would NEVER suck on a paci. I was BEGGING the nurse for one for DD while we were still in the hospital. However, by 5 years of age, it should not be necessary to have a bottle before bed...again, this is just my opinion and I am sure that different children have different needs.

smushy79
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:19 AM

Yeah 5 is waaaaay too old! I broke my kids by 1 yr. Some say that is early but that is what worked for us.

Your DH is not doing his son any favors by putting him to bed with a bottle and then not brushing the poor kids teeth! Does his son go to the dentist? maybe the dentist could gave daddy-o a talking to!

jridgill
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:20 AM

At one year take and in 2 days they won't even remember.

MommyIvy
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:20 AM

I believe he is too old for a bottle. My son is fixing to turn one and I am hoping to get him broke of it soon. At least by the time he is 1 and a half.

hotmama708
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:21 AM

At leat he is not giving DS soda in the bottle. Unfortunately, I have witnessed this with my own eyes!!! lololol (well, actually it's not funny at all)

LeanneC
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:23 AM

My thoughts are that a child should not be getting chocolate milk on a daily basis, let alone right before bed!   I am all for a child needing comfort to fall asleep.  I understand that completely, I nursed my son to sleep for 2 years straight... But your son is FIVE.  And he's not nursing to sleep, he's getting a bottle of chocolate milk which presents the possibility of several dental issues.

I would just throw out the bottles and stop buying chocolate if I were you.   He's old enough now to understand when you talk to him, so although you probably will deal with some crying (which is what I am guessing your DH is trying to avoid?) it's okay if he cries.  When I nightweaned my son I just held him and comforted him to sleep instead of nursing him.   If your son needs some help to get to sleep still, then give that to him.

Krysden
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:24 AM

In my opinion, 5 is way to old to have a bottle of anything, and I also agree that the chocolate milk is not good for the teeth.

My son was off bottles completely within a week of his first birthday. If I remember right, he also quit taking a right before bed feeding about that same time. He is 5 now and the only thing he gets to drink within an hour of bedtime is a few sips of water if he is actually thirsty.  I certainly hope your husband is the one cleaning up his sons nighttime accidents since he is the one that thinks the bottle of milk is fine.  Good Luck.
Krys.

Roque819
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:27 AM

5 years old is way to old for them to continue with the bottle. I'd say no later than 2 at the VERY latest.

KareBear0609
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:28 AM

I totally would but he is my step-son and with step parents it is "all the responsibility without any authority"

Quoting LeanneC:

My thoughts are that a child should not be getting chocolate milk on a daily basis, let alone right before bed!   I am all for a child needing comfort to fall asleep.  I understand that completely, I nursed my son to sleep for 2 years straight... But your son is FIVE.  And he's not nursing to sleep, he's getting a bottle of chocolate milk which presents the possibility of several dental issues.

I would just throw out the bottles and stop buying chocolate if I were you.   He's old enough now to understand when you talk to him, so although you probably will deal with some crying (which is what I am guessing your DH is trying to avoid?) it's okay if he cries.  When I nightweaned my son I just held him and comforted him to sleep instead of nursing him.   If your son needs some help to get to sleep still, then give that to him.

starlight211984
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:30 AM

a lot of pediatricians say not after 1 but also when they have milk sitting on their teeth all the time it will cause bottle rot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)