Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The beginnings of a miscarriage? help!

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:24 AM
  • 10 Replies

This is my second pregnancy and I'm 6 weeks along. I am having some clear brownish discharge (like theres some blood in it) I never had this with my son,...I never had any blood ever until he was born so I don't know what to think about this. It seems too late in the pregnancy to be implantation bleeding. I thought that occured around week 4. I'm just worried! I haven't been to the doc yet. Does anyone know why this might be happening? I haven't had sex so I know it's not that. I go to the doc next week. Would they be able to tell without doing an ultrasound?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:25 AM

I don't know mama, but here's a bump!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:28 AM

Ive been told its normal.  Brown blood is old blood.  If its red you should be calling your OB right away.  I had bleeding at 6 weeks too and baby is great. 

I had a miscarriage in May, I was 5 weeks. I had never ever bleed with my 2 boys, so when I started bleeding I was alarmed and called the doc. They said to monitor it. Well as the day wore on the bleeding became heavier and was bright red. I would say watch for that. i would also go to the doc and have them do an U/S to see what is going on. Best wishes and I hope everything is ok.

drink some water, put your feet up and call the doc... It may very well be NOTHING to worry about, so relax as best you can.

Nobody but the Dr can really tell you what is going on, but if you are not in pain, chances are you are okay.  But, call the Doc asap and let them know, k?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Brown blood means old blood. I never had any bleeding with any of my pregnancies either but my sister had a little brown bleeding around 6 weeks and the doc said it was probably old period blood that didnt' quite make it out in time and its doing it now to make room for the baby. Everything was fine and on the 20th her little man will be 1. Keep your head up stay postive, if the blood is red or turns red go to the ER. As for if the can tell without an ultrasound they can't this early. Or if they can I just dont know about it lol. I hope this helps Mama.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Thanks for the help. I've read several things that say just slight brownish discharge isn't anything to worry about, but if if turns to red and gets heavier I should go to the doc. Hopefully when I go to the doc next week they will find a heartbeat. I'm such a worry wort anyways. I guess all I can do is just pray that everything is ok!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:12 PM

I spotted off and on until I was around 15 or 16 weeks and was fine. It was always that brown,  so I didnt worry too much.

Good luck

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:15 PM

i just wanted to say...usually old blood is brown.

me personally? i had a period the first part of my pregnancy. i didnt even know i was pregnant until 12 weeks, when i took a test because i was so sick every morning. shrug. some women have periods their WHOLE pregnancy...

try not to worry too much. and trust your instincts.

I am a SELECTIVELY Vaccinating, Co-Sleeping, Breastfeeding, Feed-on-demand  Anti-CIO, circumsicing, Baby wearing, Momma to a SIDS angel. Catholic, WAHM, ENGAGED, Video game-playing type of mommy. Who are YOU to judge ME!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I had the brown blood right after I found out,I was about 4 1/2 weeks and I went to the er and everything was fine.The doc said brown blood is nothing to worry about.Well Last Sunday I started bleeding bright red heavy blood like a period but wasnt cramping or passing clots and went to the er and my levels were still up.Well today I had an u/s to confirm everything is fine,I saw the baby and heart beating and the tech said she see's no reason why I was bleeding.So with some woman i'm proof you can bleed in pregnancy and everything be okay.BUT i would still call your doc to be safe especially if you cramp or pass clots.

Pregnancy ticker

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 1:43 PM

i had brownish clear discharge when i was 6 weeks and went to the ER  cause I was freaking out! but it turned out to be nothing! the baby was just fine and i am now 24 weeks along! no worries but if  you are super freaked call your doc they could get you in sooner!!!

pregnancy week by week
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)